Chamber Music Prom 4: Monday 8th August at 1.00 p.m. ( Liszt, Prokofiev)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by cavatina View Post
    Well, she certainly has plenty of time to grow. Who knows what she could be at fifty?

Perhaps I'd agree with you more if I hadn't experienced it live and seen the extreme intensity playing across her face as she was moved by the music...at times I found myself wanting to avert my eyes and look away, it seemed almost too personal and intimate a thing to look at her.

Surely in a world of "cookie cutter conservatory" pianists, that sense of personal connection--identification, even--is a rare quality worth noting.
    I'm in considerable agreement with you as to her potential, cavatina - that's why I find it so frustrating that she turns in woeful performances. As I've suggested, I think she needs some time away from the limelight - there's a long & noble tradition of young musicians doing this, to become much more the finished article after a few years 'in the wilderness'.

Comment

• austin

Khatia Buniatishvili played a similar programme at the Verbier Festival and it can be seen here.....

A rare and extensive selection of concerts, operas, ballets, documentaries and master classes. Exclusive events streamed live on medici.tv, available afterwards on replay.

Comment

• jillfc

I'm listening to the R3 repeat of this at the moment, having been at Cadogan Hall for the recital itself. I thought her performance of the Liszt badly marred by heavy over-use of the sustaining pedal; and though the effect of this is reduced in what I'm hearing now, I still think it detracts substantially from her otherwise impressive playing. In the hall, the Prokofiev suffered similarly - much of the necessary sharpness was muffled - and I also thought there was some perverse phrasing and accentuation.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

I only came in just now on the tail-end of the Liebestraum - beautifully played - and Liszt needs a lot of sustain for his more rapturous passages. As for the Prokofiev, I have heard many versions of this piece, and, well, maybe one needed a score to spot any inaccuracies, but I didn't notice any, and thought it a truly remarkable performance by any standards. But maybe I've been listening to too much jazz to worry that much about minutiae.

Comment

Working...
          X