X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Bob's late lounge period continues

It would seem that Dylan's got a new record coming out next month. Sounds like he had a few leftovers from the rather enjoyable 'Shadows in the Night'. Seems we can expect 'That ole Black Magic' among others from His Bobness. But here's a rather delightful take on 'Melancholy Mood' for starters.
    “Melancholy Mood” from Bob Dylan’s album ‘Fallen Angels’ out now!Amazon: http://smarturl.it/FallenAngelsAmziTunes: http://smarturl.it/FallenAngelsApple Music...
  • Lat-Literal
    • Aug 2015

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
    It would seem that Dylan's got a new record coming out next month. Sounds like he had a few leftovers from the rather enjoyable 'Shadows in the Night'. Seems we can expect 'That ole Black Magic' among others from His Bobness. But here's a rather delightful take on 'Melancholy Mood' for starters.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2xBaX5awlc
    Nice.

I prefer it to some of the tracks on "Shadows" as it is less mannered.

How many albums has he released so far?

The mind boggles.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
      Nice.

I prefer it to some of the tracks on "Shadows" as it is less mannered.

How many albums has he released so far?

The mind boggles.
      Dylan is always interesting - I really can't make up my mind about his take on the standards. Tuning is not a strong point with him! If you or I brought out an album sung similarly and that would not be hard, I doubt the album would be released, but maybe could do as good a job! - however because it's Bob ....
      At times his voice reminds me of Peter Sellers singing 'All the things you are' whilst shaving on 'The Best of Sellers'.
      I would love to hear Leonard Cohen tackling a similar set - the results could be more convincing and frankly stunning.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Dylan is always interesting - I really can't make up my mind about his take on the standards. Tuning is not a strong point with him! If you or I brought out an album sung similarly and that would not be hard, I doubt the album would be released, but maybe could do as good a job! - however because it's Bob ....
        At times his voice reminds me of Peter Sellers singing 'All the things you are' whilst shaving on 'The Best of Sellers'.
        I would love to hear Leonard Cohen tackling a similar set - the results could be more convincing and frankly stunning.

Tom Waits would probably be my choice in that respect but what Dylan always brings is a fascinating series of questions. Some of his renditions on the last CD sounded like he was being serious and not being serious. If so, it is quite a clever approach because he knows that his voice was not designed for those songs. Plus.....plus, I know that when I dig out very old recordings, there is that sort of approach to it because it is a different style. The recording techniques were basic. You just know that many will react to them as if they were corn. The challenge is to get us all beyond that point and to see their value in their own right. That requires an acceptance of their idiosyncrasy from a modern perspective.

One of the ironies, of course, is that a lot of what people consider to be sophisticated in the here and now is rather crass. There is also less scope today for doing anything other than copying something that came before. I am just wondering if with the new set of songs - the outtakes - we might have a straighter Dylan. "You thought I couldn't sing these in anything but an exaggerated Dylan voice but I can" etc. We have been here with him in the "Nashville Skyline" era and there were also considerable differences between the Dylan on "Slow Train Coming" and what was supposed to be its companion piece "Saved". Alternatively, it could just be a further selection much in the vein of "Shadows in the Night".
        Last edited by Lat-Literal; 13-04-16, 23:09.

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Always interesting indeed, cloughie. When you listen to the comparable songs by Sinatra that Bob performed on 'Shadows', Frank sounds like he's singing them in a late night bar. Dylan's versions are a lot darker to my mind - he sounds like he's performing them in a late night forest. I agree with Lat that 'Melancholy Mood' sounds more melodic in some ways, but it still feels dark to me - and I love it.

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Here's Bob doing another tune from the incoming record! This time it's'All the Way'. What a Bob he is!
            “All The Way” from Bob Dylan’s album ‘Fallen Angels’ out now!Amazon: http://smarturl.it/FallenAngelsAmziTunes: http://smarturl.it/FallenAngelsApple Music: ht...

...and by the way, here's a crackin' vid from his last Frank-inspired record.
            "The Night We Called It A Day," the new video from Bob Dylan's album Shadows In The Night, directed by Nash Edgerton, Shadows In The Night is available now: ...

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Just ordered.

Comment

Working...
              X