X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hmvman
    • Mar 2007

Deteriorating CDs?

Idly visiting Slipped Disc this morning, I came upon this article: https://slippedisc.com/2021/09/are-y...on-your-shelf/

I have that set of the '48' which I haven't played for quite a while. Alarmed, I retrieved it from the shelves and found, to my relief, that it's still fine and played well. I then spent a very enjoyable half an hour or so listening to a few of these fine recordings.

I just wondered if anyone here has found these, or any other CDs, deteriorated beyond being able to be played.
  • Ein Heldenleben
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
    Idly visiting Slipped Disc this morning, I came upon this article: https://slippedisc.com/2021/09/are-y...on-your-shelf/

I have that set of the '48' which I haven't played for quite a while. Alarmed, I retrieved it from the shelves and found, to my relief, that it's still fine and played well. I then spent a very enjoyable half an hour or so listening to a few of these fine recordings.

I just wondered if anyone here has found these, or any other CDs, deteriorated beyond being able to be played.
    No never . I think it’s an urban myth. I have thirty year old CDs which sound exactly the same as when bought .

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

I still have my very first CD, bought in November 1985 (Holst The Planets LPO/Solti) and it still plays fine.

The only problem I've ever had in almost 40 years, and mentioned in the comments to the SD article, is with the foam inserts which were used in boxed sets, mostly Philips and DG I think. Someone on this Forum (I forget who it was, unfortunately) flagged it up a few years ago and I'm glad they did because after a mad dash through the shelves one Sunday afternoon, I managed to successfully salvage those CDs which had a sticky residue from the rotting foam before it got much worse. There was some scarring on an EMI disc (they must have done it too) of Mahler 7 with Tennstedt. but iInitial fears that it wouldn't play fortunately proved groundless.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

I have one 2-CD set that developed "bronzing". The other 2,000 or so are all as good as new, including the first one, bought on 01.03.83.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

I wonder which company stamped the discs which have deteriorted. Never mind stamped 'glass master' CDs, I have early CD-Rs, from the days when they cost over £1.50 each, which still paly perfectly, but far too many cheaper ones from the interim which have gone west. As I recall, the problem with the 'bronzing' of PDO manufactured disc from a certain period was down to a reaction between a non-standard lacquer and sulphur in the card or paper or the insert/booklet.

Comment

• hmvman
            • Mar 2007

Interesting comments, thanks. I must admit I'd never thought of disc deterioration as being a potential problem before and, as has been the case for several of you, my earliest discs are still playing ok.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hmvman View Post

I have the Collectors Edition. Purchased for £20.35 (including p&p in July 2016). The QOBUZ download of the set, replete with booklet pdf, cost around £52 for CD quality.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                • Apr 2007

This may clarify https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_disc_bronzing
                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                  No never . I think it’s an urban myth. I have thirty year old CDs which sound exactly the same as when bought .
                  Not too worried, TBH. I suspect some of my early CDs may not be as precious as those of some forumites. This doesn't persuade me of the benefits of either vinyl or high quality downloads/streaming over CD however.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                    The bronzing of some PDO manufactured discs was no urban myth. Many Hyperion discs were thus affected. I had several, which were readily replaced by Hyperion.
                    Last edited by Bryn; 05-09-21, 11:38. Reason: Typo

Comment

• mikealdren
                      • Nov 2010

I have a Pearl Campoli disk similarly afflicted but, sadly, Pearl are no longer there to replace it. I bought an Ebay replacement at some cost but it was worth it for such a favourite disk. My 3,700 CDs are now on computer so I have downloaded them them all over the years and fewer than 10 have been faulty.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                        Not too worried, TBH. I suspect some of my early CDs may not be as precious as those of some forumites. This doesn't persuade me of the benefits of either vinyl or high quality downloads/streaming over CD however.
                        Too right OG and I’m not expecting loads of boxes of dust any time soon.

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

I look at it this way: I was 31 when I bought my first CD in 1985 and it still plays fine; I'm now 67 and unlikely to live longer than that first CD has lasted even if it fails tomorrow.

If all my subsequent CDs last as long they will indeed last a lifetime.

I had my first LP at the age of 12 in 1966 and I have no doubt that it would still play if I had a machine to play it on. My LPs will also last a lifetime. So too will my books, some of which go further back still and some of which belonged to my parents and grandparents. The oldest book I have is a Book of Common Prayer dated 1765, still in reasonable condition and perfectly readable!
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                            I look at it this way: I was 31 when I bought my first CD in 1985 and it still plays fine; I'm now 67 and unlikely to live longer than that first CD has lasted even if it fails tomorrow.

If all my subsequent CDs last as long they will indeed last a lifetime.

I had my first LP at the age of 12 in 1966 and I have no doubt that it would still play if I had a machine to play it on. My LPs will also last a lifetime. So too will my books, some of which go further back still and some of which belonged to my parents and grandparents. The oldest book I have is a Book of Common Prayer dated 1765, still in reasonable condition and perfectly readable!
                            …and my guess is that like me you will not have enough time left to listen to all the CDs you have on your shelves!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              The bronzing of some PDO manufactured diss was no urban myth. Many Hyperion discs were thus affected. I had several, which were readily replaced by Hyperion.

Yes, no myth and it was considered in detail somewhere in the early recesses of the Forum.

I’ve only ever had 1 CD (among 2000-odd) which ‘went off’ - this cherished disc:

The company instantly replaced it at no cost with a pressing that’s bright and silver 15 or so years on
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X