Prom 3: Sunday, 17th July, 2011 at 4.00 p.m. (Organ recital)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mangerton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    I did. Very much.
    I do wished they'd just let the organist play and let us listen to some fine playing of some stunning music. Speech is just so inferior to music.
    Indeed. I'm listening now. "Banal" is the word that springs to mind. And someone should tell the presenter that the pipes she referred to are 64 foot pitch, not 60.

Comment

• mangerton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Ordinary. And the Liszt pieces? Turgid. Thank heavens therefore for the two Alains!

S-A
      S-A, I think you're being slightly unfair about the Liszt, although the ending of the first piece might well have been inaudible to many listening at home.

Comment

• Alf-Prufrock

Can anyone tell me what the Alain encore was?

Comment

• David Underdown

"2eme prelude profane" I think he said, something along those lines anyway ie 2nd secular prelude

Comment

• morebritishmusicplease

I was at this recital, preparing myself mentally for the Gothic, and very much enjoyed hearing the RAH organ on its own again. (I remember greatly enjoying the Elgar Organ Sonatat No. 1 last time.) I agree with the assessment somewhere above - the outstanding pieces were those by Alain. The Bach was pleasant, as was the Liszt. The Bingham was inoffensive, but I agree somewhat thick and turgid - and far, far too long!
            Anywa, it gave me a chance to get a very good position in the Gallery for the main event later!

Comment

Working...
            X