• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
    Many is the time I (and the first Mrs Pabs) bedded down in Crouch End … what on earth …? I was always too far gone!...
    You mean, why on earth Crouch End? (e.g. were you living in Hammersmith at the time?)
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      You mean, why on earth Crouch End? (e.g. were you living in Hammersmith at the time?)
      Southgate. What on earth refers to … (oh! I'm too far gone!).

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
        Southgate. What on earth refers to … (oh! I'm too far gone!).
        The curry house!!!!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

You bedded down in the curry house in Southgate...? Under a table?

(This is so much more interesting that that "sports prom" sounds to have been! )

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
            This Prom is a right dog's breakfast I've had to turn it off. Gabby Logan et al and music doesnt work for me.
            You are much braver than I am. I know this Prom was not meant for me, so I didn't bother risking my blood pressure.

Comment

• Madame Suggia
              • Sep 2012

Tried to listen but ended up kicking this prom into the long grass.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

So, will the "First ever Sport Prom" end up being the last one ever? Or has another one already been set up for next year?
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Not entirely off-topic, but in relation to sport in general, isn't a concert like this nothing more than a diversion? It is in the sports arenas where it matters and this year things haven't been going too well. Perhaps this little diversion was just a smidgeon naive.

Comment

• DoctorT

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                    Not entirely off-topic, but in relation to sport in general, isn't a concert like this nothing more than a diversion? It is in the sports arenas where it matters and this year things haven't been going too well. Perhaps this little diversion was just a smidgeon naive.
                    Not too well for whom, EA? The Germans have had a great year and a man from my part of the world has just won the Open!

Comment

• Pabmusic
                      • May 2011

They may have missed a trick here, since there are at least two composers who were Olympic medal winners. Josef Suk won silver at the 1932 games for artistic achievement with "Towards a New Life". It would have made a good opening or closing piece for one half.

The other was Frederick Kelly, who is represented in Prom 42, but whose Serenade for flute, horn & strings could have been raided for a movement or two. Kelly won gold in the rowing Eights at the 1908 Olympics.

Comment

• Lento
                        • Jan 2014

Apparently, the Ski Sunday tune is "lifted from Bach" (Jasper Rees, Telegraph), presumably from the famous D minor Toccata and Fugue, though in the major, obviously. Amazing what you learn.

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                          • Nov 2010

Just listening to the mid-week repeat and after only twenty minutes in I am confident this will NOT be a game of two halves. Talk about debasing the currency that is the BBC Proms.

It's a new low and if someone is stupid enough to commission a replay for next year it will surely join the Blue Peter prom in an utterly depressing 'Twin Peaks of Awfulness'.
                          Last edited by Stillhomewardbound; 23-07-14, 15:29.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
                            Just listening to the mid-week repeat and after only twenty minutes in I am confident this will NOT be a game of two halves. Talk about debasing the currency that is the BBC Proms.
                            I too heard the repeat, on the way home from the Lake District. It was nauseatingly awful, due mainly to the presentation.

Comment

• pilamenon
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                              I too heard the repeat, on the way home from the Lake District. It was nauseatingly awful, due mainly to the presentation.
                              And a truly terrible, plodding version of the great 'Soul Limbo' (Test match theme). I should think most of the 5 Live regulars were squirming at having to have anything to do with this.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

I caught a bit whilst in transit this afternoon, too. Who was this wretched thing for?

As mentioned elsewhere, I have recently been in charge of a 16 year old relative from abroad, an intelligent, sports-mad youth (every World Cup match was attentively watched) who learnt the piano to a certain point but gave up, and has sung in some choral concerts at school, but who had never attended a concert before. One might have thought he was a prime candidate for this Prom... but I'm pretty certain he'd have been bored and derisive in equal measure. We went instead to the Zurich Tonhalle Prom - I primed him a bit with the story of 'Till' (and played him the main horn theme) and with the 'programme' of the five movements of the 'Pastoral' (and again, played the opening). I was so pleased and proud - he sat motionless and riveted throughout, turning to me with shining eyes and a smile at four or five especially good bits, and appeared to love the whole experience.

Actually, it reminded me that some years ago, I sat with him and his elder brother (maybe they were 6 and 8 respectively) and we listened to 'Peter and the Wolf' one still, sunny afternoon in their house - he still remembers it, and we agreed that there is a similarity to the spirit (and, indeed, the melodies) of the opening of the Prokofiev and the 'Pastoral' - that "going out into the big, green meadow" feeling....

I struggle to think who needs the patronising clap-trap of the 'Sports Prom'

Comment

Working...
                                X