Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Just to celebrate what would have been Hugh Maselela's 80th birthday...born this day in Witbank on the Highveld of Mpumalanga, South Africa on 4th April in 1939.
    Here's Hugh playing 'Thanayi'

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

Just started another Annie Proulx book of short stories -'Bad Dirt' this time. On the first page of the first story Creel Zmundzinski is riding his horse singing '...the pride of the backfield, the hero of his day', and that sent me straight back to the great Terry Allen's epic 'The Great Joe Bob (A Regional Tragedy)'. Reckon I'm in for another period of Terry Allen listening.
      Terry Allen's "Lubbock On Everything" will be released Oct. 14, 2016 on Paradise of Bachelors.Purchase from the label: https://www.paradiseofbachelors.com/sh...

Comment

• Globaltruth
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Whereas for me, I was listening to K. Tickell with Seth Lakeman (everything he does sounds the same...) when she played this, after an excellent and thoughtful introduction:
        Totó La Momposina: El Pescador - Live recording of the actual track from 1991. Just fab.
        Totó La Momposina came to Real World Studios in August 1991 to begin recording what would prove to be her most important album, now re-released on Real World...

that's who I'll be listening to.

So, JC how do we persuade her and Terry Allen to make an album?

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

Was thinking of Madagascar stuff this evening and remembering this great track that once blew me away on Jools Holland many years ago by Justin Vali Trio...wish I could find the vid of it but in the meantime this version of 'Rambala' does very nicely.
          Provided to YouTube by RealWorldRecordsRambala · Justin Vali TrioThe Truth (Ny Marina)â„— 1995 Real World Records LtdReleased on: 2018-09-12Auto-generated by Y...

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Went to see an excellent concert up in a wee venue in Glen Isla last night. Young Scottish singer songwriter and mighty fine guitarist, Rory Butler, has been influenced very much by John Martyn and played a great version of 'Discover the Lover' just to prove it.
            John Martyn plays 'Discover The Lover' live on the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1975. From his 'Sunday's Child' album, it features his echoplex tape delay toward...

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

In the middle of the day, while painting an outside window, who comes on the radio but S.E. Rogie from a recording he made for the Kershaw programme a good while back - he's guaranteed to bring a smile to my face.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Thanks to ferneyhoughgeliebte for reminding us...

Final Days for: Douglas Bader (1982);
                He never flew Spitfires butI instantly thought of this song, which seems appropriate at the moment:

Live at The Frazer Theatre, Knaresborough, North Yorkshire, Friday 11th September 2009
                Last edited by Globaltruth; 05-09-19, 08:46. Reason: seen him yet JC?

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

November, GT. Hope you had a good hol - nowt like a hawthorn and accordion, I say.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

Long day in the car yesterday so I dug through the far reaches of the CD drawers to find some forgotten records to accompany me on the road, and found 'Dear Companion' by Meg Baird, which I seem to recall buying on the recommendation of a certain Mr Sherratt, formerly of this parish. I'd forgotten how good the record was - among the gems a fantastic version of 'Barbara Allen', and this crackin' take on the old Scottish ballad, 'Willie O'Winsbury'.
                    From her 2007 LP "Dear Companion". For those that do not know already, this is her cover of a traditional Scottish ballad. It dates back to at least 1775.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

This edition of Songlines has Radio 3's own Petroc Trelawney choosing 5 playlist tracks for the magazine's 'Top of the World' disc that adorns the front cover. Fine mixture of tracks from Vietnam, Budapest, Cornwall and Kazakhstan, but unsurprisingly he opened with the great Shona voice of Zimbabwe's Thomas Mapfumo, and also reminded us of his time under arrest in Bulawayo.
                      Here's the mighty Mapfumo with PT's choice 'Kuvarira Mukati' (Suffer in Silence).

Comment

• Globaltruth
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Just leaving this here.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Perhaps surprisingly this one has aged well, although we seemed to be heading for a slightly different Grand Correction.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

Never tire of this song...or this record, for that matter.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                              • Nov 2010

Alemayehu Eshete - 'Alteleyeshegnem' was on the radio this morning. I mean, this is just delightful Ethio.
                              Pre-order the new 7'' by Philophon : https://alemayehueshete.bandcamp.com/album/alteleyeshegnemPhilophon : https://www.facebook.com/PhilophonOur Facebook Pag...

Comment

• Jazzrook
                                • Mar 2011

Capital Letters ~ UK Skanking 12" mix from 1979( a John Peel favourite):

& 'Run Run Run':

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

JR
                                Last edited by Jazzrook; 31-01-20, 18:06.

Comment

Working...
                                X