Prom 75 - 12.09.14: Cerha / Beethoven 9, Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra, etc., Gilbert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Me and Mrs BBM, thoroughly enjoyed this performance. A really full-blooded sounding orchestra, choruses and soloists as well. Although, just where the soloists have their quartet, just before the final prestissimo, did the sound drop?
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      As opposed to the universal respect demonstrated in "gullibility"?
      Fashion IS largely gullibility. That does NOT mean that everyone who's opinions reflect a current fashion are themselves gullible.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        Fashion IS largely gullibility. That does NOT mean that everyone who's opinions reflect a current fashion are themselves gullible.
        Can you bring to mind any "fashion" ("current" or otherwise) that remained "in fashion" for over forty years?

Can you cite any performer working today who plays Music written in the early 19th Century in the way that it was performed in the 1940s? If they attempted to do so, wouldn't it justifiably be described as "quaint"?

The glories of the HIPP discoveries is that the Music is revealed in wonderful new ways to the receptive Musician - performing the work as it was done thirty and more years ago now sounds quaint
        ... misleading word placement here; better ...

The glories of the HIPP discoveries is that the Music is revealed in wonderful new ways to the receptive Musician - performing the work now as it was done thirty and more years ago sounds quaint
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Can you bring to mind any "fashion" ("current" or otherwise) that remained "in fashion" for over forty years?

Can you cite any performer working today who plays Music written in the early 19th Century in the way that it was performed in the 1940s? If they attempted to do so, wouldn't it justifiably be described as "quaint"?
          Different, maybe, but definitely not "quaint". That's just patronising.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Different, maybe, but definitely not "quaint". That's just patronising.
            No, you are wrong; it isn't "just patronising". Altering the composer's orchestration and ignoring the markings in the score isn't being "different": it is precisely being "quaint".

Suggesting that performers who respect the composers' orchestrations, dynamics and structural markers - and who take time to research what might have been meant by, for example, Allegretto - are demonstrating "gullibility" is "patronizing" - not "just" patronizing, but unjust and disgraceful.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

No, you are wrong; it isn't "just patronising". Altering the composer's orchestration and ignoring the markings in the score isn't being "different": it is precisely being "quaint".

Suggesting that performers who respect the composers' orchestrations, dynamics and structural markers - and who take time to research what might have been meant by, for example, Allegretto - are demonstrating "gullibility" is "patronizing" - not "just" patronizing, but unjust and disgraceful.
              Apparently the original sense of quaint in English was wise , clever and ingenious - sums up Furtwangler 's Beethoven to me !

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

I do suggest a little flexibility here. Tinkering with orchestration is one thing, but there is it "quaint" for a pianist to play what Beethoven clearly wanted in the D major sonata Op. 10 no. 3, when the composer had to fudge the right hand because his piano only went up to F, so the sequence had to be aborted, whereas in the recapitulation, no such compromise was necessary? I'm going to be "quaint", just as Barenboim and other non-obsessive still continue to be in the Scherzo of Beethoven 9. A performing musician is a servant who should show respect - not a slave who must blindly obey.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

the composer had to fudge the right hand because his piano only went up to F
                  But how do you know this, Alpie - unless you've had the gullibilty to do the research? Careful, now - you'll be calling yourself an "obsessive" before long (and then arguing with yourself whether that's patronizing language or not).

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

I often argue with myself. That way, I can guarantee to win (and lose) every time.

Incidentally, have you ever tried playing chess with yourself. It's incredibly difficult not to take sides.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

I often argue with myself. That way, I can guarantee to win (and lose) every time.

I suppose the key is to try not to come to blows about anything....
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I suppose the key is to try not to come to blows about anything....
                        That's unavoidable. I'm an oboist.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

That's unavoidable. I'm an oboist.
                          Ah! It's an ill wind ....

You are absolutely right, of course.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

And so am I!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Comment

Working...
                              X