Prom 20 ( 29.7.12): The Wallace & Gromit Prom: Musical Marvels!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Prom 20 ( 29.7.12): The Wallace & Gromit Prom: Musical Marvels!

Sunday 29 July at 3.30 p.m.
    Royal Albert Hall

The world premiere of a new show, with classical favourites
    for all the family – including music by John Adams,
    Debussy and Shostakovich – plus specially filmed new
    Wallace & Gromit animations, featuring the dynamic
    duo’s backstage exploits as they prepare for the first
    performance of Wallace’s brand-new Proms commission,
    My Concerto in Ee, Lad. And A Matter of Loaf and Death,
    screened for the first time with a live orchestral soundtrack.

"The nation's favourite plasticine characters make their Proms debut in this programme of popular classics for all the family.

"With music by composers, John Adams, Debussy and Shostakovich and specially filmed Wallace & Gromit animations. Join the audience in the Royal Albert Hall as our dynamic duo prepare for the first performance of Wallace's brand-new Proms commission 'My Concerto in Ee, Lad'. After the Interval their short film about baking and murder - 'A Matter of Loaf and Death' - is performed with a live orchestral soundtrack."

Tasmin Little violin

Aurora Orchestra
    Nicholas Collon conductor
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 24-07-12, 11:39.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

sounds orrible

Comment

• Northender

Grommit has reportedly gone into a sulk because the programme doesn't contain any Camembertlioz. (That's for those who missed it on another thread).

Comment

• Anna

Well, it is a childrens' Prom isn't it? None of you have to listen. It sounds quite fun. Will Sean the Sheep be featured? My eggcup is a Sean the Sheep (perhaps I should not have divulged such personal information as to my toasty soldiers receptacle?)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Knock it if you like, but it could be much worse.

It could be Michael Ball.

Comment

• PhilipT
              • May 2011

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              My eggcup is a Sean the Sheep (perhaps I should not have divulged such personal information as to my toasty soldiers receptacle?)
              I don't see why not. One well-known regular prommer is inseparably identified with his cereal bowl. Perhaps there's scope for a whole new thread here.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by philipt View Post
                i don't see why not. One well-known regular prommer is inseparably identified with his cereal bowl. Perhaps there's scope for a whole new thread here.
                oh and just who might that be????

Comment

• 3rd Viennese School

Quote. "Well, it is a childrens' Prom isn't it? None of you have to listen. "

Well, I think its irresponsible of the BBC to put this childrens' Prom on in the afternoon when they know full well that adults could be watching it!

3VS

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Did anyone listen?

Comment

• PJPJ
                      • Nov 2010

Yes - very entertaining and amusing first half, presented impeccably by Ian MacMillan and the conductor Nicholas Collon, Tasmin Little excellent in the Monti and in My Concerto in Ee, Lad. I think you had to be there for the second half so that you could watch A Matter of Loaf & Death as well as see it.

Comment

• somename

Seems a bit of a waste of time unless you watch it televised to see the animation. Presumably the BBC are going to give it top billing once the Olympics are out of the way.

Comment

• justmusic

I was there with my nearly 7-year-old son and we both thought it was great. It was his first experience of an orchestral concert - and my first as an audience member for about eight years. It was well presented by Nicholas Collon (with a bit of help from Wallace) and the playing was excellent. There was a lot of visual material though (including a few adult gags) - and I was thinking as it went along that it may not work as well on radio as it did live or will do when it's shown on television.

In the second half I did lose focus on the orchestra while watching the film, which I'd seen once before, but largely forgotten the details. I suppose this is the point of good film music. But that's surely a minor gripe. It was clearly a family event; the place was full (it was the first concert to sell out when tickets went on sale) and the audience loved it. Technically very fine sound balance within the hall as well. I haven't stopped smiling yet!

Comment

• amac4165

Originally posted by somename View Post
                            Seems a bit of a waste of time unless you watch it televised to see the animation. Presumably the BBC are going to give it top billing once the Olympics are out of the way.
                            Brilliant in the hall - but mostly visual gags ! worth watching when it comes on TV

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Northender View Post
                              Grommit has reportedly gone into a sulk because the programme doesn't contain any Camembertlioz. (That's for those who missed it on another thread).
                              You're all heart...

"...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X