• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    With the very greatest of respect to the other composers mentioned on this thread - Haydn is in a different league .
    I agree totally - and I think I could demonstrate why Haydn is one of the very greatest of composers to anyone's satisfaction if they should wish (even if I might be less successful in persuading them that this showed that he is a better composer than those others).

Davis in the great "London" Symphonies and Bernstein in the great "Parises" show how large modern orchestras can play this great Music superbly (as did Karajan and Beecham, if you ignore their obese tempi for the Minuets) - Salonen coupled a splendid performance of the great Schoolmaster Symphony with Lutoslawski in a Philharmonia concert yonks ago. But it's the HIPP artists who more regularly and enthusiastically programme this great Music.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

is the cavernous Albert Hall suitable for Haydn ?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
        is the cavernous Albert Hall suitable for Haydn ?
        It's proved at least acceptable throughout the decades, and there are other works than those for orchestra which would match the acoustics of the other venues: they can't use this as an excuse!

Comment

• mercia
          • Nov 2010

......... actually I'm intrigued as to how the repertoire for the whole season is arrived at - is it basically down to the whim of Mr Right ?
          Last edited by mercia; 11-07-14, 08:19.

Comment

• verismissimo
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            With the very greatest of respect to the other composers mentioned on this thread - Haydn is in a different league .

His neglect at the Proms is scandalous . Surely some HIPP orchestra could have been invited along to play a symphony or two .
            I'd go more often to the Proms if Haydn (played as above) was the ONLY composer programmed. Now that would be interesting.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by mercia View Post
              ......... actually I'm intrigued as to how the repertoire for the whole season is arrived at - is it basically the whim of Mr Right ?
              I doubt it, mercs (judging from Kenyon's frequent whinging that he had little control over Proms programming) - he probably has a discussion with the BBC orchestras about what should be included, but if Rattle and the BPO says "we're going to do La Terre est un Homme" then that's what goes on the programme. I can't imagine Wright telling him "Okay - come back next year, we'll stick the Macclesfield Sinfonietta in your date, instead."

(I rather wish they would - the Proms is an international institution that brings much-needed publicity and revenue to financially struggling orchestras. The occasional "Oh, not that again!" might be for the better.)

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                I'd go more often to the Proms if Haydn (played as above) was the ONLY composer programmed. Now that would be interesting.
                Maybe you could visit the English Haydn Festival next year?

This year's programmes, all performed by period-instrument groups in concerts or recitals during 5 days, included no less than 7 Symphonies, 7 String Quartets, 5 Piano Trios, a Piano Concerto, various songs with fortepiano, and the 'Pauken' Mass, all by Josef Haydn. Additionally there were concertos by Mozart, Beethoven, Pleyel and Krumpholz, plus the 1st performance since the 18th century of a recently discovered 'cello concerto by Karl Stamitz.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                  The Haydn Experience?
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    One could argue that there's plenty of Haydn about and it's easy to seek it out
                    Irresistable !

Comment

• verismissimo
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                      Maybe you could visit the English Haydn Festival next year? ...
                      I've often thought about it, Tony, but it's a bit far for a day trip for me. Maybe a few days as a birthday treat next year...

Comment

• Honoured Guest

The absence of Haydn's music is an example of clever programming to focus a certain strand of audience criticism, and to minimise detailed serious critical comment on the music actually programmed. Instead of painstakingly commenting critically on the detailed programme of music, this audience merely squawks: "What! No Haydn!" and is generally ignored as slightly obsessive or fanatical.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
                          The absence of Haydn's music is an example of clever programming to focus a certain strand of audience criticism, and to minimise detailed serious critical comment on the music actually programmed. Instead of painstakingly commenting critically on the detailed programme of music, this audience merely squawks: "What! No Haydn!" and is generally ignored as slightly obsessive or fanatical.
                          Are you sure you should be publicising the views expressed in confidential BBC/Radio 3 meetings of senior management?
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Honoured Guest

This thread's gone very quiet this Friday afternoon. Are all the Haydn fans at the mosque?

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Honoured Guest View Post
                              This thread's gone very quiet this Friday afternoon. Are all the Haydn fans at the mosque?
                              No, preparing for the Sabbath.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                                No, preparing for the Sabbath.
                                Wasn't Glastonbury last week?

Comment

Working...
                                X