Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Prom 15 - 28.07.14: BBC SO, Fliter / Pons

Monday, 28 July
    7.30 p.m. – c. 10.05 p.m.
    Royal Albert Hall

Jonathan Dove: Gaia (BBC commission, world premiere)
    Mozart: Concerto for Piano No. 23 in A, K 488

Ravel: Daphnis et Chloë (complete ballet)

Ingrid Fliter, piano (Proms debut artist)

BBC Symphony Chorus
    BBC Symphony Orchestra
    Josep Pons, conductor

Turbulent mythical love and poised Classical elegance come together in a concert that shifts from Jonathan Dove's large-scale orchestral work Gaia Theory to the intimacy of the Viennese salon in Mozart's ever-popular Piano Concerto No. 23, performed by former BBC Radio 3 New Generation Artist, Ingrid Fliter.

Commissioned by Serge Diaghilev, Ravel's ballet Daphnis and Chloe is rich in all the colours and rhythms of turn-of-the-century Paris - an orchestral masterpiece that announced its composer as a force with which to be reckoned,

Inspired by the work of James Lovelock and continuing Dove's concern to address environmental issues in his music, Gaia Theory takes as its starting point Lovelock's idea that the Earth behaves as a self-regulating organism, and his description of all the inter-related processes maintaining the earth in the optimum conditions for life as a kind of dance. Dove says, "I was struck by James Lovelock's observation that, since life on earth began, the sun has got perhaps 30% hotter, and yet the earth has not. For hundreds of millions of years, the impact of the sun's heat has been moderated by cloud cover, the atmosphere, the albido of the polar ice-sheets and so on, all affected by the behaviour of microscopic organisms as well as by animal and ultimately by human activity, not to mention the respiration of plants and trees and innumerable processes all, as Lovelock describes, "locked in a sort of dance in which everything changes together.""
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 24-07-14, 10:16.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

An eco prom, perhaps? The Gaia Theory fascinates me.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      An eco prom, perhaps? The Gaia Theory fascinates me.
      How do people rate Jonathan Dove's music? Niot having previously heard any, is it, as suggested by the iPlayer Glyndebourne Mozart project interview I just dug up, characterless neo-classicism set against odd time signatures, or would that be unfair?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

I've heard very little of Jonathan Dove, but there's some interesting stuff on YouTube.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

A Prom worth catching I am sure . Ingrid Fliter is one of the very best pianists around at the moment .

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

There are a few comments about Dove and a new CD of his music here:

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              There are a few comments about Dove and a new CD of his music here:

http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...-recordings-CD

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Teamsaint reported arriving at the queue just over an hour ago, and said it was pretty short. I hope this doesn't mean a poor turnout tonight given the effort of putting on a presumably full performance of "Daphnis" - which would be a big surprise, given that this is as tremendous an experience in orchestral writing one is likely to encounter live. Imho, of course!

Comment

• CallMePaul
                  • Jan 2014

Definitely a full performance ofDaphnis et Chloe - I had to miss the first half of the prom as I had visitors, but an ideal piece for the conductor (best known here for his Falla series on Harmonia Mundi) and some fine wordless choral singing. Although I have the Monteux/ LSO performance on LP, I have not heard the complete ballet for some years and those who know only the Suite No 2 would have been in for some surprises!

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

WOW! A sensational Daphnis & Chloe - in every sense...

Exquisitely balanced with wonderfully individualised wind solos, but with terrific power in climaxes, Josep Pons' close involvement with the music was shown by his expressive moulding of individual phrases as much as by his coaxing of extremes from the orchestra, at both ends of the dynamic range - from a whisper to a primordial roar. I've rarely heard more attention to colouristic detail, or a more overwhelming sunrise than this one (Celibidache's SWR reading of the 2nd Suite on DG comes to mind). Sound-balancing on HDs was truly excellent.

A very different perspective for the Mozart Concerto No.23, helpfully close-set (given the RAH space) but again well-balanced, the BBCSO strings and winds noticeably warm and full (especially in the 1st movement), sounding more like a very good chamber ensemble than a big band. Pons' direction was again exquisitely shaped and paced, responding bar-by-bar to Ingrid Fliter's equally lovely playing. The memory lapse SMP mentioned (which I didn't notice at the time) was "but a trifle here" - gorgeous performance.

More on Jonathan Dove's Gaia after another go....

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      WOW! A sensational Daphnis & Chloe - in every sense...

Exquisitely balanced with wonderfully individualised wind solos, but with terrific power in climaxes, Josep Pons' close involvement with the music was shown by his expressive moulding of individual phrases as much as by his coaxing of extremes from the orchestra, at both ends of the dynamic range - from a whisper to a primordial roar. I've rarely heard more attention to colouristic detail, or a more overwhelming sunrise than this one (Celibidache's SWR reading of the 2nd Suite on DG comes to mind). Sound-balancing on HDs was truly excellent.

A very different perspective for the Mozart Concerto No.23, helpfully close-set (given the RAH space) but again well-balanced, the BBCSO strings and winds noticeably warm and full (especially in the 1st movement), sounding more like a very good chamber ensemble than a big band. Pons' direction was again exquisitely shaped and paced, responding bar-by-bar to Ingrid Fliter's equally lovely playing. The memory lapse SMP mentioned (which I didn't notice at the time) was "but a trifle here" - gorgeous performance.

More on Jonathan Dove's Gaia after another go....
                      I only caught Daphnis due to late arrival from work, visitor, cooking etc and fully concur with JLW here. I was listening on Freeview and found it excellent. Not heard Pons before (where is Oramo, supposedly chief conductor these days?) and found this very impressive indeed. BBC SO played their collective socks off for him.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

With reports out that quickly, makes you wonder if Jayne ever did a spell on the saturday evening " football Pink".

Will post some thoughts garnered from the second row of the arena later on.
                        But for now, posted from the district line, what a fabulous evenings music.

Class on show everywhere, and an entrancing performance from Fliter. I felt very fortunate indeed to hear that at such close quarters.
                        Last edited by teamsaint; 28-07-14, 22:56.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          With reports out that quickly, makes you wonder if Jayne ever did a spell on the saturday evening " football Pink".
                          In the old days critics had to get their reviews in pretty smartish in order to make the deadline and JLW's beautifully crafted review would have done nicely for just such an occasion.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                            In the old days critics had to get their reviews in pretty smartish in order to make the deadline and JLW's beautifully crafted review would have done nicely for just such an occasion.
                            It certainly would.

Just a few quick thoughts , as work calls...............

The arena was a long way from full. Couldn't really tell how many were in, but my guess would be around 50% capacity. The seats were close to capacity.

The Dove I thought was a really entertaining listen. Lots of lovely textures, and organic feel. Some touches that felt like minimalist influence at times, though of course that was not the over riding effect. I couldn't really detect a "direction of travel in the music", but it was full of energy and momentum. Will listen again, and try to figure more out. A snap poll of the 4 gentlemen in front of me revealed that none of them are usually keen on new works, but all had really enjoyed this . Make of that what you will.

The Mozart was fantastic from where I was standing. Fliter has just the right amount of "Showiness" for my taste, and seemed well in touch with the orchestra and also rather captured the mood of a good prom with some good eye contact with the audience, not least a little smile to some post first movement clappers !!! If i had to say something negative, I might point up an occasionally heavy touch in the slow movement, but I was in the front of the arena, and this probably wouldn't be an issue further back. A really captivating performance from Fliter, and nicely backed up by the smaller band.In particular, lots of lovely integration of the piano with the Cello and bassoon lines, which came over really beautifully in the hall.

The D and C. Hmmm......my first time live for this, and there is so much to take in. It did strike me that this can probably be a rather difficult trick for a conductor to pull off, with the frequent changes of pace and so on. Pons , tidy and pretty self contained at all times, kept things moving nicely I thought, and certainly allowed the players to keep plenty in reserve for the big climaxes, given that it was a long evenings work. Lots of excellent solo work, especially the flute. For me, a really fabulous live introduction to the work. The chorus were absolutely terrific, blending beautifully with the orchestra, who looked pretty pleased with the fine ovation that they got,and their acknowlegements from a delighted looking Pons.
                            Last edited by teamsaint; 29-07-14, 08:55.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Just listened to Gaia. Had I not read the label on the tin I. Would have guessed it was by John Adams.

Comment

Working...
                              X