X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Cheap powerline adapters

I mentioned these on the Bargains thread in CD Review in the interests of timeliness - but may also be of interest here, and ultimately more appropriate.

These Powerline/HomePlug adapters from PC World seem good value right now - http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/networ...140118091745:s - suitable for video as AV and up to 500 Mbps.

I've used TP Link kit before and it's mostly OK, though I've not tried their Homeplug/Powerline adapters. I think there is another cheaper kit on offer somewhere, but only 200 Mbps - whereas this one is 500 Mbps, and should be OK for use with video.

The really cheap set is now under £20 - here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-P...=tp+power+link but as I just wrote, it's only 200 Mbps. Probablly good enough for a lot of things though.
    Last edited by Dave2002; 18-01-14, 11:03.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    I mentioned these on the Bargains thread in CD Review in the interests of timeliness - but may also be of interest here, and ultimately more appropriate.

These Powerline/HomePlug adapters from PC World seem good value right now - http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/networ...140118091745:s - suitable for video as AV and up to 500 Mbps.

I've used TP Link kit before and it's mostly OK, though I've not tried their Homeplug/Powerline adapters. I think there is another cheaper kit on offer somewhere, but only 200 Mbps - whereas this one is 500 Mbps, and should be OK for use with video.

The really cheap set is now under £20 - here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-P...=tp+power+link but as I just wrote, it's only 200 Mbps. Probablly good enough for a lot of things though.
    There seems to be a problem with that amazon link. Brings up an error page here.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

OK - try again now.

We could delete msgs 3 and 2 if it's OK now.
      Last edited by Dave2002; 18-01-14, 13:31.

Comment

• Gordon
        • Nov 2010

Beware of some of these products. They may carry a CE label but some emit large amounts of spurious RF interference that can kill radios and TVs. There was Belkin device that offended rather badly. The FCC, OfCom and the likes of Maplins are aware but seem to be unable or unwilling to act. Have a browse here, esp the you tube video:

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.
        Last edited by Gordon; 18-01-14, 11:25.

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
          Beware of some of these products. They may carry a CE label but some emit large amounts of spurious RF interference that can kill radios and TVs. There was Belkin device that offended rather badly. The FCC, OfCom and the likes of Maplins are aware but seem to be unable or unwilling to act. Have a browse here, esp the you tube video:

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=cr&...+and+solutions
          Oh dear - have I done something wrong? I've seen some comments on this before. We currently use powerline adapters in several of our rooms, and we have found them convenient. I think some are much worse than others, so I hope I've not just put in an order for a really poor set.

I'll check out the video again - it's probably the one I saw before - and see if I can find a way to test in our environment.

Comment

• Gordon
            • Nov 2010

Have any of your existing devices killed your radios/TVs or those of your neighbours? If your new device does send it back explaining why!! And copy your letter to OfCom.

Comment

• JimD
              • Nov 2010

My problem with the ones supplied by BT, admittedly some years ago, was that they kept failing to connect properly after a while, and setting them up was a pain. Eventually I just gave up on them. Have they improved?

Comment

• Quarky
                • Dec 2010

Have any of your existing devices killed your radios/TVs or those of your neighbours? If your new device does send it back explaining why!! And copy your letter to OfCom.
                Yes, I'ver heard an authoritative view that powerline adaptors can cause a great deal of interference -EMC. A pity if so, because they are a great idea.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

Not as far as I know. It's possible that they've raised the noise floor of some receiving devices, but then so many things do these days - wireless remotes, microwave ovens, mobile telephones, cordless telephones. I would expect FM and AM radios to be most susceptible.

I will check this again, and the new links when they arrive. The ones we're currently using seem fairly robust and reliable.

In one location at work years ago mobile phones were banned (fat chance!) in one or two corridors. Anyone using a phone outside some offices would seriously interfere with the computers being used, I think at first causing interference on the screen and in the limit actually crashing the machine. I found that hard to believe, but I saw it happen a few times and at one time I was located in one of those offices.

Most places have given up on mobile phone bans now. Certainly where I was the populace at large simply ignored all such instructions, as indeed they did most instructions which they felt interfered with their lives.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Now watched the video - not one I saw before - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLj0iF-MsoM

Does indicate that there might be a problem, though not absolutely water tight. Some of the problems noted could be due to the use of WiFi technology - maybe that has already been ruled out, but with two wireless links in the test it's a possibility.

I'll start looking into this myself, though I'm not sure that I'll find anything. It could be very dependent on the powerline adapter manufacturer, and indeed having the computer in the same room as the radio. In my experience bringing radio sets close to computers can wreak havoc (vice-versa?) once they get within a few feet.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

I've not tested for noise and interference yet, but the cheap TP Link 500 Mbps ones I pointed out otherwise seem very good. I even managed to get communications between the ground floor and the upstairs, which previously I had never been able to do.

I thought that might have been due to our consumer unit, but these powerline devices seem to have no problems with our wiring or the consumer unit. I'll look into the noise issues later. They are still at a good price.

Comment

• OldTechie
                        • Jul 2011

I have some TP Link 500 units and they seem to work fine. They are not too good between different ring mains - they obviously can't communicate so well through our consumer unit MCBs. I've tried a DAB/FM portable radio pugged into the adjacent socket and it seemed to work as well as I could expect.

Comment

• David Samuels

I have found cheap powerline plugs to be unreliable. Nowadays, I stick to D-Link and am very satisfied.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Revisited this thread, as the connection between our router and the BT YouView box gave up last night. Had to watch iPlayer via WiFi to Macbook Pro, then HDMI to TV. Fault seemed solid, but now reset the Zyxel 401 adapters, and tested with iPlayer on the YouView box, so hopefully no need to keep laptop permanently connected to the TV. I think the mains wiring may be unhelpful, and I have had some other Zyxel units which were unreliable. Nevertheless I'm hoping that the recent failure was only a temporary glitch.

This failure may have disturbed other bits of the network, as I recall other devices are connected. Those may now be disconnected following the reset procedure! I expect I'll find out eventually, though the impact might not be so great, as WiFi seems to cope at least for applications requiring only moderate data rates. Where I have noticed significant differences, if the powerline devices work OK, is in file transfers and software installation, which go much faster with the powerline links compared with WiFI. However, this isn't always the case depending on the wiring, and house layout. Another installation I looked at was able to work at 30 Mbps with both wired (powerline) and WiFi links, which surprised me. Since the only requirement was for broadband internet, the links were not tested at higher data rates, or on really intensive communications such as file transfers.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Neither of the links in the OP works so I'm not sure what this thread is about!

Are you talking about these?

"...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X