• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Mysterious text on telly

I wonder if anybody can help me.

I have a somewhat elderly Grundig TV, with channel access via set top digibox. Today, apparently without my having done anything to the settings, text has begun appearing onscreen, repeating everything that is being said within a few seconds, including on ads; all channels appear to be affected in this way.

I have tried various measures, including consulting Menu, but the latter does not appear to include any settings for either introducing or deleting onscreen text, either on the front of the set or either of the two remote controllers. The text either occupies the top or bottom of the screen, and it is most annoying. Does anybody happen to know if some sort of trial is taking place which would account for this?

I'd be most grateful for any help!
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

I assume that what you have is subtitles - these used to be a teletext page, but I don't know how they are managed now.

(sorry, not much help I suppose. But there should be a setting on one of the menus to switch it on or off)

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

might you have accidentally pressed a subtitle button on your remote control ? ( just a thought )
      Last edited by mercia; 02-07-13, 07:05.

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

I too have an old deep TV but have to use two remotes to access channels. They both have subtitle buttons - click on them and see what happens S_A

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

are they "remotes"
          or
          Zappers
          or
          Moon Unit & Dweezil
          or even
          a "not-a-toy"

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            might you have accidentally pressed a subtitle button on your remote control ? ( just a thought )
            Yes, it appears I must have done!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
              I too have an old deep TV but have to use two remotes to access channels. They both have subtitle buttons - click on them and see what happens S_A
              I have a similar set-up, saly. It appears that one of the buttons on the digi remote offers text - it just wasn't clear which one; but all is sorted now, thanks!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Thanks very much to everyone for your suggestions

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                  • Nov 2010

Salymap I think was commenting last week , ref the hilarious combinations of words this predictive text sometimes throws up.....during unscripted shows (like sports commentaries)
                  bong ching

Comment

• salymap
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                    Salymap I think was commenting last week , ref the hilarious combinations of words this predictive text sometimes throws up.....during unscripted shows (like sports commentaries)
                    Yes I wish I'd written some down as I now have a terrible memory. Really funny sentences that take some time to sort out. Laff our loud stuff.

Comment

Working...
                    X