Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cockney Sparrow
    • Jan 2014

Powerline adaptors deliver internet via the house electrical ring main.

I've used Devolo AV200 powerline for about 10 years now, with 4 members of the house with PCs in various rooms. 6 bed detached - 1960 ring mains plus 1991 extension ring mains which doubled the house size. No problems and completely reliable, although they are among the more costly units. Worth every penny (I'd go to considerable lengths to avert IT problems) Higher speeds available on their latest models now and they can be phoned for support if needed.

Suggestions I've seen on another forum are that low selling price battens down component cost/quality so much they are more likely to fail after a few years. Also to ensure good ventilation as the cooler they run, the longer their life.

Official manufacturer website and online shop✓ Magic Powerline adapter✓ Smart Home✓ Wi-Fi booster✓ Up-to-date downloads✓ 3-year manufacturer's warranty✓

p.s. the problems I've had proved to be outdated / failed Modems - which Virgin (cable internet) replaced with combined modem/routers.

Taking this beyond my competence, I have seen reference to this app which helps in analysing networks - apparently it can "ping" parts of one's network and do a lot more analysis (but you'll have to check that for yourself, this is all hearsay on my part) - its an Android app "Fing -Network tools" and its mentioned that there is an app for apple devices.
    Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 15-01-15, 11:57. Reason: Re Modem

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Neither of the links in the OP works so I'm not sure what this thread is about!

Are you talking about these?

Odd - perhaps you gave up too soon! The PC World link is now obsolete, but the Amazon one still works for me. Here is an up to date link of similar products - http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...sl_5sb8r593e_b

Comment

Working...
      X