X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    I doubt it. I’m actually not at all a fan of mobile phones, though we were very early adopters, and even had analogue ones in the past. Now that the digital ones can track one’s every movement and key press, I’m quite happy to have an old one and have it switched off most of the time. I do have a Samsung smartphone, and also an Apple i5, as well as a Sony Xperia. Mrs d has discovered that she can track my whereabouts in our new car using her phone - not only where it is, but which route it’s going and how fast etc. Hers is a more expensive Samsung Android model. Not good IMO - though I’m very probably not going to do anything to worry about.

I do need to show presentation software and I don’t think that would work well on a phone. I suspect that if I can get Zoom to work on High Sierra or El Capitan I can use one of my old iMacs to get the behaviour I feel is required.

That might be a better bet than trying to fix it with Catalina or fix Catalina, which for me, and I think many others, has been a right can of worms. In the longer term Apple may have been right to initiate some of their actions, but in the short term .... I could have lived quite happily for another few years without the inconveniences which emerged.
    My Zoom works better on my Android phone than on my new MacAir. Ymmv

Comment

• Anastasius
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      I would assess the sound quality as moderate - acceptable, though it could make sense to fit up an external microphone for better clarity.

Good job you haven't got a new 27" 2020 model. No external audio input !

This is a good article https://www.techrepublic.com/article...g-on-a-budget/
      Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
        Good job you haven't got a new 27" 2020 model. No external audio input !

This is a good article https://www.techrepublic.com/article...g-on-a-budget/
        Re audio, presumably the new iMacs do have USB - even if they are USB C inputs. There are audio adapters which should work with USB. I think something like a Zoom USB microphone or a Blue Snowball mic should work if the inbuilt microphone doesn't cut it.

Comment

• Anastasius
          • Mar 2015

The main issue I have with any Zoom meeting is forgetting to look up at that camera top of screen.
          Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
            The main issue I have with any Zoom meeting is forgetting to look up at that camera top of screen.
            Yes, here a well known Media Pundit recently came to grief when during a Zoom Session he focused his camera on the wrong head....

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

Dave, I listened over Zoom to a piano recital given by a friend and the sound was far better than expected. He used a decent microphone and ethernet cable - not wireless - and it worked well with the audience arrayed across the top of the screen. I'm looking forward to attending his next performance, it was quite special hearing live playing again, and the music was special too, Schumann Symphonic Studies including the 5 posthumous variations.

Comment

Working...
              X