X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PJPJ
    • Nov 2010

Sony problems

Not for the first time. My old CRT Sony with built-in Freeview ceased picking up digital after a previous change in software/broadcasting method.

Sony provides details of how to fix a problem that caused some of its DVD recorders to lose access to Freeview channels.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Hope you get it fixed without having to resort to Sony "Prime Support"
    which is one of the worst and hopelessly incompetent system I have had the misfortune to use
    They make some great equipment but i'm not going to buy from them again after my last experience

Comment

• PJPJ
      • Nov 2010

Fortunately, I don't have a Freeview recorder, though the Sony LCD TV bought to replace the previous defunct CRT one has a habit of switching itself off and then restarting when I browse the programme guide. I suspect one of the ICs has a fault, but also suspect it's not worth repairing a five year old LCD set.

Comment

• OldTechie
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
        Not for the first time. My old CRT Sony with built-in Freeview ceased picking up digital after a previous change in software/broadcasting method.
        Have a look at this:
        Hi everyone,   Just an update on the current EPG issue that seems to be affecting a significant amount of Sony & Pioneer DVD recorders.   Models potentially affected are: RDR-HXD770/870/970/1070/790/890/995/1095   It appears that something has changed in the way that these devices are receiving EPG ...

It appears that there is half a work-around with at least some devices by telling it to retune and telling it you want a French option - they then receive but with no EPG. Maybe it is worth a try.

Good luck with it!

Comment

• johnb
          • Mar 2007

A similar problem with CD/DVD players, cause by the latest Sony firmware update, was mentioned on the BBC (Radio 4) news.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Interestingly enough I wasn't aware of the software update or that Sony did OTA updates, for that matter. I did notice that overnight my Sony seemed to have stopped working, no display, nothing. I retired it to the workbench and fired it up again but this time I saw Update in the display. I guessed (correctly as it now appears) that Sony had indeed sent out an Update OTA.

For me, switching the Sony off, then back on again and leaving it for a while to sort itself out, then power-cycling it again has now made it work.

Comment

Working...
            X