X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... ah, Surge Forward, ably assisted by Jane Firkin...
    Barrel of laughs??

Makes a change from "going forward", "moving forward", "moving on" etc etc, I suppose..

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

Very true, BR - Juliette Greco is sensational no matter the age, I found myself thinking. Think I might take the BBC4 invitation and see how many I can get on the playlister. Barbara's 'aigle noir' was stunningly tragic - I'd never heard her or it before as far as I'm aware.

John, Barbara is wonderful...you should check out some of her songs on YouTube...these two are particular favourites of mine, in versions recorded towards the end of her career. You can hear the Gauloises in her adorably broken voice!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... ah, Surge Forward, ably assisted by Jane Firkin...
        Haven't still got your copy have you M. V? The "Blue" record. A collector's item it appears.

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
          John, Barbara is wonderful...you should check out some of her songs on YouTube...these two are particular favourites of mine, in versions recorded towards the end of her career. You can hear the Gauloises in her adorably broken voice!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGlO..._TDvzxC8-xga4Q
          Thanks very much for those, Micky - sensational stage presence - crowd clearly in love with her and she with them.

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Glad you liked them, John. I always find it amazing that those big French stars were just across the Channel and we never heard of them. I guess that just goes to show how different the cultures are. I only discovered Barbara once I started living in France. The day she died, the French TV news at 8pm was given over entirely to tributes to her. I can't imagine that being done in the UK.

Comment

• pastoralguy
              • Nov 2010

Many thanks for flagging this up. Very interesting programme.

Has anyone heard of Lucienne Boyer? A very fine French singer from the 1930's and 40's.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                Many thanks for flagging this up. Very interesting programme.

Has anyone heard of Lucienne Boyer? A very fine French singer from the 1930's and 40's.
                Thanks pg. I wasn't aware of her - any relation to Charles, I wonder. Added 'Parlez Moi D'Amour' to a collab playlist on Spottify - suggestions and visitors cordially invited.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

... I was only able to see some of this, but loved it.

I see that the French have now voted Renaud in with the top song - I know nothing of him - shd I investigate? And Jean-Jacques Goldman??

La célèbre ballade de Renaud a été élue «chanson française de tous les temps» devant Ne me quitte pas de Jacques Brel et L'aigle noir de Barbara.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                    Thanks pg. I wasn't aware of her - any relation to Charles, I wonder. Added 'Parlez Moi D'Amour' to a collab playlist on Spottify - suggestions and visitors cordially invited.
                    https://open.spotify.com/user/jcorri...TpFjQmLgtxREey
                    I love being able to 'spread the word' re. a singer I've loved for many years. A truly lovely artist.

Thanks for letting me know.

Comment

Working...
                    X