X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Panning and ambience in DAWs

A lot of recorded music is now largely artificial. "Instruments" may be virtual, and even real ones recorded with microphones may be close miked, and perhaps only recorded in mono, then pan-potted into a stereo mix.

I don't know how surround sound mastering works, or is "normally" done. Some sound engineers use ambisonics, or soundfield mics, which I believe may have significant advantages, at least for production. This is not only for music, but also for films. Some engineers may use completely different techniques. Mastering for binaural recordings could also be different. Sometimes even professionals seem to get things wrong - for example in films - if someone is centre screen, the effect of using a stereo mix of equal L,R will sound different from a centre speaker, and sometimes (perhaps because of lack of time or suitable equipment) the positioning of voices corresponding to the visual images is completely wrong. We normally tolerate this, but it isn't natural.

For stereo most DAWs have a panning option for each track, though whether this is for mono tracks or stereo tracks - I just don't know. My suspicion (but I could be wrong) is that panning simply does a relative volume adjustment between the left and right channels. However, this might not be optimal. For low frequencies this would probably be the best option - but for higher frequencies it might actually be better to combine the panning operation with phase shifts. Even more sophisticated systems might also adjust the tonal characteristics of each recorded signal.

I just don't know what happens in typical DAWs - whether they "simply" do a L-R relative volume adjustment, or something much more intricate. Also, it wouldn't be impossible for each DAW to have several different algorithms, so that the engineers using them could choose which panning option to use for this kind of operation.

Things do get even more complicated if one takes into account ambience, and an artificial "virtual environment".
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

ALL recorded music is electronic music

I suggest you get a bit more hands on experience playing with these things which will become a bit clearer with experience
    Sadly my trip to EMS in Stockholm later this month to make some 4 and 8 channel things has been postponed due to corona

There are various ways of panning stereo / mono tracks etc
    Lots of information about this online

Please don't start on the whole "natural" bollocks......

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      ALL recorded music is electronic music

I suggest you get a bit more hands on experience playing with these things which will become a bit clearer with experience
      Sadly my trip to EMS in Stockholm later this month to make some 4 and 8 channel things has been postponed due to corona

There are various ways of panning stereo / mono tracks etc
      Lots of information about this online

Please don't start on the whole "natural" bollocks......
      Yep - agree. Except that some is more electronic than others. Some has never been near a human performer, or an instrument which directly interacts with air without electronic or electrical means.

I will play a bit more. I succumbed and bought Logic Pro X - which is a different beast from GB, and does at least some of what I wanted.

I've not given up on Reaper, but I do need to figure that out a whole lot more.

Comment

Working...
      X