X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CallMePaul
    • Jan 2014

Dembo Konte RIP

There seems to have been little or no acknowledgement of the death of the Gambian kora player Dembo Konte. He died on or about 14 Jan 2014, apparently from complications of asthma. I came across this by chance; I decided last week to play one of my old Dembo Konte/ Kausu Kouyate LPs. Realising that I had not heard of him for many years and was aware of no recent recordings, I decided to Google him and was stunned to find that he had died. There is not much information available but this link has some: http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=153393&messages=3).

A few years ago I visited the Gambia and was told that Dembo Konte was living in Sweden. I don't know whether this was in fact the case, but the mudcat website implies that his son at least was living in the Gambia at the time of Dembo's death. Had he been living in Sweden I would have expected him to have toured regularly in Europe. I only saw him live once, in Manchester in 1990 with Kausu Kouyate. I have 3 of his recordings on LP and cassette and I am not aware of any CD transfers (the Rogue label for which he has recorded appears to have ceased trading).

On hearing of Dembo Konte's passing I checked my old copies of Songlines and could find no obituary or even mention of his death, so I have let the magazine know. I do not take Folk Roots but if anyone reading this does, please say whether his death was noted there.
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Thanks for that, Paul. Not sure I knew of him but I had a look on Spotify and recognised having listened to his record 'Gambian Griot Kora Duets' at some point in the not too distant past. Beautiful voice as well as great playing on this with Kausu Kouyate.

Comment

• Globaltruth
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
      There seems to have been little or no acknowledgement of the death of the Gambian kora player Dembo Konte. He died on or about 14 Jan 2014, apparently from complications of asthma. I came across this by chance; I decided last week to play one of my old Dembo Konte/ Kausu Kouyate LPs. Realising that I had not heard of him for many years and was aware of no recent recordings, I decided to Google him and was stunned to find that he had died. There is not much information available but this link has some: http://mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=153393&messages=3).

A few years ago I visited the Gambia and was told that Dembo Konte was living in Sweden. I don't know whether this was in fact the case, but the mudcat website implies that his son at least was living in the Gambia at the time of Dembo's death. Had he been living in Sweden I would have expected him to have toured regularly in Europe. I only saw him live once, in Manchester in 1990 with Kausu Kouyate. I have 3 of his recordings on LP and cassette and I am not aware of any CD transfers (the Rogue label for which he has recorded appears to have ceased trading).

On hearing of Dembo Konte's passing I checked my old copies of Songlines and could find no obituary or even mention of his death, so I have let the magazine know. I do not take Folk Roots but if anyone reading this does, please say whether his death was noted there.
      A brief obituary on the World Music network

and on the WOMAD website

There are quite a few performances by him on YouTube - I am not familiar enough with his work to winnow through them for great ones, but, yes, it is a matter of sadness when a griot's death goes unnoticed.
      I enjoyed this one by the way...
      Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
        A brief obituary on the World Music network
        http://www.worldmusic.net/news/blog/...4/dembo-konte/
        Good story that one, Global.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
          • Aug 2015

I have found this from Andy Kershaw:

My old friend, the Gambian Kora maestro, Dembo Konte died today. I stayed with Dembo and his family, in their compound in Brikama, Gambia, on my very first trip to Africa in December 1986. At...

And here is some more information:

A GRIOT HAS DIED ALHAJI DEMBO CONTEH HAVE PASSED AWAY. THE GAMBIA HAVE LOST A LIBRARY OF KNOWLEDGE, HISTORY & CULTURE Dembo Conte passed away on Tuesday the 14th of January in Brikama at 5 pm...

In 2013, 6 Music featured a recording of him live in an eclectic programme! -

While it is "unavailable", it is still possible to listen to his music there.
          Last edited by Lat-Literal; 22-09-15, 17:29.

Comment

• CallMePaul
            • Jan 2014

Thanks to all of you who gave me the links. Dembo will be sorely missed but thankfully his sons appear to be carrying on the griot tradition.

Comment

Working...
            X