X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Secret knowledge

I seem to be having a Nina Simone kind of a week after her take on 'Ballad of Hollis Brown' on Sunday's Jarvis show, her version of 'Strange Fruit' in Tuesday's Soul Music and last night's playing by Max of 'Black Is The Color Of My True Love's Hair'. But still more to come it seems as British singer Laura Mvula explores Ms Simone's musical roots this Friday evening on BBC4.
    Singer Laura Mvula visits New York to explore the Nina Simone songs that mean most to her.

Half an hour seems a bit short, mind you.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Thanks for drawing attention to this, John: could be interesting.

There's a lot of other stuff as well that may also be of interest on BBC4 this Friday and Saturday, which I have noted on the Jazz board.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Laura did a beautiful job in presenting Nina Simone's music and personality, I thought.

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Laura did a beautiful job in presenting Nina Simone's music and personality, I thought.
        I thought so too S_A, and Laura is continuing this with an hour-long show this afternoon on 6.
        Laura Mvula delves into her collection of Nina Simone records.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Also enjoyed this and thought it could have been an hour long.

Comment

• Globaltruth
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Laura Mvula was very good on Private Passions last year (and played a Nina Simone track then too)

The programme is no longer available but you can download an mp3 or, if you're patient(!) recreate the show via the clunky Playlister app., although the current playlist for that show does seem to have every track duplicated....

Comment

Working...
            X