X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

iPlayer - current status

What is the current state of affairs re the BBC iPlayer? I can access it via various web browsers, which at least allow me to stream BBC material. There used to be a BBC download version - which certainly ran on Windows/PCs and I think was later extended to Macs and possibly Linux.

The situation is similar now with regard to the iPad - iPlayer can be accessed either by a browser (usually Safari) or also now by an iPad App. I don't know what the state of play is regarding Android or other mobile devices.

I tried doing a search for iPlayer and App and I found that there is a third party app - download price £2.99 for Macs - though why should I pay if I can use a browser and get the same content free, gratis and for nothing?

There are also some other apps and programmes which claim to be useful for accessing BBC content.

With the older iPlayer desktop software it was sometimes possible to download programmes, and then they became available for a longer period after the last broadcast. I don't know what the current status is on any of the common platforms.

Does anyone out there know?
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    Does anyone out there know?
    not me, but off topic as of today the iplayer 30-day 'rule' seems to have been extended to all TV "shows". Don't know what the definition of a show is - are all TV programmes shows ?

Shows will now be available to watch on the BBC iPlayer for 30 days rather than seven, after the service was extended by the corporation.

Comment

Working...
    X