• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Globaltruth
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Joe Boyd book

a Guardian review of Joe Boyd’s book - And the Roots of Rhythm Remain. I haven’t read the book so can do no more than this post.

Is it a biography or a diatribe? Or both? Joe Boyd has been a massive, benign and creative influence on non mainstream British music since the 60s so any book (this is his second) must be treated as significant.

glowing tributes by celebs and more info:

( not sure about the Proust comparison in the review - a distraction)

Last edited by Globaltruth; 19-08-24, 07:47.
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

I don't think it's out till next week, Global, as far as I can determine. I'll certainly be reading it. If it's even half as good as 'White Bicycles' it'll be great. Thanks for flagging it up.

Comment

• johncorrigan
      • Nov 2010

Joe's the guest on KT's 'Music Planet' this evening - always good value.

Comment

• Globaltruth
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
        Joe's the guest on KT's 'Music Planet' this evening - always good value.
        That was a very good programme.

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post

That was a very good programme.
          Thoroughly agree, Global. Joe is such a great raconteur and KT was really enjoying herself - terrific radio.

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Catching up after my trip to Orkney I realised Joe had guested on Cerys last week. He's in there from about two hours in.

Just started reading the book. A lot of reading ahead, starting in South Africa.
            Last edited by johncorrigan; 10-09-24, 14:24. Reason: Slight time and pasting issues!

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

I've arrived in early apartheid SA with Joe and the American influence on the Manhattan Brothers, the first SA superstars, denied passports and visas to travel. There's a lot in this book, but great to stop and listen to some of the music. A playlist with each chapter would have been great. Nevertheless, here's the Mills Brothers-inspired Manhattan Brothers...fab.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                Host
                • Nov 2010

I'm enjoying the super synopsis JC...

Here they are again with Miriam Makeba, which is where I first heard them, via AK I think.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

So great, G. The round ball fraternity will know why I love this - what a fantastic version of 'The Saints Go Marchin' In'...'Abazali Bam'. Sounds like the ball hitting the back of the net for the Buddies.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

Joe talks about a film made in 1959 in Sophiatown on the edge of Johannesburg called 'Come Back Africa', by American Lionel Rogosin. This was made shortly before the destruction of Sophiatown by the Apartheid authorities 'empowered to prevent people of different races residing together.' I haven't seen the whole film, but on youtube I found the trailer and also this 15-minute cutdown version which misses out the narrative and includes all the music. Among other things there's a fantastic bit where Miriam Makeba turns up in a dingy shebeen to give the drinkers a couple of songs, and at the end a wonderful bit of kwela.
                    ​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScyaPfSwSyY&t=547s

Comment

• Globaltruth
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                      Joe talks about a film made in 1959 in Sophiatown on the edge of Johannesburg called 'Come Back Africa', by American Lionel Rogosin. This was made shortly before the destruction of Sophiatown by the Apartheid authorities 'empowered to prevent people of different races residing together.' I haven't seen the whole film, but on youtube I found the trailer and also this 15-minute cutdown version which misses out the narrative and includes all the music. Among other things there's a fantastic bit where Miriam Makeba turns up in a dingy shebeen to give the drinkers a couple of songs, and at the end a wonderful bit of kwela.
                      ​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScyaPfSwSyY&t=547s
                      This is a great find. Thanks JC...

Obviously those few seconds of guitarist and puppet reminded me of our chum Jim Eldon with his chums Mossy and Gerald, as you can see still going strong...
                      MEET the fiddlers three at Morpeth’s Northumbrian Gathering.Musicians Jim Eldon and Mossy Christian are regulars at the three-day festival, which opened toda...

Comment

• johncorrigan
                        • Nov 2010

Jim was a regular in Kershaw days doing his takes on Springsteen and Meatloaf and the likes - I was talking to someone about him the other day - they had been to Bridlington during their hols and I asked if there was any sign of Jim on the pleasure boats - they looked at me like I was nuts. Nice to see him still kicking around.

Joe's got me in Cuban music just now among the congueros. Miguelito Valdes, the Babalu Man, playing his conga drum with 'Celina'.
                        ​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbji2mjs7cE

My reading keeps getting interrupted by the music.

Comment

Working...
                        X