Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Roswell Rudd & Toumani Diabate playing 'Bamako' from the 2001 album 'MALIcool':

JR
    Last edited by Jazzrook; 25-03-21, 13:33.

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Jazzrook View Post
      Roswell Rudd & Toumani Diabate playing 'Bamako' from the 2001 album 'MALIcool':

JR
      Thanks. Never heard that before, JR. Must dig out some more.

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

I may have mentioned elsewhere that I got access back to my vinyl recently and have been enjoying trailing through the old LPs, some of which I had forgotten about. This is one from 1970 Mali - Orchestre Regional de Mopti (The best of the first biennale of Arts and Culture for the Young(1970). Mopti, the sleevenotes inform, is the Venice of Mali with a silver belt. It's been great to revisit this old record. This is titles 'Recital' (Seku Amadou)
        Album: #fakenews (Menart, 2020)Stream Space Song - https://backl.ink/146903469Stream #fakenews - https://backl.ink/102965970Video production: FabrikaDirecto...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Just this morning concluded my year-long trawl through the recorded music in my possession I have not listened to for a long time by listening to Frank Zappa's Civilisation Part III: an uneven yet extraordinary achievement, rounding off two marathons - in my case a specific listening schedule, in his a long musical evolution set out in over 60 recordings, with other stuff I dare say posters have brought to our attentions on this forum, and in 1992 with The Yellow Shark pieces still to come.

I don't know if Frank was just going for sounds that interested him in the closing of this 2-hours long work - what I suppose one could describe as a field recording, with sounds of thunder, birds tweeting, vehicles manoeuvring, and a plane panning across the stereo, but also what sounds as if it could be gunfire emanating from at least two sources? - two telling images in juxtaposition.

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Kershaw's podcast had a request for this piece of music. I believe it was originally recorded live in a living room in Southern Iran in one of Andy's road trips with Andy Parkin, and appeared on one of the pieces related to the series of programmes he made in Bush's 'Axis of Evil'. Still in the WM Archives I would imagine.

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Seeing as it's the birthday of Robert Burns, thought I would go looking for a bit of Rod Paterson, one of my favourite singers of the Bard's tunes. Being a quiet man, Rod has never received the attention he deserved, in my opinion. Here he is singing 'Auld Lang Syne' on the Transatlantic Sessions, with Martyn Bennett on whistle. Happy Birthday, Rabbie.
              A great performance of this poem by Robert Burns on the first Transatlantic Sessions.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                Seeing as it's the birthday of Robert Burns, thought I would go looking for a bit of Rod Paterson, one of my favourite singers of the Bard's tunes. Being a quiet man, Rod has never received the attention he deserved, in my opinion. Here he is singing 'Auld Lang Syne' on the Transatlantic Sessions, with Martyn Bennett on whistle. Happy Birthday, Rabbie.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGkPG4aHnJs
                Didn't have much hopes for this JC - after all, it's a hackneyed classic - what could anyone possibly do to make it listenable? Never bought into the 'timeless classic' idea myself.
                Just goes to show....this makes the old song sound brand new and fresh.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

Heard Jarvis Cocker on the radio this morning, talking about some songs that are important to him. He reminded of the interviews he had with Scott Walker on his Sunday show on BBC Radio 6 and talked about how important Walker had been to his musical development. He chose 'The Old Man's Back Again' - sadly, so appropriate for our times.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

back to 1996 for this one by the Afro Celt Sound System from Volume 1 Sound Magic.
                    One of my all time favourite ACSS tracks - used by Scorsese (should have been a dj) on Gangs of New York.
                    Provided to YouTube by RealWorldRecordsSaor / Free / News from Nowhere · Afro Celt Sound SystemVolume 1 - Sound Magic℗ 1996 Real World Records LtdReleased on...

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

I was talking to my son about the Incredible String Band at the weekend. Then Petroc played 'October Song' yesterday and it set me looking out my ISB records and had a delightful day with the first couple of records. I hadn't heard this one for ages, but it was probably the song that made me first notice them. 'Painting Box' - I would have posted the version of them singing it on the Julie Felix Show, but the lip synch was out, and Julie was trying a bit too hard, so I thought I'd just post the LP version.

Comment

• smittims
                        • Aug 2022

Ah, the joys of Vinyl! I've just been enjoying my old Percy Grainger LPs.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Which reminds me of this piece featuring K. Tickell on smallpipe (2m 47s)

Folk music of Percy GraingerShepherd's HeyNorthern Sinfonia conductor John HarleNorthumbian small piper Kathryn Tickell & friends BBC Proms No.20 2011

haven't heard that one in a while (actually never before)

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                            Which reminds me of this piece featuring K. Tickell on smallpipe (2m 47s)

Folk music of Percy GraingerShepherd's HeyNorthern Sinfonia conductor John HarleNorthumbian small piper Kathryn Tickell & friends BBC Proms No.20 2011

haven't heard that one in a while (actually never before)
                            Very enjoyable - she brings that enthusiasm to her MP programmes, GT. By the way, Percy Grainger gets a wee bit mention in 'The Captain's Apprentice' on radio 4 last week; a story of Ralph Vaughan Williams & English folk song . Not knowing anything much about Williams, I found the first few episodes very interesting indeed, especially the tales of his song collecting in Norfolk.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                              • Nov 2010

Actually I hadn't seen this version of it - Randy accompanying Bonnie Raitt performing his wonderful song 'Feels Like Home' from the 'Faust' album. Call me an old romantic, but this is beautiful.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                                • Nov 2010

It may be mentioned elsewhere on the Forum, but I was very sad to hear of the death of the great frontman of Two-tone and beyond, Terry Hall. The Specials were a special band. Reminded me that I had a couple of tunes by him on a Charlie Gillett collection with Mushtaq and they still sound brilliant. This one is 'The Hour of Two Lights'.

Comment

Working...
                                X