X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jazzrook
    • Mar 2011

Vivian Stanshall

3 hours of the great Viv Stanshall on Radio 4 Extra this Saturday, 22 March(9am & 7pm).
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

I sort of lost track of V. Stanshall esq. What was the relationship of Hubert to Henry at Rawlinsons End? Ah, I see they were male siblings. Rawlinsons End certainly makes teh BBC's Blandings look a bit tame.
      Last edited by Bryn; 20-03-14, 14:46.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

We got to know Viv in the 1980s when his wife, Pamela Longfellow, who was a native American, ran a boat in the Bristol Float Narbour called The Thekla that hosted weekly jazz for a while. The gents was just inside the entrance, and you sometimes almost had to wade through urine prior to paying the entrance.

When I say "got to know" that would be an exaggeration: Viv used to pop in there occasionally. I don't suppose many of the jazzers knew he was Pamela's husband, or even who he was.

Comment

• BLUESNIK'S REVOX
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          We got to know Viv in the 1980s when his wife, Pamela Longfellow, who was a native American, ran a boat in the Bristol Float Narbour called The Thekla that hosted weekly jazz for a while. The gents was just inside the entrance, and you sometimes almost had to wade through urine prior to paying the entrance.

When I say "got to know" that would be an exaggeration: Viv used to pop in there occasionally. I don't suppose many of the jazzers knew he was Pamela's husband, or even who he was.
          I thought of requesting the Bonzo's "Jazz Hot, Disgusting Cold", for Alyn's JRR "hottest spot" but bottled it. Hell, why not...it would fit only too well.

Didn't know the Viv connection to the Thekla...glass bottomed? Long ago, murky nights!

BN.

Just listened to "Disgusting Cold" again on Utube...Oh it would perfect for the JRR demographic ! The crank of the clank....
          Last edited by BLUESNIK'S REVOX; 20-03-14, 18:05.

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BLUESNIK'S REVOX View Post
            I thought of requesting the Bonzo's "Jazz Hot, Disgusting Cold", for Alyn's JRR "hottest spot" but bottled it. Hell, why not...it would fit only too well.
            I thought about it too - and then I worried it/I might be sneered at - still epic in my mind.
            Last edited by french frank; 03-08-14, 10:20. Reason: JC can't sort the quote bit! - FF allow me !

Comment

• Jazzrook
              • Mar 2011

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Radio64
                • Jan 2014

"Grand piano...."*

*name that tune..
                "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

[QUOTE=johncorrigan;386843][QUOTE=BLUESNIK'S REVOX;386799]I thought of requesting the Bonzo's "Jazz Hot, Disgusting Cold", for Alyn's JRR "hottest spot" but bottled it. Hell, why not...it would fit only too well.

I thought about it too - and then I worried it/I might be sneered at - still epic in my mind.
                  Or perhaps he could start the programme with the 'Intro and the Outro' which was the Bonzos take on C Jam Blues.

Comment

• mangerton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
                    "Grand piano...."*

*name that tune..
                    "......... reed and pipe organ........"

Comment

• Radio64
                      • Jan 2014

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                      "......... reed and pipe organ........"
                      "..glockenspiel...."
                      "Gone Chopin, Bach in a minuet."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Tubercular Balls

Mornington Crescent.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Looking forward to the show...echos from the past still around.
                          Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

To paraphrase the words of the Daily Mail , 'Worth the Licence Fee on its own' - that was an utterly marvellous three hours of BBC radio showing the unique and vulnerable side of the great Mr Stanshall.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Eagerly awaiting its appearance in 'Listen Again' manifestation on the iPlayer.

Comment

Working...
                              X