• Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Prom 66: 3.09.16 - BPO/Rattle – Julian Anderson, Dvořák and Brahms

19:30 Saturday 3 Sep 2016
    Royal Albert Hall

Julian Anderson: Incantesimi (UK premiere)
    Antonin Dvorak: 8 Slavonic Dances, Op 46
    Johannes Brahms: Symphony No 2 in D major

Berlin Philharmonic
    Sir Simon Rattle conductor

Overlooking a lake in the Austrian resort of Pörtschach, Johannes Brahms created a symphony that captured all he saw: the beauty of the sunset; the stillness of the night; the peaceful awakening to a new day. And yet its musicians were to play, said Brahms, as if 'with a mourning ribbon around their arm'.
    Brahms's meeting of glowing melancholy and piercing brightness is the culmination of the Berlin Philharmonic's second Prom under Sir Simon Rattle, following Dvorák's colourful Slavonic Dances and a new work from Julian Anderson.

Simon Rattle conducts the Berlin Philharmonic in Julian Anderson, Dvorak and Brahms.
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 04-09-16, 07:02.
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Once again, wonderful playing from Die Berliner Philharmoniker under Sir Simon Rattle. I'm really looking forward to Brahms' Second Symphony. However the Radio Times have it advertised as starting at 20.40 and finishing at 22.00! 80 minutes for Brahms 2?! I hope not.

And very immediate broadcast from the BBC engineers.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

Really interesting ideas thrown up in the interval discussion - but obscured, rather than enhanced, by the breathless argumentation of the 'chair'....

I consider that a preferable role for the presenter/chair is to bring out the discussion between the guests. TS appeared to want to wrestle his own ideas into the foreground, as a result of which the programme, for me, lost clarity.
      Last edited by kernelbogey; 03-09-16, 21:43. Reason: Further reflection added

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
        Once again, wonderful playing from Die Berliner Philharmoniker under Sir Simon Rattle. I'm really looking forward to Brahms' Second Symphony. However the Radio Times have it advertised as starting at 20.40 and finishing at 22.00! 80 minutes for Brahms 2?! I hope not. :
        The 10pm 'finish' time is standard for the RT listing.I'm assuming they've worked out that it gives a sufficient buffer for over-runs without having the printed programming being adrift; sometimes what the Beeb choose to fill the spare time with is even worth listening to...

At the beginning of the interval talking there was a comment from 2 chaps in the queue for the concert that this was one of the few concerts worth coming to - guessing they weren't too keen on this year's Proms offering then.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

Super Brahms 2,so good the applause started before the music had finished.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

It’s official, Proms audiences are morons. It’s now got to the stage where the music hasn’t even finished and the audience goes ape-shit. I may boycott next year’s festival (based on this year’s thus far, I won’t be missing much).
            Last edited by Beef Oven!; 04-09-16, 00:31. Reason: Added the qualification of ‘thus far’.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              Really interesting ideas thrown up in the interval discussion - but obscured, rather than enhanced, by the breathless argumentation of the 'chair'....

I consider that a preferable role for the presenter/chair is to bring out the discussion between the guests. TS appeared to want to wrestle his own ideas into the foreground, as a result of which the programme, for me, lost clarity.
              Isn't it time for his contract to be reviewed?

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                It’s official, Proms audiences are morons. It’s now got to the stage where the music hasn’t even finished and the audience goes ape-shit.
                Afraid you're right. I don't know how apparent it came across on the radio but some exhibitionist idiot was shouting just as the final chord began.

I was sitting in G Stalls this time directly opposite where I was sitting last night and not only was there shouting before the music had ended there were numerous 'noises off', bottles knocked over, programmes dropped and the lady sitting next to me fancied herself as able to take over from Sir Simon should he have felt disinclined to continue. Other than summary execution by firing squad, how can one deal with such idiots?

Not all that keen on hearing the Dvorak op 46 played as a set as it can all sound a bit samey but the Brahms, distractions apart, was excellent with much detail I'd not noticed before.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• David-G
                  • Mar 2012

Complete silence, and no disturbances, in my part of the Arena. (Until the unforgivable early applause.)

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by David-G View Post
                    Complete silence, and no disturbances, in my part of the Arena. (Until the unforgivable early applause.)
                    I was in the Arena last Sunday and can say that most 'noises off' just don't seem to penetrate down there. In my view the real culprits are those in the boxes situated behind the stalls. It's high time that the hall management stopped drinks being consumed in these boxes but there's no chance as this is where the corporate patrons go.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• makropulos
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                      It’s official, Proms audiences are morons. It’s now got to the stage where the music hasn’t even finished and the audience goes ape-shit. I may boycott next year’s festival (based on this year’s thus far, I won’t be missing much).
                      Nothing new here - I've got two live recordings of Brahms 2 from the 1950s, and in both of them the applause starts before the music has stopped. So your threats of a boycott (which I'm sure would be a crushing blow to the Proms) are either 70 years too late or a tad extreme, or both.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Justifying the actions of ill-mannered oafs by quoting instances of ill-mannered oafs of the past hardly relinquished the responsibly of today's audiences to be more considerate.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Oh come on. It's only music, and Brahms at that.

[I've already got me coat and am heading out the door to work.]

Comment

• underthecountertenor
                            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                            Isn't it time for his contract to be reviewed?
                            A lawyer writes: is it, I wonder, a contract of Service or a contract for Services?

Comment

Working...
                            X