X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Oilrig View Post
    Tuesday night on BBC Rad Scottie - our swansong in celebration of lovely Martyn Bennett - 'Aye' an inspiration!
    All in one go, Tuesday eveniing celebrated the premature departure of two high spots of Scottish culture, Martyn Bennett and Mary Ann Kennedy's Global Gathering - two greats sadly gone, long before their time.
    Mary Ann celebrates the work of groundbreaking musician and composer Martyn Bennett.

Comment

• Globaltruth
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Oilrig played a track from Diabel Cissokho on Fri., and I think OP did too during his tenure.

Diabel has 2 albums on Spot. the one just out and a previous collaboration with a young bluesman, Ramon Goose. Worth investigating...

[just off to see what possible images of roast hamster & world music I can find for the other thread. don't hold your breath.]

Comment

• Globaltruth
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
        All in one go, Tuesday evening celebrated the premature departure of two high spots of Scottish culture, Martyn Bennett and Mary Ann Kennedy's Global Gathering - two greats sadly gone, long before their time.
        http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01h61h6
        Brave, positive,memorable and life-affirming exit from Oilrig.
        More than just a tribute.
        Just terrific - hairs raise on the back of my neck whenever I listen to some of Martyn Bennett's music.
        And that doesn't happen too often nowadays

For anyone new to his work, here's a good place to start

2 days left to listen

and I've just found this Martyn Bennett track on Spotify..for some reason doesn't come up when you search on name,http://open.spotify.com/track/40XWZ7YfLa7FzWmEQKb9Ck
        Last edited by Globaltruth; 14-05-12, 17:32.

Comment

• johncorrigan
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
          Just terrific - hairs raise on the back of my neck whenever I listen to some of Martyn Bennett's music.
          And that doesn't happen too often nowadays
          I'm sure you posted it originally Global, but I thought I'd just stick up a reminder of Hallaig with Sorley MacLean reading his own poem.
          Video by Martyn Bennett:Title - HallaigAlbum - Bothy Culture"The film is an exploration and visual interpretation of the poem "Hallaig" by Gaelic poet Sorl...

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Heaven forbid that I appear a moan, but I'm not sure what irritates me more, the playlist that doesn't arrive or as on Oilrig's show this evening, the one that's already up - wee bit early I'd say - I assume they get Friday afternoon off in the studio. Wo3 not live yet I assume - bit of a lengthy trip after the show I suppose.
            Mary Ann Kennedy presents new world music and a session with folk musician Jim Moray.

Comment

• Globaltruth
              Host
              • Nov 2010

If, for reasons that would not interest fellow forum members, you are required to drive through the desolate hinterland that is the British Midlands slightly late at night, at times whilst passing through broken-down city centres infested by real-nonlive zombies, may I suggest there is no better listening than Oilrig's show to keep you alert, interested and entertained.

Which takes us onto Jim Moray - I've seen him live a few times and generally like his work. But (and there's invariably a 'but') I did feel, based on the tracks from the new album, that there was a lack of passion in the new work. For example the reason for choosing the songs '...that people hadn't heard much'. I'd prefer it if the choice was made because he cared deeply about the songs. And maybe he does - but It all felt a little too cerebral although finely-crafted without a doubt, superbly performed, but more ragged edges would be excellent. Perhaps he needs a muse and/or a few more late nights driven to distraction. Perhaps it was just me on a particularly grim journey through the rain.

A really good interview though - a whole show of the two of them discussing the Child Ballads would not go amiss. Probably in Fat Chance territory with that request..

And Oilrig has her own interview section in the latest fRoots magazine. Worth reading as much for what she doesn't say as for what she does..
              Last edited by Globaltruth; 19-05-12, 09:58. Reason: it is compulsory to edit.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                If, for reasons that would not interest fellow forum members, you are required to drive through the desolate hinterland that is the British Midlands slightly late at night, at times whilst passing through broken-down city centres infested by real-nonlive zombies, may I suggest there is no better listening than Oilrig's show to keep you alert, interested and entertained.
                Aye, MAK's grand company in the motor and I find she never complains about your driving.
                Last edited by johncorrigan; 19-05-12, 11:09. Reason: couldn't agree more, G.

Comment

• Quarky
                  • Dec 2010

Aye, MAK's grand company in the motor and I find she never complains about your driving.
                  A terrific programme - fully worthy of a 2 hour slot. If there is one criticism, there was almost too much music there of different varieties - enough for two programmes.

Particularly enjoyed MAK going afro in the first part of the programme - but in hoping for a folk tribute to Donna Summer I was doomed to disappointment.

Anais Mitchell.

And the French duo of flute +tuba = some of the most interesting Jazz I have heard recently.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

I caught bits of the programme last night and am about to listen to it in full. I really liked "Mdole" by Burkina Electric. Very atmospheric and what a distinctive voice. Certainly that one is a perfect soundtrack to the kind of scenario described by GT.

As a teenager, I remember coming back through areas close to Brixton, and through Streatham, in the car at night. Having visited relatives, we were heading out to the suburbs past various bombsites, figures in shadows and graffiti covered squats. George Davis is Innocent. Support the IRA. Dub like tracks on the radio were then felt to be both broadly connecting and safely insulating. Later, I was in such areas regularly attending gigs, travelling back by night bus. The very same places felt entirely different. Just as when now listening to Annie Nightingale (only ever) on the A303, it is all about the juxtaposition, interpretation and imagination. That for me is the endlessly fascinating thing about - what she we call them? - vibes.

From memory, Jim Moray's awards came a year or two after Seth Lakeman's. There was an interview with the latter conducted by Andy Kershaw. I got the distinct impression he wasn't overly keen. While polite, he appeared to hint strongly that he felt it was all a bit commercial and compromised. Not necessarily in the music itself but more in terms of the promotion. Arguably Moray takes that further with what is a distinctly indie take on folk. For better or worse, he is almost gothic is he not? Ordinarily such concerns wouldn't worry me much and in the case of Moray the concept even suggests possibilities. As it is, I have one CD by each of them and like them well enough but tend to feel that both artists are good rather than great.
                    Last edited by Guest; 19-05-12, 16:20.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

That Roberto Fonseca is really top notch - the second track he played was as good a bit of jazz as I've heard in a wee while - but he has such a range. Really enjoyed the show. Funny hearing Peter Nardini again after so many years - AK used to play him back in R1 days and I'm sure he was in for a session. But he went back to painting. Back in March I was at a birthday party and he got out of the crowd to perform a couple of tunes - very good they were too. Mary Ann not so sure, but is clearly awaiting the arrival of some Cape Bretons with joyous anticipation.

Comment

• Oilrig

Quebec-ers John! And yes, Le Vent du Nord were in fantastically good form, survived the Orkney Folk Festival (marginally quieter than Shetland, they said, but not much!) and various other gigs to land up at Maida Vale 3 for a final flourish before they head for home. They'll be on the show on Friday. Plus this:

Some very odd gaps in the info (much of which could have been found out pretty easily by actually talking to a Gael) and the recordings in fact go well up into the mid-70s, but the collection is a gem, with some real rarities in there.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Oilrig View Post
                          Quebec-ers John!
                          OOOOOOOPS!!!!!!
                          Last edited by johncorrigan; 11-06-12, 11:14. Reason: needed a couple more ooos!

Comment

• Oilrig

Comment

• johncorrigan
                              • Nov 2010

Them Quebec-ers, Le Vent du Nord, were terrific - they make music sound so effortless - a right good sounding bunch of guys to have around. Nice show - great bits of Doc Watson in there and loved to hear the Dona Rosa song. Must go back and listen to more of her again.
                              Last edited by johncorrigan; 16-06-12, 09:16. Reason: making sure they're Quebec-ers!

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Them Quebec-ers, Le Vent du Nord, were terrific - they make music sound so effortless - a right good sounding bunch of guys to have around. Nice show - great bits of Doc Watson in there and loved to hear the Dona Rosa song. Must go back and listen to more of her again.
                                I am looking forward to hearing this programme and very much enjoyed Dentdelion on Spotify for which, John, many thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X