Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ariosto

Originally posted by David-G View Post
    I tend to find a similar problem when listening to Radio 3 on the Internet. Take the recent broadcast of "Die Frau ohne Schatten" for example. Trying to find a volume setting with which the quiet parts sounded quiet rather than near-inaudible, while the climaxes were not an assault on the ears, was difficult. And even when I just about found such a setting, the climaxes were still VERY loud; the perceived volume was equivalent to sitting in a good seat in the opera house where the full orchestral volume can be appreciated. Many people I know would not find this volume acceptable for domestic listening.

Do other people not have this problem?
    It's been a problem for some time now on Radio 3 - caused by the fact that there are few if any bods there now that understand how to set levels. I find that I have the general volume of the music set to a comfortable level, and then the announcer comes on and blasts so loudly that you could hear him a mile away. Even though I have a hand held control on my amp, I don't see why I should have to do the BBC's job for them. (And if I fall asleep during a very boring bit of muzak or performance, then I'm suddenly awake with a shock ... )

Comment

• Ariosto

Sorry to keep on about this but I am transferring a few more LP's to see if I remain convinced that the sound was better in them far off days.

Just doing Milstein's solo back recorded in the 1950's by Capitol. I'm told that the boxed set goes for 80 quid in one of those central London LP shops.
      Last edited by Guest; 20-04-14, 13:44. Reason: Bloody spelling!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Vinyl record sales hit 18 year high!

Very interesting news!

And some of us have recently contributed to this welcome come-back!

Comment

• Phileas
          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
          It's been a problem for some time now on Radio 3 - I find that I have the general volume of the music set to a comfortable level, and then the announcer comes on and blasts so loudly that you could hear him a mile away..
          Same problem here.

Comment

• umslopogaas
            • Nov 2010

#3 kernelbogey, if you've got a worn-out stylus, you can get it retipped by:

Expert Stylus and Cartridge Company
            P.O. Box 3
            Ashtead
            Surrey KT21 2QD
            tel. 01372 276604

I've used them for years, last time I had a retip the cost was £85, which is less than a new stylus. Excellent quality, I reckon they track better than the originals. I havent used them to buy cartridges, so I dont know what brands they sell. Alternatively as a source of cartridges, try your local hifi shop: mine stocks Ortofon, but I'm sure he could obtain others.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
              #3 kernelbogey, if you've got a worn-out stylus, you can get it retipped by:

Expert Stylus and Cartridge Company
              P.O. Box 3
              Ashtead
              Surrey KT21 2QD
              tel. 01372 276604

I've used them for years, last time I had a retip the cost was £85, which is less than a new stylus. Excellent quality, I reckon they track better than the originals.....
              Immediately seconded

Comment

• umslopogaas
                • Nov 2010

#3 kernelbogey, I forgot to mention cleaning machines. Fine Records in George Street, Hove (Julian Pelling) used to do this on a Keith Monks cleaning machine for a pound a record. Worth a call on 01273 723345 to see if they still do.

I handed over so many pounds that I soon decided to buy one for myself. At sixteen hundred quid it wasnt cheap, but I've cleaned several thousand records, so well worth it. I'm afraid I'm not keen to offer to clean other people's LPs, its a fairly tedious job and I get bored enough cleaning my own! It does an excellent job, I wouldnt bother with LPs if I didnt have it.

Comment

Working...
                X