Prom 46: Thursday 18th August at 10.15 p.m. (Viktoria Mullova, Matthew Barley)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Prom 46: Thursday 18th August at 10.15 p.m. (Viktoria Mullova, Matthew Barley)

A concert celebrating the special partnership of Russian-born violinist Viktoria Mullova and her husband, British cellist Matthew Barley. Together with three friends they explore folk, gypsy and jazz-inpired music that encompasses a masterpiece by the Hungarian composer Zoltan Kodaly and the worlds of the Modern Jazz Quartet and the American jazz-rock group Weather Report.

As well as making an intriguing programme, the music in the concert says something about Viktoria Mullova herself. According to her husband, she 'loves simplicity and emotional directness and power, as well as virtuosity that comes from the heart and for the heart (as opposed to showing off)'.

Bratsch, Arr. Barley: Bi Lovengo
    John Lewis/Bratch, Arr. Barley: Django
    Kodaly: Duo, Op. 7
    Joe Zawinul, Arr. Barley: Pursuit of the Woman with the Feathered Hat
    Matthew Barley: Yura
    Joe Zawinul, Arr. Barley: The Peasant
    DuOud, Arr. Barley: For Nedim (for Nadia)

Viktoria Mullova (violin)
    Matthew Barley (cello)
    Julian Joseph (piano)
    Paul Clarvis (percussion)
    Sam Walton (percussion).
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

This one may interest our World Music friends.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

..and jazbos EineA .... their version of Django by John Lewis is appealing

and Barley and Joseph have made a beguiling album ...

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

So you recommend not having an early night?

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Eine - I have this one on I-Player now and am enjoying it. Do you know if it will be televised? More generally, is there a list of all the televised performances with times? - Thanks, Lat.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

I'd have gone if I'd known my good friend Paul Clarvis was playing. Haven't heard Mr Barley, either.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Hi s_a - I have to say that I am absolutely loving it - the gypsy emphasis, some really sensitive, tender moments reminiscent of Vaughan Williams and Zawinul's truly thrilling "Feathered Hat". I don't know how anyone has the nerve to play it. Was it my imagination or did they pour even more into it than in the clip on You Tube? I swear they got a little of "Birdland" in there. And a really lovely second piece from Zawinul too. I'm definitely all for this - at times it is almost bringing a tear to my eye - and I will certainly listen to the cd Calum recommended - Lat.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Hello Lat - and thanks: I'll have a listen on the eye player!

Best
                S-A

Comment

Working...
                X