X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1
    • Sep 2024

Obituary: Poly Styrene and Hazel Dickens

In the same week, the sad news that two rather feisty women had died.

On paper, there was not a great deal of similarity between Hazel Jane Dickens, American bluegrass singer, songwriter, double bassist and guitarist, born 1935, Mercer County, West Virginia and Marianne Joan Elliott-Said, punk icon and germ-free adolescent, born 1957, Bromley, Kent. It is very likely that until their deaths, their names had never featured on the same page. And yet one became known for her provocative pro-union, feminist songs and the other for her provocative pro-life, feminist songs. Both will be sadly missed.

While I have always had a love of coal mining ballads, it is the latter who, in truth, has more meaning for me. More my generation, she seemed a little fearsome back in the day, that is, before the humour became apparent, along with the sheer historical significance of the statement. Before too the onset of all the problems with her mental health and then her physical health which were managed with an unusual positivity. And before knowing that at the age of 53 she would still have the air of 19 about her and extraordinarily this would be rather wonderful in its way.

I am reminded of Kirsty MacColl, not simply because of her spirit, her abilities in self-acapella and her untimely passing, but also in respect of their very last cds. There has never been any doubt in my mind that "Tropical Brainstorm" is the former's greatest record. And to my mind "Generation Indigo" - an unashamedly over-produced, big slice of pop splash - is one of the strongest offerings by any artist this year. For someone who always had a good amount to tell, it is a great final say.
    Last edited by Guest; 27-04-11, 01:18.
  • Martin Reynolds

Very sad news about Poly. There weren't too many saxes around in punk.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Lat,
      Hazel Dickens has always been paired in my mind with Violetta Parra for some reason ( probably a visual one )
      Never saw her perform and now she's flown.
      Hazel Dickens (1936-2011). Please read Ms. Dickens' NYT Obituary here: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/23/arts/music/hazel-dickens-bluegrass-singer-dies-at...

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

She had quite a voice, didn't she? Very direct. After writing the above, I found out about Phoebe Snow.

Comment

Working...
        X