X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Bose headphones connectivity - help requested

I have recently bought Bose 700 noise-cancelling headphones. I have successfully set them up to listen via my iPhone to internet sources, e.g. BBC Sounds, with pleasing success.

I of course also wish to listen to the radio and CDs via my hifi. However my amp and tuner are pre-digital (Leak Delta 70 amp and Delta AM-FM tuner). There is therefore no inbuilt means of connecting to this in the way that I have via the iPhone.

I have been told that I can obtain a 'digital dongle' which I can plug into the headphone socket on the amp. Presumably this could also work plugged into the headphone socket on my CD player (Technics SL-P350) which has of course digital output.

I would welcome advice - thank you.
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Would something like this one do? - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074M9N8NM

You could presumably send it back if it doesn't work for you. If your headphone sockets are the larger type you may need an adapter, but they're quite cheap.

See https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adaptor-6-3...%2C177&sr=1-10

or this if you want a more gold plated model

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

I am assuming that the Bose headphones are Bluetooth, though you don’t actually state that they are. I have Sony Bluetooth Noise Canceling phones, and they come supplied with a standard cord that will attach to a headphone socket of an amp, so they can also be used as standard headphones, hopefully Bose does the same. However, you presumably wish to have to advantages of being able to move around without being tethered to your system and are therefore interested in Bluetooth.
      There are devices that convert the digital flow from CDs into Bluetooth and then transmit them to your phones. Try Ion Audio website. There are also devices that convert analog into Bluetooth (many turntables advertise this feature). Presumably they perform analog to digital processing before mashing it into Bluetooth.

Be aware that there are different Bluetooth codecs that may differ in sound quality.

The other solution would be to record as many albums as yo can to your phone. Android phones use camera sound cards that can cheaply store up to 2 TB. Apple phones are limited because you don’t wish to eat the hard drive.

It may just be simpler to get a quality streaming service such as Qobuz and for the price of 1 CD /month they have solved all these issues for you.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

I recently bought Bose noise cancelling headphones - not the same premium model, but still excellent - and they were supplied with a plug-in cable for non-Bluetooth use. I did need a 6.5mm adaptor, but as Dave2002 says, these are cheap enough.

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Thanks for useful and interesting responses; I am investigating the various suggestions.

Yes, these are bluetooth enabled, but Bose do not supply a 'conventional' connecting cable, nor is there input for such.

They also are enabled to make phone calls, with an inbuilt microphone. There are three small switches on the phones and while investigating these, I suddenly heard voices. The headphones had dialled the Ringgo Parking line, and engaging with the robot there, endeavouring to park my car at a nearby station. However the robot rang off, not getting a reply from the phones.

Comment

• Constantbee
            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            I recently bought Bose noise cancelling headphones - not the same premium model, but still excellent - and they were supplied with a plug-in cable for non-Bluetooth use. I did need a 6.5mm adaptor, but as Dave2002 says, these are cheap enough.
            Another option for the Bose QC headphones is a 6.2m extension cable, which is what I still use. It's a bit cumbersome but it gives you some flexibility to move around.
            And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

If the headphones do not have the option of using a cable, I'd be inclined to return them, if the deadline hasn't passed. My cheaper Bose noise cancelling headphones do have this option, and they are excellent.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                If the headphones do not have the option of using a cable, I'd be inclined to return them, if the deadline hasn't passed. My cheaper Bose noise cancelling headphones do have this option, and they are excellent.
                I bought the old QD25s about a decade ago. On March 7th this year I managed to find a set of QC35 ii headphones in 'as new' condition, replete with case, plus audio and charging cables, for £125. I find them a significant improvement on the QC25 set but they still 'pump' when traveling on a bus or coach. they just cannot keep up with the throbbing vibrations. I mainly use them with the audio cable and concur that not providing such a facility is a retrograde step for Bose. Bluetooth, though it has improved over time, still has its audio limitations.

Comment

• johnb
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                  Yes, these are bluetooth enabled, but Bose do not supply a 'conventional' connecting cable, nor is there input for such.
                  I'm puzzled by that because reviews and the Bose 700 manual say that the headphones have a 2.5mm audio socket and that a 2.5mm to 3.5mm cable is included in the box. Obviously you have the headphones and have inspected them - but I'm puzzled.

Last edited by johnb; 24-07-20, 15:32.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    Many thanks for repsonses. I was mistaken - there are two cables supplied, as johnb says, one for charging the phones via USB socket; the other is the overlooked-by-me means of connecting to a source without bluetooth. This cable is, however, only 1 metre long, so while ok for use with a tablet or phone (my iPhone deosn't have a socket for that) it would be inconvenient for listening to the hifi, unless of course with an extension cable, which I have and will dig out.

The dongle discovered by Dave is two way, so I assume i would also be able to use this to enable use of my iPhone as a source for playing from the internet through my hifi.

Thanks Johnb for drawing my attention to the instructions on the Bose website. I should have thought of consulting these, although they are not signposted from the get-started leaflet that comes with the phones.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                      • Sep 2012

I had recently bought a “high resolution “ Bluetooth DAC (to an audiophile, that term is oxymoronic) by Audioengine. It handles the latest Bluetooth Codec and has astonishing range (I was wearing the Sony phones while grilling in my back yard, witnessed my elderly neighbor fall across the street, ran to help, and after picking her off the ground realized that I hadn’t had a drop out , with the unit being inside my home across the street). It is a major improvement over my previous Bluetooth device. I have been listening to podcasts recently while driving home and usually they are still in progress when I arrive home, and the previous device was difficult to sync with, had limited range and very poor quality. I’m streaming Karajan Brahms Second to it as I write this via Qobuz and it isn’t bad quality. However, I think it cost about ten times what Dave’s device does. The really inexpensive Bluetooth with older codecs sound and perform poorly, in my experience.

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                        I had recently bought a “high resolution “ Bluetooth DAC (to an audiophile, that term is oxymoronic) by Audioengine. It handles the latest Bluetooth Codec and has astonishing range (I was wearing the Sony phones while grilling in my back yard ....
                        Now you have me confused. I found an Audioengine receiver - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audioengine...tronics&sr=1-3 - but isn't that for connecting to speakers and such like? Surely your Sony phones were acting as receivers - or did you have another Audioengine unit acting as a transmitter - paired with those phones? I take your point about better quality though - do you think that is due to aptX?

Comment

• johnb
                          • Mar 2007

I had recently bought a “high resolution “ Bluetooth DAC (to an audiophile, that term is oxymoronic) by Audioengine. It handles the latest Bluetooth Codec and has astonishing range....
                          Which model is that? I looked at their website and could only find a Bluetooth receiver.

For some time I've been tentatively wondering about getting a Bluetooth transmitter to plug into my audio system (for my Sony headphones) but the devices I've seen haven't really inspired me.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                            • Sep 2012

What the hell? I had a brain cramp! The Audioengine is just a receiver. The source during my episode with my neighbor was my phone, sitting in my kitchen, from which I ran to help my neighbor while still wearing my headphones. I became confused because the same week I was grilling, fairly close to the same neighbors yard, had left the phone by the grill and the Audioengine was happily receiving it from deep in the house. Both the phones and the Audioengine B1 have extraordinary range.
                            Anyway, I conflated the two stories when I wrote my post. I think I had better cut the Lockdown wine consumption

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

What the hell? I had a brain cramp!

I think I had better cut the Lockdown wine consumption
                              I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I like the phrase “brain cramp”, and I’m reminded of a similar phrase which I saw in the museum at Ironbridge - the place at the start of the Industrial Revolution - “brain fag”. I think It was used in an advert or on the box of some food or medication which was claimed to ameloriate that said condition..

Comment

Working...
                              X