• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Laptop batteries

I have a Toshiba laptop. The battery has lasted for years without any problems. Recently it's become apparent that it need replacing.

However, it seems that prices vary considerably. An RDY one costs £21.95; a Green Cell is £34.95; a Green Cell PRO is £50.95. I'm assuming the more expensive ones will have a longer life, but is this really the case?
  • Frances_iom
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    ...but is this really the case?
    in some cases the case itself offers the answer in that some laptop cases can hold more or larger cells - they should be quoted in terms of mAhrs (milli Ampere hours) - but if it is an old laptop probably go towards the cheaper end and put the money towards a replacement machine that will probably have a longer battery life due to improved processor designs
    Last edited by Frances_iom; 01-01-22, 10:45.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

I am surprised that the battery prices you mention are so low. Are these plug-in replacements or do they need to be fitted by an "approved" service?
      I replaced my laptop battery a few years ago - cost more than £100 - but it had lasted for years, and replacing the computer would have cost a lot more for anything comparable. Fitting in the new battery seemed to have some interaction with the keyboard, so I was also given FOC a new keyboard to bring it back closer to spec.

I would probably be prepared to do this one more time - if needed, but after that replace the computer itself. They don't last forever. Laptops seem generally to be considered almost as throw away items. Some newer ones (but not all) are better than my model. There are some cheap ones (maybe around £200 or even less on offers) which for many people might be considered good enough. Depends what the users want to do.

Comment

• Frances_iom
        • Mar 2007

on the cheap end the cost is (or was since it was 18months ago) about 10 to 15 pounds for most models - for the really old ones you could send the old one away to be refitted - supposedly new ones turned up at the local auction house for about a tenner - the couple I bought for Lenovo machines are still working some 2 or more years later. Like all 2nd replacement parts the mark up is truly excessive as internally they are usually standard Li cells tho possibly with a special interface board that is there both to protect charge + discharge rate but often has a nontamper mechanism to prevent a 2nd market developing allowing their appointed retailers to rake in high profits.

Comment

Working...
        X