X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lento
    • Jan 2014

Proms audience behaviour

Wouldn't it be nice if members of the audience didn't start clapping immediately the music has finished in works such as The Kingdom and Mahler 6? The offenders seem to know the music, as they have the confidence to clap, even when the conductor's baton is still in the air. It would be nicer still if we didn't have inane exclamations at inappropriate moments, as occurred at the end of the 1st mvt of the Mahler. Ditto clapping between movements.

Is it time for the BBC to introduce some kind of announcement to prime the audience, it being a broadcast etc. Perhaps they already do?

The best audience in the world? In part, they may be. But, overall, I don't think so.
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Lento View Post
    Wouldn't it be nice if members of the audience didn't start clapping immediately the music has finished in works such as The Kingdom and Mahler 6? The offenders seem to know the music, as they have the confidence to clap, even when the conductor's baton is still in the air. It would be nicer still if we didn't have inane exclamations at inappropriate moments, as occurred at the end of the 1st mvt of the Mahler. Ditto clapping between movements.

Is it time for the BBC to introduce some kind of announcement to prime the audience, it being a broadcast etc. Perhaps they already do?

The best audience in the world? In part, they may be. But, overall, I don't think so.
    A short while back, I attended a Bruckner 9 performance in London, conducted by Yannick Nezet-Seguin. The concert began with Christus Factus Est and ended with the Te Deum following the adagio of the ninth. Yannick asked the audience not to applaud until the very end of all the music. Of course we complied.

Perhaps a house announcement or address from the conductor would do the trick at the Proms.

I am convinced that the people who go in for this premature applause malarky are just silly show-offs, that have not grown up.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
      • Nov 2010

The Proms are supposed to be 'accessible', which apparently means the audience can do whatever they like. I think it might be a good idea to teach them a little about how they should behave at a concert.

Comment

• Lento
        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        I am convinced that the people who go in for this premature applause malarky are just silly show-offs, that have not grown up.
        I'm afraid that's what I suspect, too.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Here we go again!We seem to have this every year. I think it won't go away, somehow?
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            Here we go again!We seem to have this every year. I think it won't go away, somehow?
            The Annual Prom Clap Trap!

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
              The Proms are supposed to be 'accessible', which apparently means the audience can do whatever they like. I think it might be a good idea to teach them a little about how they should behave at a concert.
              Taking as an example the first performance of the Rite of Spring ?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                Taking as an example the first performance of the Rite of Spring ?
                Tumult and riot. That won't do.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  The Annual Prom Clap Trap!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                    Agreed!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• verismissimo
                      • Nov 2010

Audience etiquette and behaviour is changing. It's a reality. And not always for the worse.

Sometimes for we older folk, all that's not easy to accommodate.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                        Audience etiquette and behaviour is changing. It's a reality. And not always for the worse.
                        Can you give an example of behaviour that is an improvement?

Comment

• Honoured Guest

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                          Can you give an example of behaviour that is an improvement?
                          The wearing of deodorant and general advances in personal hygiene.

The smoking ban.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            If you have the odd 12 minutes to watch. A bit long, but it does make me laugh each time :-|
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post

Sometimes for we older folk, all that's not easy to accommodate.
                              Not always easy for us younger ones either.

You can't tell me that these bouts of premature ejaculation are the response of someone who has either appreciated the music or considered the need for others to have a moment of reflection before showing their appreciation. It's called good manners.

Comment

Working...
                              X