• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Magic trackpad

I've just got a new Macbook Pro (well, s/h). Is there a key you can press in conjunction with dragging and dropping, to stop the pad springing up and the file or folder you're dragging jumping back from where it came from?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Ito stop the pad springing up

I'm on a MBP and am not sure what you mean...

To drag and drop I keep one finger on the bottom left (clicking) corner, navigate with another finger on the trackpad, then release the bottom left hand corner when the file's at the desired position.

No springing up or jumping back are involved at any stage....

Do email if further detail is required!
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I'm on a MBP and am not sure what you mean...

To drag and drop I keep one finger on the bottom left (clicking) corner, navigate with another finger on the trackpad, then release the bottom left hand corner when the file's at the desired position.

No springing up or jumping back are involved at any stage....

Do email if further detail is required!
      But the new MBP doesn't have any buttons on the trackpad. It's a 'clicker' instead of a 'tapper'
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Oh, got you! I just did that. But on the old one you held down a separate button!

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Glad you sorted it. On mine i can hold the trackpad anywhere near the bottom with one finger, and use the other to move files. Of course if they don't "go" anywhere, they may spring back - sometimes with a boing.

Have you enabled all/most of the gestures? I'm running Mountain Lion still.

One thing I still find a nuisance/annoying is a menu which keeps popping up when I want to select something. I'm never quite sure why that happens.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
            On mine i can hold the trackpad anywhere near the bottom with one finger
            Yes you're right - it's not just bottom left, anywhere along the bottom of the track-pad will do

Glad you're all dragged up and operational, ff

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Have you enabled all/most of the gestures? I'm running Mountain Lion still.
              Yes, they're enabled - now I have to write the instructions out somewhere and practise! (I'm on Mavericks - so far, so good.)
              One thing I still find a nuisance/annoying is a menu which keeps popping up when I want to select something. I'm never quite sure why that happens.
              I haven't quite managed to get my head round the idea that a click on the trackpad + CTRL is the same as a click on the mouse ... (ah, I've just told 'It' to stop checking my spelling - I DO spell 'practise' with an 's'!)

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Well, here's sophistication: if you click with one finger - no extraneous menu. If you click with two fingers - menu. If you click with three fingers - no menu. Is that what you mean? Sometimes one has a redundant finger hovering lightly and I suppose the trackpad senses it?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Well, here's sophistication: if you click with one finger - no extraneous menu. If you click with two fingers - menu.
                  I find that very useful (as well as technologically satisfying).

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    I find that very useful (as well as technologically satisfying).
                    It is - once you've realised what happens. I've now shut down the MacBook, so can't check: isn't it a different menu from the one you get from CTRL + a one-finger-click?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

It is - once you've realised what happens. I've now shut down the MacBook, so can't check: isn't it a different menu from the one you get from CTRL + a one-finger-click?
                      Not here it isn't - just did both on your message, identical...

Also love the scrolling up and down the page using two fingers up and down, and going to previous / next pages using three fingers left and right...

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Sometimes you have to be very careful and observant with menus in OS X - several are context sensitive. This means the menus can change depending on what application is selected.

Comment

Working...
                        X