X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
    very much enjoyed Dentdelion on Spotify for which, John, many thanks.
    Oilrig played it last year after her Canadian trip, Lat, and I just loved it - great voice..

Comment

• Oilrig

Beyond excited .....

Sometimes, it's good to be paid to talk about other folks making music.

THE VOICE SQUAD

Thoroughly decent chaps and stunning musicians - and all on a Sunday morning!!

They have been - for many, many years - the Christmas heralds in this house - so wonderful to be not dissappointed in real life!!!

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Sunday morning ?

Anyway went looking for a favourite Voice Squad but got sidetracked as usual
        Sung in Sunday Best
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Globaltruth
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Oilrig View Post
          Sometimes, it's good to be paid to talk about other folks making music.

THE VOICE SQUAD

Thoroughly decent chaps and stunning musicians - and all on a Sunday morning!!

They have been - for many, many years - the Christmas heralds in this house - so wonderful to be not dissappointed in real life!!!
          Saw them live years (and years) ago in Whitby introduced with a huge recommendation by Norma W. didn't they stop for a few years? Anyway I agree - just great.

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Hey it's that nice introducer man again, Paul - what is his name? Lovely voice he's got.

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Them Voice Squad were terrific and I'm sure I haven't heard a finer version of the Parting Glass.

Comment

• Oilrig

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                Them Voice Squad were terrific and I'm sure I haven't heard a finer version of the Parting Glass.

The only disappointment in this session was my spelling in writing about it above - apologies! The Parting Glass was a total indulgence of me on their part (for which massive thanks!) - but the finest thing they've possibly ever done was on John Renbourn's Traveler's Prayer album, with John's own reworking of the Wexford Carol sung as a quartet with Mairead Ni Dhomhnaill. Stunning, stunning, stunning - go listen and do not return if you have not wept.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Oilrig View Post
                  The only disappointment in this session was my spelling in writing about it above - apologies! The Parting Glass was a total indulgence of me on their part (for which massive thanks!) - but the finest thing they've possibly ever done was on John Renbourn's Traveler's Prayer album, with John's own reworking of the Wexford Carol sung as a quartet with Mairead Ni Dhomhnaill. Stunning, stunning, stunning - go listen and do not return if you have not wept.
                  ok, have now caught up with this altogether great show via iPlayer.

Hmm, may have to give this one a 9 out of 10. And that's exceeding rare, Oilrig, exceeding rare.

A couple of items:

Dominic Behan singing of the Brown & Yellow Ale

That throw-away comment from the VS about James Joyce liking the song led me to...
                  We know some of James Joyce's favourites. His favourite operatic composer was Verdi. His favourite liturgical composer was Palestrina. When young his favourite song was "Silent, O Moyle." In later life, "The Brown Ale and the Yellow Ale." Or was it "Finnegans Wake?" He confessed (unexpectedly) a great admiration for Schoenberg. Not so the works of another contemporary, Igor Stravinsky, that Joyce said "not even a canary could sing." Joyce knew Busoni in Zurich, but called his work Orchesterbetriebe ("orchestral goings-on").
                  from an excellent:-

Jog jig jogged stopped. Dandy tan show of dandy Boylan socks skyblue clocks came light to earth.
                  O, look we are so! Chamber music. Could make a kind of pun on that. It is a kind of music I often thought when she. Acoustics that is. Tinkling. Empty vessels make most noise. Because the acoustics, the resonance changes according to the weight of the water is equal to the law of falling water. Like those rhapsodies of Liszt's, Hungarian, gipsyeyed. Pearls. Drops. Rain. Diddle iddle addle aadle oodle oodle. Hiss. Now. Maybe now. Before.
                  (Ulysses, p. 364)

A history of The Parting Glass & the amazing number of different versions here...there are some who'll maybe recall Bobby Z nicking the idea & the tune http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHGlu2LOWr8 - but as this tune has been on the planet since the 1770s' it seems you just have to say "trad. arr."

but let's not go into ethnomusicology mode, just the lyrics themselves are worth a post in their own right:
                  Of all the money e'er I had,
                  I spent it in good company.
                  And all the harm e'er I've done,
                  Alas! it was to none but me.
                  And all I've done for want of wit
                  To mem'ry now I can't recall
                  So fill to me the parting glass
                  Good night and joy be with you all.
                  So fill to me the parting glass
                  And drink a health whate'er befalls
                  Then gently rise and softly call
                  "Good night and joy be to you all"
                  Oh, all the comrades e'er I had,
                  They're sorry for my going away,
                  And all the sweethearts e'er I had,
                  They'd wish me one more day to stay,
                  But since it falls unto my lot,
                  That I should rise and you should not,
                  I gently rise and softly call,
                  If I had money enough to spend,
                  And leisure time to sit awhile,
                  There is a fair maid in this town,
                  That sorely has my heart beguiled.
                  Her rosy cheeks and ruby lips,
                  I own she has my heart in thrall,

Then fill to me the parting glass,

Last edited by Globaltruth; 10-07-12, 13:52. Reason: well, I'm glad to be back and obviously wish joy be with you all

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                    A history of The Parting Glass & the amazing number of different versions here...there are some who'll maybe recall Bobby Z nicking the idea & the tune http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHGlu2LOWr8 - but as this tune has been on the planet since the 1770s' it seems you just have to say "trad. arr."

but let's not go into ethnomusicology mode, just the lyrics themselves are worth a post in their own right:
                    Thanks mightily for the post Global - hope you're not too waterlogged down by. My experience of 'Parting Glass' is slightly different. I was on a training course in Coupar Angus five years back. The course was being delivered by some very fine citizens of the US of A. At the end of what was a very interesting and enjoyable few days, we were ready to say farewell. One of the women on the course, a fairly eccentric lady from N Ireland, I have to say, who had a fairly pronounced stutter stood up and said she had something to contribute (cue some raised eyebrows I have to say) and she proceeded to sing the Parting Glass - I can tell you that the eyebrows were no longer raised - by the end there was not a dry eye in the house - the Americans, and everyone else, were overwhelmed - first time I'd ever heard the song. I've heard others sing it since then, cara Dillon for example, but never quite so great as that first time - so I was really taken by the wonderful version on Mary Ann's Wo3 the other evening. Just terrific - haven't got to the Wexford carol yet (interweb problems) but am looking forward to it very much.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Oilrig's back from Womad and she's got Bela Fleck and Oumou Sangaré on as guests this evening on a short shift - only 75 mins - she's also got something from the upcoming Karine Polwart release. This one's going to be on it - here it is from the Darwin Song Project last year. I could imagine Dick Gaughan having a good go at this one.
                      Shrewsbury Folk Festival's Darwin Song Project We're All Leavingwritten by Karine Polwart & Dave Gunningperformed by Karine Polwart & Jez LoweDarwin Song Pro...

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Pup Roxy got me up in the middle of the night, Wednesday ( He'd earlier broken in to a sack of the older dog's food ) That Fleck was on the World Service.
                        Sounded quite amusing - Global will know how to find the LA version, I'm sure )

Comment

• Globaltruth
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                          Pup Roxy got me up in the middle of the night, Wednesday ( He'd earlier broken in to a sack of the older dog's food ) That Fleck was on the World Service.
                          Sounded quite amusing - Global will know how to find the LA version, I'm sure )
                          The Los Angeles version? now there's a challenge....
                          there's this:
                          Santa Monica Freeway
                          or, more likely...
                          The Conga Room

One of these should stop the little feller from scavenging...

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                            The Los Angeles version? now there's a challenge....
                            there's this:
                            Santa Monica Freeway
                            or, more likely...
                            The Conga Room

One of these should stop the little feller from scavenging...
                            Great to hear selections from the Rough Guide to Highlife, Terakaft and Manuel Galban. Some strong performers in the Sangare/Fleck set, not least the ubiquitous Alioune Wade, but I didn't take to it hugely until 'Kounadia' which I very much liked. The Karine Polwart and Sheena Wellington tracks were also well worth including. Shame that we only had one and a quarter hours this week but good that there was so much to it.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                              Great to hear selections from the Rough Guide to Highlife, Terakaft and Manuel Galban. Some strong performers in the Sangare/Fleck set, not least the ubiquitous Alioune Wade, but I didn't take to it hugely until 'Kounadia' which I very much liked. The Karine Polwart and Sheena Wellington tracks were also well worth including. Shame that we only had one and a quarter hours this week but good that there was so much to it.
                              I concur with the last sentence - show was too short.
                              In the past I've had mixed reactions to Bela Fleck's previous work , no doubting his virtuosity, but, for reasons I'm not going to analyse, I found this session worked wonderfully well, very refreshing after other distractions.

High Life !! clip's truncated - sorry

Last edited by Globaltruth; 11-08-12, 10:47. Reason: me clips bin chopped

Comment

• Oilrig

Following on from the Karine track - I played the whole in the car on the way down from Harris yesterday (glorious gig with the family!) - and it is IMVHO one of the finest things to come out this year. Words, voice, production, the whole thing - it is exquisite.

Comment

Working...
                                X