X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Globaltruth
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Listening to Lise Doucet playing a track from Ancient Strings this morning on Desert Island Disco reminded me I think we've missed [another] new album from Ballaké Sissoko, A Touma on Topic.
    Came out towards the end of last year.
    It's a beaut.

Provided to YouTube by IDOLAkilimaya · Ballaké SissokoA Touma℗ Nø Førmat!Released on: 2021-09-10Composer: Ballaké SissokoAuto-generated by YouTube.

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
      Listening to Lise Doucet playing a track from Ancient Strings this morning on Desert Island Disco reminded me I think we've missed [another] new album from Ballaké Sissoko, A Touma on Topic.
      Came out towards the end of last year.
      It's a beaut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qO8zkr2OC0
      I was driving over the new Forth Bridge when she introduced it, Global. She made a great choice there. I love that record 'New Ancient Strings' - the record made me fall in love with the kora.
      Thanks for the reminder about 'A Touma'. Crackin' record.

Talking about two greats coming together, I notice Ry and Taj are making a new record in homage to some of their blues heroes - Sonny and Brownie come to mind.
      Taj Mahal & Ry Cooder discuss the making of their album 'GET ON BOARD' in a conversation with writer Lynell George. The album is out now on Nonesuch Records:...

Due in April.

Comment

• Globaltruth
        Host
        • Nov 2010

DakhaBrakha having a lot of fun - NPR music Tiny Desk concert. Best version of Sho-Z Pod Duba I've ever heard.

People always ask me, "What's your favorite Tiny Desk Concert?" Well, right now it's the one recently performed by DakhaBrakha. The creative quartet from Kie...

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

DakhaBrakha having a lot of fun - NPR music Tiny Desk concert. Best version of Sho-Z Pod Duba I've ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsNKSbTNd5I
          Great stuff, Global - those Tiny Desk people make some great wee concerts.

Here's a couple of old codgers that they should get on Tiny Dask while they can still shake up the dust...Taj and Ry refusing to be moved with some fine moothie in there from Mr Mahal..
          Taj Mahal & Ry Cooder perform "I Shall Not Be Moved" from their upcoming album, 'GET ON BOARD,' out now on Nonesuch Records: https://TajMahalRyCooder.lnk.to/...

Comment

• Globaltruth
            Host
            • Nov 2010

At 75 and 80 years old, the much-loved musicians have finally re-formed to pay tribute to their folk-blues heroes. They explain how old records taught them how to play – and how to live

Comment

• Globaltruth
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Long time residents of this place (well, that's you and me JC) will recall a certain Mr P. Sherratt.

He and I were chatting yesterday in a dreadful social media jungle about Johnny Dowd.
              Here's a recent coupla tracks from the aforementioned, with pretty much the same line up as when I saw him back in 1873 (roughly)
              video by Robert Bolwijn of CatfishfilmsSong by Johnny Dowd from his album Homemade Pie, released 01/01/2022

video by Truus De GrootSong by Johnny Dowd from his album Homemade Pie, released 01/01/2022

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Long time residents of this place (well, that's you and me JC) will recall a certain Mr P. Sherratt.

He and I were chatting yesterday in a dreadful social media jungle about Johnny Dowd.
                Here's a recent coupla tracks from the aforementioned, with pretty much the same line up as when I saw him back in 1873 (roughly)
                video by Robert Bolwijn of CatfishfilmsSong by Johnny Dowd from his album Homemade Pie, released 01/01/2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwLHN1A32cY
                I thought Johnny had managed to get a hotline to Nancy Sinatra for a wee minute there, Global. Good to hear PS is still kickin' around. Great couple of tracks.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

lunch outside today at a Turkish café in a city (a city!), suddenly there was live music from inside.

Not this clip, but close enough:

Faran Ensemble perfurming "Rain"Check out Faran new website :http://faran-ensemble.com/For more music : http://faran.bandcamp.com/Stay in touch with Faran fa...

I'd forgotten quite how fine a listening experience that could be.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

lunch outside today at a Turkish café in a city (a city!), suddenly there was live music from inside.

Not this clip, but close enough:

Faran Ensemble perfurming "Rain"Check out Faran new website :http://faran-ensemble.com/For more music : http://faran.bandcamp.com/Stay in touch with Faran fa...

I'd forgotten quite how fine a listening experience that could be.
                    Blinkin's marvellous, Global. I was in the city of Edinburgh the other day and saw the 82 year-old Mavis Staples and her band play and sing and delight a big crowd. This song was one of the highlights of a terrific set.
                    Listen to the full album here: https://antircrds.io/3Pmh6Ge "Hand Writing On The Wall" by @mavisstaples & @levonhelm9664 from the album 'Carry Me Home', avai...

Comment

• Globaltruth
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Transylvanian dub

Comment

• Globaltruth
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Well, we don't often share Dutch music.
                        This is an artist called Wende singing a song called Voor Alles.

there is something plaintively appealing about it.

The lyrics? Roughly translated (and without punctuation as I have a fear of inadvertently using an Oxford comma) are:

Been afraid of everything always been afraid of everything Been afraid of everything Always been afraid of everything For dreams and demons For exclusion and virtually all unknowns For the elements For people and fatherland For large crowds, for the doorbell and for punishment For patented lunatics and some family members School, and everything that had to come after it For the sight I offer and don't want to offer For the constriction of innate shame Been afraid of everything always been afraid of everything Been afraid of everything Always been afraid of everything For the truth Or rather: the dynamics of hard facts For future, past, the bouncing here and now For types who play with knives For animals although not most For people who sneer at saying they are free from all fear

Comment

• smittims
                          • Aug 2022

Thanks for posting that lyric. I found it quite moving. 'Always been afraid of everything' could have been Franz Kafka's motto.

I too remember Paul Sherratt from the BBC board. Any chance of his coming here?

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                            Thanks for posting that lyric. I found it quite moving. 'Always been afraid of everything' could have been Franz Kafka's motto.

I too remember Paul Sherratt from the BBC board. Any chance of his coming here?
                            I occasionally hear Paul's name crop up recommending a tune or two to Cerys on a Sunday morning, smit - he certainly introduced me to a few fine tunes over the years - sadly, he moved on to pastures elsewhere.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                              I occasionally hear Paul's name crop up recommending a tune or two to Cerys on a Sunday morning, smit - he certainly introduced me to a few fine tunes over the years - sadly, he moved on to pastures elsewhere.
                              He's on Twitter where I am still in touch with him. He tends to post more political comment but occasionally still makes the odd musical recommendation...

Comment

• Globaltruth
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Nigerian artist Emeka Ogboh with the catchily named

Ayilara - 6°30’33​.​372”N 3°22’0​.​66”E

Support the artist and the label, buy it here : https://emekaogboh.bandcamp.com/album/6-30-33372-n-3-22-066-e-DISCLAIMER: All tracks are uploaded in a low qu...

Comment

Working...
                                X