• Show
Clear All
  • Lento
    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

Utter nonsense, there are many ways to sing
    some involve using microphones
    some involve find an acoustic like the Wigmore Hall
    and some involve having a few pints and serenading passers by on the way home
    Absolutely agree. Similar thing with string players who play with less "bite" for close mics in theatres/pop recordings etc.

Comment

• Lento
      • Jan 2014

Is it to appear on TV? (Sorry if this has already been covered). I guess not if there's to be a Christmas DVD.

Comment

• Bert Coules
        • Nov 2010

According to the Proms website it's going to be on BBC2 in December. I don't think the exact date has been announced as yet.

Comment

• Lento
          • Jan 2014

Thanks.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Discussion on origin of quote removed to new thread 'Who quipped that?' in order not to disrupt concert discussion ...
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              Indeed.

I did see a brave bass-baritone singer busking in Leatherhead a few days ago, I think singling mainly Welsh songs, but he has apparently
              performed in operas, including Die Meistersinger, and also sang in Hungary.

Back to last night's performance - there was no way I could imagine any singer, however good and well trained coping with the RAH in
              the production as it was without some amplification. Microphones, amplifiers, loudspeakers etc. are simply tools, which may be of service to music, just
              as new instruments allow composers to express themselves in different ways.
              It's also worth bearing in mind that during the thirties and early forties, when many of these shows were written, the sound reinforcement systems available were rather limited. Most microphones were either moving coil or ribbon types, and loudspeakers were quite crude, so there would have been very limited help for singers. They just had to rely on vocal power in smaller theatres.
              When engineers try to simulate the sound of the dance bands of that era, they have to resort to 'historic' microphones to get that characteristic sound.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                When engineers try to simulate the sound of the dance bands of that era, they have to resort to 'historic' microphones to get that characteristic sound.
                I rather wonder why anyone would want to do that! Perhaps a market for 2xCDs - one recorded to modern standards, and one with the historic "added flavouring."

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                  • Nov 2010

I rather wonder why anyone would want to do that! Perhaps a market for 2xCDs - one recorded to modern standards, and one with the historic "added flavouring."
                  Dave

I was thinking of groups like the Pasadena Roof orchestra and other nostalgia bands, not an attempt to offer 'historic' sound as such.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

plugins
                    or

(I know most of this wont work anymore)

Comment

• pastoralguy
                      • Nov 2010

With regard to live performances I've often wondered if there would be any point in having two versions.

Version 1 - the 'sanitised' version with all the mistakes, fluffs and extraneous noise edited out. And

Version 2 - the exciting, seat of the pants performance with warts and all.

Comment

• clive heath

Have now listened to the whole show and am looking forward to seeing the video for the acting, choreography etc.(and the reasons for some of the audience laughter!). I found my mind kept going back to the staging of " The Taming of the Shrew" a few years ago where the set was a giant bed. Couldn't fathom why they chose a lady singer who couldn't produce a decent "can't" admittedly low in the voice on "Why can't you behave/" which was inaudible on every occasion. Porter has done this to singers before, e.g. the second and lowest note of "You'ld be so easy to love" and on a weird chord too. After A minor opening chord you don't expect D minor to follow when you're in the key of G.

"According to the Kinsey report" is the lyric and why "Kinsey" gets changed to "latest" or whatever bespokes a puritanism completely alien to the spirit of the song! The first of Kinsey's two books came out earlier in the year, 1948, of the Broadway opening. Whether it actually said what is claimed is anyone's guess.

My favourite " Too Darn Hot" is by Mel Tormé with the Marty Paich group on "...Shubert Alley". I'd insert it here if I only knew how. ( hands outstretched emoticon)

Comment

• Quarky
                          • Dec 2010

Putting a link to YouTube is easy enough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuofM7c4sSY

But I haven't got the trick of putting the video picture into the link as yet

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by clive heath View Post
                            My favourite " Too Darn Hot" is by Mel Tormé with the Marty Paich group on "...Shubert Alley". I'd insert it here if I only knew how. ( hands outstretched emoticon)
                            Melvin Howard Tormé (September 13, 1925 -- June 5, 1999), nicknamed The Velvet Fog, was an American musician, known for his jazz singing. He was also a jazz ...

EDIT: Oops, cross-posted with OddyL and got the wrong clip. The real one is much better. I don't know how to do the video picture thing, either - but I prefer these links: it means Forumistas can carry on listening to the clip whilst moving to another Thread.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• clive heath

Brilliant and thankyou Oddball, you hear Frank Rosolino on trombone, Art Pepper on alto, Mel Lewis on drums and underneath it all Red Callender on tuba. Hot! Hot! Hot!

Comment

• Dave2002
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                                Putting a link to YouTube is easy enough: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuofM7c4sSY

But I haven't got the trick of putting the video picture into the link as yet
                                Perhaps that's just as well. I've noticed that if a thread contains Youtube videos that Flash gets activated, and on my laptop hat causes it to heat up.
                                I have, however, disabled Flash in my browsers, and I enable it if I really want to/have to.

Comment

Working...
                                X