• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Globaltruth
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Sean Nós, Iarla & The Gloaming

Just back from Eire -visited Bantry House where Iarla & his Ghost Trio will be playing in August. Now that would be a wonderful gig.

Here's a vid

He's still doing The Gloaming by the way, this is part of a Masters of Tradition tour. No English dates...

Last edited by Globaltruth; 15-06-14, 08:23. Reason: Link to their website..
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
    Just back from Eire -visited Bantry House where Iarla & his Ghost Trio will be playing in August. Now that would be a wonderful gig.

Here's a vid

He's still doing The Gloaming by the way, this is part of a Masters of Tradition tour. No English dates...

http://ghosttrio.com/about/
    Thanks for that one Global - great tune. I notice that The Gloaming are playing Liverpool in November.

Comment

• Padraig
      • Feb 2013

Go raibh mile maith agat, a Ghlobail. Some lovely music making there.

Just when I thought I was getting a handle on some easy jigs and reels you hit me with the Ghost Trio! Anyway, I'll persevere with the traditional stuff. I knew Iarla et al were pushing the boat out, and really I have to hand it to them. At the same time I think I could manage Iarla's song on the whustle. It's in C minor, which is OK for the D whistle.

I'll be looking out for any chance to get to hear them locally - we have a fairly active venue for Irish music, but I don't know if they're ready for John Cage a la Ghost Trio yet!

Comment

• Globaltruth
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Thanks JC & Padraig - I've now bought my tickets for The Gloaming in November, Liverpool (so big thanks for spotting that JC - tickets just gone on sale it seems. This show is part of Liverpool's Irish Festival so I'm sure there will be a bit more music to be found somewhere too over that weekend.

We're both a bit sad coming back to England, and listening to this maybe hasn't helped much...

then again...

Comment

• Globaltruth
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Now we've seen the Gloaming - maybe a full review later of a memorable evening in a wonderful location (St George's Hall in Liverpool), but, in the meantime here's some fascinating clips:

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Now we've seen the Gloaming - maybe a full review later of a memorable evening in a wonderful location (St George's Hall in Liverpool), but, in the meantime here's some fascinating clips:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/vid...-profile-video
            Wondrous, Global...I'm still convinced that Iarla makes the language up - it doesn't sound like a language anyone else uses. As I have said before, The Gloaming is still my favourite record of the last year - never disappoints.

Comment

• Globaltruth
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Here's a quote from an article by Siobhan Long on Iarla's music which addresses that very point and, hopefully, avoids being an entrant into Private Eye's Pseuds Corner!

Loosed of the grammar that defines sean nós, Iarla's singing eases itself out of traditional ornamentations and breathes freely, a soundscape that envelops the listener every bit as much as it does the singer, urging both on into the unknown.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Here's a quote from an article by Siobhan Long on Iarla's music which addresses that very point and, hopefully, avoids being an entrant into Private Eye's Pseuds Corner!
                There's a few bits of pre-Gloaming Gloaming among this medley from the wonderful Hayes and Cahill.
                http://www.martinhayes.com http://www.irishartscenterny.orgOpening medley of traditional Irish tunes from a performance on September 21, 2013Martin Ha...

Comment

• Padraig
                  • Feb 2013

In this relaxed corner of the Forum I don't feel anyone will be offended if I do not keep strictly on topic. It's just that I was glancing over some Heaney and put this together for your approval. It's a poem and a tune. Heaney recorded it with Liam O'Flynn (The Poet and the Piper), which doesn't seem to be available on youtube. I have found another excellent piper, Cillian Vallely to play the tune Port na bPúcaí.
                  To tie in all these details there is a new CD by Sean O Riada, who influenced the lives and music of all mentioned as well as Iarla himself and thousands more.

more to follow

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Cillian Vallely, piper from Lúnasa performs a showcase piece called "Port na bPucai" at a tour stop in Portland, OR.http://www.vallelymusic.com, http://www.l...
                  Last edited by Padraig; 24-11-14, 19:17.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                    In this relaxed corner of the Forum I don't feel anyone will be offended if I do not keep strictly on topic. It's just that I was glancing over some Heaney and put this together for your approval. It's a poem and a tune. Heaney recorded it with Liam O'Flynn (The Poet and the Piper), which doesn't seem to be available on youtube. I have found another excellent piper, Cillian Vallely to play the tune Port na bPúcaí.
                    To tie in all these details there is a new CD by Sean O Riada, who influenced the lives and music of all mentioned as well as Iarla himself and thousands more.

more to follow

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEWFwBpMH38
                    Thanks as ever Padraig...I think I'll be putting that one on the Christmas list (am I allowed to say that yet?) - I hadn't realised that Sean O Riada had been so long dead.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

more to follow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEWFwBpMH38
                      thanks from me (and Mrs GT) too Padraig - only a rock or a stone couldn't help but be profoundly moved by those two YouTube videos.

Comment

• Padraig
                        • Feb 2013

John and Global, many thanks for your interest and approval, and I'm further pleased by the unexpected appreciation of Mrs GT.
                        It's never too soon to think of Christmas nor is there any harm in coveting something special for Art's sake, which is why I have also let it be known that the Sean O Riada CD would be welcome in my stocking. Needless to say, of course, not MY stocking as I don't have any, that is, I do, but it's for hanging up and not for..... well you know what I mean........don't you??

Comment

• Padraig
                          • Feb 2013

I have also let it be known that the Sean O Riada CD would be welcome in my stocking.
                          Santa duly obliged. Absolutely delightful. Some you know; some you thought you knew; and some new. All delivered with a rare appreciation of traditional and classical values (my assessment). Unfortunately for me, my eyesight has suddenly deteriorated and I can't read the CD notes. I can read the MB however and hope to read what you think if you get to hear Port na bPúcaí.
                          I have just realised why I have come so late to Sean O Riada. He came to my attention around the mid sixties and before I could get to grips with what I considered to be a whole new refreshing look at Irish Music, family intervened, and then Civil Rights. I missed out badly. But - better late.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Good news and bad news.

Good news: The Gloaming have just announced another tour.

or, in a higgledy-piggledy style...
                            Date Venue Location Tickets
                            Feb 28 The National Concert Hall
                            w/ Iarla O'Lionáird,...
                            Dublin, Ireland Sold Out RSVP
                            Mar 01 The National Concert Hall
                            w/ Iarla O'Lionáird,...
                            Mar 02 The National Concert Hall
                            w/ Iarla O'Lionáird,...
                            Mar 03 The Barbican Centre
                            w/ Iarla O'Lionáird,...
                            London, United Kingdom Tickets RSVP
                            Mar 07 Port Fairy Folk Festival
                            w/ Iarla O'Lionáird,...
                            Port Fairy, Australia Tickets RSVP
                            Mar 09 WOMADELAIDE 2015
                            w/ Iarla O'Lionáird,...
                            Adelaide, Australia Tickets RSVP
                            Mar 11 Auckland Arts Festival 2015
                            w/ Iarla O'Lionáird,...
                            Auckland, New Zealand Tickets RSVP
                            Mar 14 WOMAD New Zealand 2015
                            w/ Iarla O'Lionáird,...
                            New Plymouth, New Zealand Tickets RSVP
                            Mar 19 Teatro de la Ciudad
                            w/ Iarla O'Lionáird,...
                            Mexico City, Mexico Tickets RSVP
                            the bad news: there's only 1 gig in the UK & we definitely can't make it.

<sigh>

tour announced this week and the Dublin gigs sold out immediately..

Comment

• Padraig
                              • Feb 2013

It's bad news, Gt. They might as well be playing in Tierra del Fuego tomorrow.
                              More bad news is that the Sean O Riada CD mentioned has not yet shown up on youtube, so I can't give you a track. I've looked for an alternative and this took my fancy. It's a sad, sad tale Gt, and I suspect many, many happy people will remember a time gone by.

Mairead and Donal Lunny from transatlantic sessions programm

Altan Tá Mo Chleamhnas A Dhéanamh Lyrics. Tá Mo Chleamhnas A Dhéanamh lyrics performed by Altan: Tá mo chleamhnas á dhéanamh inniu agus inné 'S ní mó ná go dtaitníonn an bhean udaí liom féin

Comment

Working...
                              X