Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

I've had a revisit to the Corries lately - they were a fine Scottish duo. I thought I should post something appropriate for the birthday of our national bard, but the film of 'Ae Fond Kiss' was a bit jumpy; so in the end I went for this brilliant wee film made in '66 with the lads doing 'Killiekrankie'. I tell you, they wouldnae try that on the A9 these days.
    The Corries Pitlochrie to KilliecrankieLink to http://www.thecorries.com for DVDs,CDs, etc.

Last week Gruts for tea...back to haggis this week. This must have been posted just after Roy Williamson's death.

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

Raking through a drawer of old CDs, I found a collection of Chavela Vargas that I had forgotten I had. It's a glorious day here in West Angus with the sun shining brightly and I really should go for a walk, but I'm finding it tough to leave the delicious sounds that are drifting through the house. What a voice for an International Women's Day, or any other day for that matter.
      Este amor apasionadoanda todo alborotado por volver.Voy camino a la locuray aunque todo me tortura, sé querer.Nos dejamos hace tiempopero me llegó el momento...

Comment

• Globaltruth
        Host
        • Nov 2010

erm, another thread reminded me of this for some reason...

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

Teddy Afro's 'Ethiopia' turned up on Stu's Sunday Funday Freakzone this evening on BBC radio 6 - hadn't heard it in a while - brings a smile to the face.
          Teddy Afro drops yet another breathtaking visuals for their newest smash new single "Ethiopia"! www.Teddyafromuzika.com

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

In celebration of oor Bard's birthday, here's Dick Gaughan singing 'Now Westlin Winds' live, back in 1989. Such a unique voice and wonderful performance of this great Burns song..
            Dick Gaughan's live appearance on "Aly Bain and Friends" singing the Robert Burns song, originally featured on Gaughan's 1980 album, "Handful of Earth"Burns'...

I should say that he winds have not been quite so romantic of late in these pairts.

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

The Shoals of Herring on R3 this morning, certainly a while since I last heard it.
              Those Radio Ballads were quite something.

Comment

• Padraig
                • Feb 2013

John, I don't know if Kelvin Grove is a Burns poem but seeing what day it is I'll chance it. On my very first day teaching, in a school not yet finished, with no books or equipment or room of my own, I was landed with a class of girls! and the first unaccompanied strains that meandered down the corridors of the new school came from that historic rendering of Kelvin Grove.

Kelvingrove - YouTube

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                  John, I don't know if Kelvin Grove is a Burns poem.​
                  Don't think it is Padraig, but worth a wee listen certainly, and Kelvin Grove is still well worth a visit too..

I inherited an old cassette player last year and attached it to the sound system and have been digging out some old tapes since then. On the 25th I went looking for an old tape I was sure I had somewhere. I taped it from the radio back in the mid-eighties.The radio programme was called 'The Miller's Reel', a play written by Donald Campbell based on the songs and letters of Robert Burns. In the programme David Hayman plays the lover with Phyllis Logan as his lass. The songs were sung by Jean Redpath and the much underrated Rod Patterson - all arrangements were by Serge Hovey and accompanied by the Edinburgh Quartet. I often think it deserves another run-out somewhere - it's a terrific piece of work, as good an interpretation of Burns as I have ever heard and to my ears stands up really well. I can't find anything from the programme itself, but here's Jean Redpath singing 'There Goes a Bonie Brier Bush'.
                  Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupThere Grows A Bonie Brier-Bush · Jean RedpathThe Songs Of Robert Burns, Vols. 3 & 4℗ 1996 Rounder Records., Distr...

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

I feel distinctly remiss at missing yesterday's 80th anniversary of George Harrison's birthday. My pal gave me a loan of the big 'Revolver' box set and I have been very much enjoying George's song 'Love You To' with its various mixes. Here's the almost finished version with George on vocals with Paul on harmony vocal. George said this was the first tune he ever wrote for the sitar following its use on 'Norwegian Wood' on 'Rubber Soul'. He's playing sitar here, Paul's on tamboura and Ringo is on tambourine. The tabla is played by a young student called Anil Bhagwat - he said that George asked for a tabla player from the Angadis' Asian Music Circle and he was told to turn up at Abbey Road studios. He even gets a mention on the cover. It's probably my favourite of the George songs for the Beatles.
                    Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupLove You To (Take 7) · The BeatlesRevolver℗ 2022 Calderstone Productions Limited (a division of Universal Music G...

Comment

• Globaltruth
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

wow yes, a should-have-used-this-one version. How revolutionary it was...

thanks JC.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                        wow yes, a should-have-used-this-one version. How revolutionary it was...

thanks JC.
                        I seem to think it's still 2023, Global - bit behind the times - it would actually have been George's 81st birthday - but it is such an amazing song.

Talking of folk who are no longer with us, Bob Brozman's name came up in something I was listening to lately. I decided to dig out my old record of him playing with Papua New Guinea stringbands and what an enjoyable morning I've been having - such beautifully uplifting music. A sadly missed musician.
                        From the CD/DVD "Songs Of The Volcano"...http://www.bobbrozman.com/

Here's a tune from the CD.
                        Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesAlir Pukai · Papua New Guinea Stringbands With Bob Brozman · Samuel Mago · Alir Pukai StringbandSongs Of The Vo...

Comment

• Globaltruth
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Prom 51 on AUG. 28… Tinariwen
                          All the way from northern Mali, Tinariwen comes to London for a Late Night Prom that combines traditional Tuareg and African music with elements of Western rock and jazz.

Comment

Working...
                          X