• Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Proms Chamber Music 3 - 4.08.14: London Winds, Mozart & R. Strauss

Monday 4 August
    1.00 p.m. – c. 2.00 p.m.
    Cadogan Hall

Mozart: Serenade in C minor, K 388
    Richard Strauss: Suite in Bb for 13 wind instruments (first performance at The Proms)

London Winds
    Michael Collins, conductor
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Real treat, this - all the Strauss wind pieces are a delight. This I think is one of the early ones - like the horn concertos, he seems to have come back to the form right at the end of his life, with two final 'Sonatinas' for winds. But this is from his 20s I think.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Yes, Strauss's creative period spanned more than 60 years without any letup.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Real treat, this - all the Strauss wind pieces are a delight. This I think is one of the early ones - like the horn concertos, he seems to have come back to the form right at the end of his life, with two final 'Sonatinas' for winds. But this is from his 20s I think.
        The suite (opus 4, as well as the one-mvt serenade op.7) is an early work, the Symphonies (later renamed Sonatinas) for winds are late works [on the title pages called Opus Posthumus by Strauss himself].

The early works show Strauss en route to Don Juan, the latter that -in his own words- he still was able to compose. The late works are wrist-excercises. That's IMO exactly what they are: after a couple of minutes they turn out to be long winded and less-inspired. They are not in the same league as metamorphosen, the oboe concerto, let alone the 4 Last songs.

this programme should show Strauss indebtness to Mozart - and is a treat indeed .

Comment

• Lento
          • Jan 2014

Good to hear this music in expert hands, although I found parts of the Strauss a bit "so-so" as music (on a first hearing). Interesting to hear the players musing about how "classical" a tone to adopt in the Strauss Suite.

Petroc told us that C minor is the key Mozart "reserved for his most serious and tragic music". Perhaps, to be pedantic, "a key" rather the "the" key. As they say, "other tragic keys are available" and Mozart used them, as we heard in the Requiem. The end of today's Mozart sounded quite jolly to me.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

I've always loved Mozart K388 and thought this was a super performance.
            PT informed us that Mozart also transcribed it for string quartet,well I have the string quintet version,is that what he meant or is there also a quartet version?
            I can't find any reference to it in this form.

The Strauss was a nice enough listen.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
              I've always loved Mozart K388 and thought this was a super performance.
              PT informed us that Mozart also transcribed it for string quartet,well I have the string quintet version,is that what he meant or is there also a quartet version? ....
              It's Mozart's very first string quintet (KV406)
              I don't know of any quartet version (at least not by Mozart himself)

Nice parallel here with Beethoven's opus 103 and opus 4.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                It's Mozart's very first string quintet (KV406)
                I don't know of any quartet version (at least not by Mozart himself)

Nice parallel here with Beethoven's opus 103 and opus 4.
                Thanks Roehre.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  Real treat, this
                  Agreed; extremely delightful listening, with London Winds on cracking form. The banter between Michael Collins, Philippa Davies and Petroc also went well, as everyone was clearly having a good time. Definitely recommended if you want to catch up with this concert.

Comment

Working...
                  X