• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Another MS Office problem

I'm not a great fan of Microsoft.

I bought an iMac from my previous employer. I was asked to remove MS Office as not licensed to me personally.

I purchased a family pack of MS Office for Mac 2011. I installed one copy on the machine, and removed the previous Mac 2008 version.

I now have my own licensed version.

However ..... when I load it up, although the license number is correctly mine, the details of my ID (Name and previous Employer) appear as before.

I have tried to uninstall and then reinstall/reactivate (I hope it doesn't use all my activation attempts - it shouldn't according to the documentation - but do I believe that?) -
    but the problem persists. I'll probably just live with this, but this does seem pretty poor to me. There are arcane procedures to follow, in the off chance that this is fixable.
    Unless there's an easy correction though, I'll maybe work with the old maxim "if not completely b*****d, don't fix it!"
  • Stunsworth
    • Nov 2010

Dave, you might want to try the software linked to on this page - there's also a video of it in action...

I've used it to remove 'stubborn' software in the past.
    Steve

Comment

• Frances_iom
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      I'm not a great fan of Microsoft. ...
      who is ?

on the older versions used to be under tools->options ->user info (you may also need look under file options)

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Almost certainly going to be an old preference file still lurking. Go into Library (yours..not the systems)..then preferences...should be a microsoft folder. Make sure you're not running any Office programs...then copy that folder to the desktop as a backup. Then delete the original folder. Then fire up Office again.

Even easier is to download AppZapper...you get five free goes...brilliant piece of software. Using it would have been the right way to remove your original Microsoft stuff as it gets rid of the lot.

Comment

• BWV 988

Make sure that the previous owner's information is deleted from the "Key Chain" and from the contacts.

There is really no need for third party software it should install without problems. If your still stuck try "CCleaner" there is a free version that should delete any unwanted files left over.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
            who is ?

on the older versions used to be under tools->options ->user info (you may also need look under file options)
            Sadly there is evidence that some people are [fans], or at least they claim to like or prefer PCs, which usually means with some flavour of Windows and other MS stuff.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'll let you all know if any of them work. I don't think it's going to be worth my while spending hours on this issue, though I do wish it hadn't happened.

Comment

• Frances_iom
              • Mar 2007

one other option is to do a text search for the company name and see in which files it can be found

Comment

• johnb
                • Mar 2007

Googling on "microsoft office changing user name on mac" (without the quotes) comes up with the following link which seems to deal with the issue and covers Office (for MAC) 2011, 2008 and 2004:

Comment

Working...
                X