• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
    Dog's breakfast.
    Sorry, but that's a nonsensical comment. This was a superb orchestra playing tonight at the top of it's form before an enthusiastic and attentive audience. You might have to wait for quite a while to experience a better performance of the Unfinished, and Kodaly's Dances of Galanta were superbly delivered
    The rain may have deterred some listeners, that was their loss.

From my position in the Arena the sound could hardly have been better balanced, and the rapport between the players and maestro Fischer was a joy to see and hear.

Incidentally, there was one encore,one of Dvorak's Moravian Duets, in which the ladies of the string sections sang very delightfully as an antiphonal chorus.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

I enjoyed it - like an old Barbirolli/Halle Viennese Night .

How lovely to hear the Dances of Galanta again .

Comment

• amac4165

- indeed it was

Comment

• Richard J.
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          I enjoyed it - like an old Barbirolli/Halle Viennese Night .
          I enjoyed it too, with an excellent performance of the Schubert Unfinished at its heart. But for me it missed something of the old Viennese Night atmosphere.

My memories go back to Barbirolli and the Hallé in 1966, '67 and '68 (and some of the later years until TV spoilt the occasion). From my seat in the Side Stalls, I looked at the Arena during the polka, and there wasn't a hint of the bobbing up and down that was always a sign of the audience having fun. Tonight the fun seemed to be mainly in the orchestra.

The programme structure was odd. Starting with three Brahms Hungarian Dances, it felt as if they were doing the thing backwards - starting with the encores. Having fun with short dance pieces works better at the end of a concert IMHO. It could have done with a meatier beginning; then we would have earned the fun at the end.

Comment

• pilamenon
            • Nov 2010

Why should programmes always have to follow the same formula? I like the fact that the BFO shake things up a bit (although the request show didn't really work for me the other year). Starting with three Hungarian Dances made for a delightful, yet informal opening. The Dances of Galanta were perfectly suitable to climax with. And isn't the Unfinished Symphony 'substantial' enough? Serious, traditional concert-goers have their more conventional Prom from the BFO tomorrow night, while this one surely made a highly suitable bank holiday offering.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
              Dog's breakfast.

And not the only one, or the last this season...

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Somewhat odd concert - good in parts. Perhaps not a problem for the performers, but was a bit difficult to get into. The Galanta dances were a pleasure, as also the encore.

What was the "pre encore" played at the start?

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard J. View Post
                  I enjoyed it too, with an excellent performance of the Schubert Unfinished at its heart. But for me it missed something of the old Viennese Night atmosphere.

My memories go back to Barbirolli and the Hallé in 1966, '67 and '68 (and some of the later years until TV spoilt the occasion). From my seat in the Side Stalls, I looked at the Arena during the polka, and there wasn't a hint of the bobbing up and down that was always a sign of the audience having fun. Tonight the fun seemed to be mainly in the orchestra.

The programme structure was odd. Starting with three Brahms Hungarian Dances, it felt as if they were doing the thing backwards - starting with the encores. Having fun with short dance pieces works better at the end of a concert IMHO. It could have done with a meatier beginning; then we would have earned the fun at the end.
                  I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was very relieved that there was no "bobbing" during the Strauss waltzes, to be stuck behind some idiot while he or she was exhibiting this inane behaviour was one reason why I avoided Viennese nights

Comment

• Pulcinella
                    Host
                    • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                    Somewhat odd concert - good in parts. Perhaps not a problem for the performers, but was a bit difficult to get into. The Galanta dances were a pleasure, as also the encore.

What was the "pre encore" played at the start?
                    I think that SMP said that it was one of a set of chorales that Fischer had written that the orchestra uses to tune up.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post

And not the only one, or the last this season...
                      Did Roger take his eye off the scheduling ball, one wonders?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                        The Blue Danube didn't really work for me tonight!
                        Caught the start... it seemed mannered and narcissistic to me.
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                          I think that SMP said that it was one of a set of chorales that Fischer had written that the orchestra uses to tune up.
                          Surely they should tune up first. Now "warm up" might make more sense.

It was odd seeing them (probably not all of them) appear, and then start playing. The usual clues as to the start of a concert rather threw us.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                            Surely they should tune up first. Now "warm up" might make more sense.

It was odd seeing them (probably not all of them) appear, and then start playing. The usual clues as to the start of a concert rather threw us.
                            Yes, warm up is probably better.
                            Different ones for brass and wind sections, if I recall correctly, which might explain the stage combination you saw.

It was odd even listening at home, as music was playing as the broadcast changed from In tune to the Prom; at first I thought that Rafferty had overrun and the Prom had started very promptly!

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

This seems to have been a concert that fared better in the hall than over the airwaves. The eccentric playing order had no rhyme or reason attached to it and for me, it simply didn't make for a satisfying evening. Yes, the Schubert 8 is 'substantial' but it sat uneasily in the 'bitty' programme and while others praise the performance of it, I disliked the clipped nature of the note values (if this makes sense) preferring a reading with more flow about it.

As most will know, I could listen to Strauss waltzes all day long and perhaps a programme of the Mozart March, Schubert 8 followed in the second half by an increased selection of Strauss pieces would have held the attention and made for a better programme to brighten up an otherwise dismal Bank Holiday.
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• pilamenon
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                                and while others praise the performance of it, I disliked the clipped nature of the note values (if this makes sense) preferring a reading with more flow about it.
                                I'm pleased you mentioned this, as it struck me exactly the same, lacking the flow I associate with this piece - almost a rather too mannered reading.

Comment

Working...
                                X