• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Flash Player v RealPlayer

I always install the latest version of FlashPlayer (oh, yes I do!) because there have been occasions when the BBC site seemed to require it when accessing some content. The latest version tells me there is an 'issue' with RealPlayer (which I have installed, oh, yes I have, because some content on the BBC site seemed to require it).

Now Flash Player is advising me to remove RealPlayer. But what is the 'RealPlayer "browser download button"'?

Shall I just chuck them both out? What will be the repercussions? Or just ignore the advice and wait until I have a problem?

Worried of Bristol
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • Russ

There has been, both on PCs and Macs, a long-running problem between Adobe's Flash and the Real Player 'Download and Record Plugin'. I have not found a recent instance to confirm Adobe's categorical statement that "Adobe Flash Player crashes when exiting a page that has SWF file content and the RealPlayer browser download button feature is enabled.", so I regard what they say as an out-of-date statement and a way of taking a commercial swipe at Real Player. If you have the latest version of Flash (which, from your message, you obviously have done, but if you want to see what version you have installed, check here) and your browser is up to date, there shouldn't be a problem. At least there shouldn't be a problem anymore for a PC, but I can't comment on your Mac situation. I suggest keep both Flash and the RealPlayer plugin until you experience an actual problem with your setup.

Btw, I haven't come across any recent (post-2009?) BBC content that requires realplayer interaction or streaming, but I expect those streams are still available.

Russ

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Russ View Post
      Btw, I haven't come across any recent (post-2009?) BBC content that requires realplayer interaction or streaming, but I expect those streams are still available.
      Thanks for that, Russ. Certainly, my memory of having to download RealPlayer for the BBC site dates back a few years.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Thanks for that, Russ. Certainly, my memory of having to download RealPlayer for the BBC site dates back a few years.
        Mine was recent - members might recall the difficulties I was having playing iplayer - now thankfully sorted by my computer whizz kid.

Comment

• OldTechie
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Russ View Post
          Russ
          No, they dropped real player. See the bbc radiolabs blog at http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radiolabs...n_update.shtml

Comment

• cancom

i removed real player long ago when it was just getting on my nerves with advertisements. never missed it so far!
            Last edited by Guest; 14-05-12, 15:35.

Comment

Working...
            X