X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Limiting email on laptop - recent mail only perhaps

After the very recent near calamity with a driver, microphone and a restoration using Time Machine, my Macbook Pro is working again, and seems OK-ish. Not quite the same as it was, but mostly it is.

One thing which doesn't work at present is email, though I can read and send email from other machines and from my iPads. I'd like to re-initialise the email. Normally I'd use IMAP. However, there is a lot of email on the server(s), I think. Is there any way to set things up so that the mail client doesn't try to download all the email from the server(s) - perhaps only the last 3 months worth? I'm using the Apple mail client in Macos.

One possibility is that my enthusiasm for Smart folders, which are sometimes very useful, drags all the mail over, which then makes it almost impossible to run anything within the space left on the machine. Smart folders can be used to limit the mail displayed to the last few months, but I think they may cause all the mail to be downloaded first, then filtered, rather than filtering first [at the server end], then downloading.

I don't want to delete all the mail which is not wanted on this laptop from the server(s) - as I can always access it from other machines if I need to.

How do I do this - if I can?
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

I'm still trying to find answers to the issues mentioned in msg 1. I guess the easiest thing for now is going to be to open a new email account, and only use that for email to and from my laptop. That way a new email account won't flood my inbox and my laptop with copies of old mail.

Another solution would be to use the online web mail sites, with browsers.

What are the currrent "best" options for free or cheap email accounts?

Comment

Working...
    X