• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

OS X Mavericks

Anyone been tempted to upgrade to Mavericks? My nephew has and he wished he hadn't. But doesn't everyone say that after an upgrade?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Stunsworth
    • Nov 2010

I upgraded when it was released. Can't say I've hit any serious problems, or minor problems for that matter.
    Steve

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Anyone been tempted to upgrade to Mavericks? My nephew has and he wished he hadn't. But doesn't everyone say that after an upgrade?
      Do you know why your nephew regrets his upgrade?

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        Do you know why your nephew regrets his upgrade?
        In his case he hit a compatibility problem with one of his programs - can't remember the nature of the program but it no longer worked.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
          • Nov 2011

True to my usual routine, I upgraded as soon as Mavericks was released. I experienced problems with Mail, Contacts and Notes at first, but things have settled down now and the problems with Mail are no more since a dedicated update for that app alone.

Things are motoring along smoothly now, and I am frustration free. A update to OS X 10.9.1 is due any day soon which should resolve problems other users reported.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

In his case he hit a compatibility problem with one of his programs - can't remember the nature of the program but it no longer worked.
            I have several Mac machines. I have deliberately not upgraded one for them from Snow Leopard (10.6.x) as that was the last version which supported Appleworks/Clarisworks, because later versions of the OS do not have the software to run Classic applications, or applications written for non Intel processors. That particular program does also run in Windows, though it's not such a good version, and obviously is now rather old. Despite that however, I still find it preferable to other, newer, supposedly compatible software programs.

There are probably other pieces of software which don't work, or don't work well, with the newer systems. Apparently some serious users of Applescript have found that Mavericks doesn't help them at all. Very few people will be affected by this kind of issue, but if you happen to be one, that's no consolation.

Possible solutions are 1. Revert to a previous version of the OS, which might be difficult unless you have a disc or appropriate install files, or 2. use a virtual environment, such as VMWare, Parallels, Virtual Box, but there is still a need for a bootable disc image, and possibly it may also violate T & Cs to use the OSs in that way.

Re Revert (option 1) would that be possible using Time Machine? Probably not. However I think Super Duper can be used to make bootable images, either for backup, or perhaps for use with a VM.

Where the "upgrade" has already been done, it might be possible to enlist the help of someone who hasn't updated, in order to get a bootable disc for a previous OS version.

It'd be interesting to know which particular programs are problematic.
            Last edited by Dave2002; 04-12-13, 18:22. Reason: typos!

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

I have the CD for Snow Leopard but Mavericks is a free download, isn't it? Super Duper does - allegedly - make bootable copies, but I've never called upon it to prove it. I now buy s/h machines and was thinking of replacing the MacBook and wondering whether to snaffle one that still has Mountain Lion installed. I tend to feel, 'If it ain't broke ...'

Comment

• Stunsworth
                • Nov 2010

I have the CD for Snow Leopard but Mavericks is a free download, isn't it?

Yes, it's free.
                Steve

Comment

• Quarky
                  • Dec 2010

Is it possible to partition a MAC machine, and install Linux side by side with the MAC system?

For the curious:
                  TUAW's Mac How-To Guides simplify this process, offering a wealth of resources to help users of all skill levels maximize their devices.
                  Last edited by Quarky; 04-12-13, 09:22.

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

I have the CD for Snow Leopard but Mavericks is a free download, isn't it? Super Duper does - allegedly - make bootable copies, but I've never called upon it to prove it. I now buy s/h machines and was thinking of replacing the MacBook and wondering whether to snaffle one that still has Mountain Lion installed. I tend to feel, 'If it ain't broke ...'
                    If you have the CD (isn't it a DVD?) of Snow Leopard your nephew could perhaps revert to that, though he might not actually want to. Warning - some of the source discs are, I believe, machine type specific, or so I was told by the technical support team I knew. Some are generic and will work with any appropriate Apple Mac, but others are tailored to specific machines - perhaps the ones that the discs came with. So it's possible your disc won't help with someone with another variant of Mac.

If you have a very high speed connection Mavericks might download fairly quickly, but if you have a slow ADSL connection (say 4 Mbps) then it could take hours. I was told by someone who's done this that it's a good idea to save the download files, though they won't even go on a DVD. I think they can be put on a USB stick, and then used to upgrade multiple machines. During the installation process there is a point when the files should be saved, otherwise they get deleted!

Given the concerns noted, if you yourself want to try Mavericks, it could be a good idea to make a bootable backup of your system before doing the upgrade, otherwise it might be hard to reset if you find that you don't like it. Most people seem to find it's OK - even good - and it's suppose to enhance battery life for laptops. However, if you are someone running older software, then possibly you will want to keep your current system and not upgrade.

There is/was another thread on this a few weeks ago.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                      If you have the CD (isn't it a DVD?) of Snow Leopard your nephew could perhaps revert to that, though he might not actually want to. Warning - some of the source discs are, I believe, machine type specific, or so I was told by the technical support team I knew. Some are generic and will work with any appropriate Apple Mac, but others are tailored to specific machines - perhaps the ones that the discs came with. So it's possible your disc won't help with someone with another variant of Mac.
                      Yes, a DVD. It didn't come with a machine - I bought it from the local Apple store (£25, I seem to recall), and I'm not sure that I even specified that it was for an iMac.

Anyway, I'm getting a new (s/h) MacBook, and Dan the Man is installing Mavericks. I shall keep Snow Leopard on the iMac until I know everything is hunkey dorey on the new machine.

[The more informative thread was here - I missed it...]

Comment

Working...
                      X