X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

The Bob hits seventy thread!

For those of you interested in the wonderful Mr Dylan, here's an affectionate piece from John Harris in the Guardian. Happy birthday Bob!
    Ten years ago, John Harris was within seconds of a meeting Bob Dylan – until Eric Clapton stole him away. Now he talks to those who have been granted an audience with rock's greatest enigma
  • Paul Sherratt

Which Birthday Bob song would you select for Radio 3's ' Breakfast ' John ( and everyone who knows me ) ?
    Last edited by Guest; 19-05-11, 22:25.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

=johncorrigan;55984]For those of you interested in the wonderful Mr Dylan, here's an affectionate piece from John Harris in the Guardian. Happy birthday Bob!
      http://www.guardian.co.uk:80/music/2...ocker-turns-70
      Happy birthday Bob indeed. One of the soundtracks of my life from "Freewheelin" onwards. Only saw him live once, on the 1983-4 tour - an amazing performance in which he went through the song book.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

The recorded version of Tangled Up in Blue.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

He's been with me ever since someone brought an LP to school which we somehow managed to play in the lunch break in the music classroom. It was the Mid-Sixties and we were mid-teens. I can't even remember which songs we heard but it hit me between the eyes.

Comment

• Mr Pee
            • Nov 2010

I must admit that I've never really "got" Bob Dylan. I always thought he sounded as though he had cotton wool stuffed up his nostrils.
            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
              Which Birthday Bob song would you select for Radio 3's ' Breakfast ' John ( and everyone who knows me ) ?
              I've been really enjoying 'John Wesley Harding' of late and would probably go for the wonderful 'Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest'. I also think Love and Theft is terrific of the later records and would definitely plump for 'High Water Rising (for Charlie Patton)'. Of course, ask me next week and I'd tell you something different. Thanks for asking Paul...what about yourself? :cool2:

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Interestingly, or not, Paul Simon also 70 this year - we are all getting old brothers and sisters - says in a recent interview...."One of my deficiencies is my voice sounds sincere," Simon says. "I've tried to sound ironic. I don't. I can't. Dylan, everything he sings has two meanings. He's telling you the truth and making fun of you at the same time. I sound sincere every time"

My Breakfast on 3 track - The Times They Are A'Changin'
                Last edited by antongould; 19-05-11, 23:10. Reason: G too many

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>>what about yourself.

Well I'd be tempted by ' One More Cup Of Coffee ' for Breakfast but will go with ' John Brown '

Interesting that Paul Simon observation as I've been smiling/laughing at Dylan's songs for some years now
                  Perhaps it's because we almost share birthdays ..

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Quotable Quote

"I didn't come out of a cereal box."

— Bob Dylan

Restaurant Guide

"Every restaurant in Dharamshala holds its unique identity. Himalaya restaurant at Dharamshala offers best Tibetan food at an affordable price. If you would like to try some tasty special Muesli, then JJI's café is the best destination. It will give you the experience of food in the background music of Bob Dylan".

Breakfast with Bob

Los Angeles Times music critic Robert Hilburn talks about Bob Dylan from his rock memoir book "Cornflakes with John Lennon (and Other Tales From a Rock 'n' R...

Best Dylan line from Porridge

"What Bob Dylan?"
                    Fletch: "No the hippy rabbit from the magic roundabout".

(Yesterday's) Scrambled Eggs

"Dylan had a particular dislike of McCartney's "Yesterday", a song which originally had an opening verse of "Scrambled Eggs/Oh, my baby how I love your legs". According to Bob, "If you go into the Library of Congress, you can find a lot better than that. There are millions of songs like 'Michelle' and 'Yesterday' written in Tin Pan Alley". Ironically, he ultimately recorded his own version of "Yesterday" four years later, but it was never released".

Early Morning Zimmerman

Orange Juice Blues

Marmalade Records

"Marmalade Records was a short-lived British independent record label (distributed by Polydor). Started by Swiss-resident Georgian pop impresario and ex-manager of both the Rolling Stones and the Yardbirds Giorgio Gomelsky in 1967, it released records by artists including Julie Driscoll and Brian Auger and The Trinity, who jointly reached No. 5 in the UK in 1968 with Dylan and Danko's "This Wheel's on Fire"."

Grapefruit Moon Gallery - Dylan on Von Schmidt

Hard Boiled in the Highlands

"Well, it must be a holiday, there's nobody around
                    She studies me closely as I sit down
                    She got a pretty face, with long white shiny legs
                    I said, "Tell me what I want," she say, "You probably want hard boiled eggs."

One More Cup Of (Turkish) Coffee

Last edited by Guest; 20-05-11, 00:56.

Comment

• barber olly

Which Birthday Bob song would you select for Radio 3's ' Breakfast ' John
                      Got to be 'Like a Rolling Stone' the Dylan song that changed everything, but the Traveling Wilbury's 'End of the Line' would be all right!
                      Interesting Paul Simon also 70, His 'Old Friends' ready and waiting for him!

Old friends, old friends,
                      Sat on their parkbench like bookends
                      A newspaper blown through the grass
                      Falls on the round toes
                      of the high shoes of the old friends

Old friends, winter companions, the old men
                      Lost in their overcoats, waiting for the sunset
                      The sounds of the city sifting through trees
                      Settle like dust on the shoulders of the old friends

Can you imagine us years from today,
                      Sharing a parkbench quietly
                      How terribly strange to be seventy

Old friends, memory brushes the same years,
                      Silently sharing the same fears.

Whilst we mention ageing I can't believe that many of my Conductor idols from way back are now 80 or thereabouts!

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I love that song - "Old Friends". Neither hoped to die before they got old. Good on them. They got their wish.

(Have to say that just those two, among many, have given me more pleasure than the combination of all of the books I have ever read.)

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

love em all really but the album that really does it for me is Planet Waves [yeh yeh i know all the others and love em]

i must go and listen to the albums ...

had a great road experience with my pal driving through the high desert in Arizona with The Rolling Thunder Tour blasting on the hifi and singing at the tops of our voices ....
                          According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• antongould
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
                            Got to be 'Like a Rolling Stone' the Dylan song that changed everything, but the Traveling Wilbury's 'End of the Line' would be all right!
                            Interesting Paul Simon also 70, His 'Old Friends' ready and waiting for him!

Old friends, old friends,
                            Sat on their parkbench like bookends
                            A newspaper blown through the grass
                            Falls on the round toes
                            of the high shoes of the old friends

Old friends, winter companions, the old men
                            Lost in their overcoats, waiting for the sunset
                            The sounds of the city sifting through trees
                            Settle like dust on the shoulders of the old friends

Can you imagine us years from today,
                            Sharing a parkbench quietly
                            How terribly strange to be seventy

Old friends, memory brushes the same years,
                            Silently sharing the same fears.
                            Or a later view

The human race walked the earth for 2.7 million
                            And we estimate the universe at 13-14 billion
                            When all these numbers tumble into your imagination
                            Consider that the lord was there before creation
                            God is old
                            We’re not old
                            God is old
                            He made the mold

Take your cloths off
                            Adam and eve

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Desolation Row - the pinnacle of Dylan's greatest album (IMV ). The phantasmagoria of images trooping past the mind and imagination of the listener never fails to astonish. And I love it also for the soaring guitar obbligato, played by Nashville sidesman Charlie McCoy who only called into the studio to pick up some theatre tickets from the producer but was invited to pick up an acoustic guitar and play along.

At over 8 minutes, though, it may be a bit on the long side for "Breakfast"
                              Last edited by Guest; 20-05-11, 08:46. Reason: punctuation

Comment

Working...
                              X