X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anastasius
    • Mar 2015

Recommendation for ear buds

As per the title really. Not too expensive (under £100) but definitely a pair that won't fall out of my ears within five minutes ! Wired or un-wired.

TIA
    Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
  • Braunschlag
    • Jul 2017

Perhaps have a look at the RHA brand. Had a pair of T20s at one point (which are more than your budget) but I was impressed by build/sound/comfort and they kind of hooked around so they didn’t drop out. I’m not a great fan of buds but these were very decent devices.
    Tuneable, HiFi, Hi-Res audio produced by RHA's revolutionary DualCoil™ driver technology and interchangeable tuning filters. With RHA 3 year warranty.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
      • Jan 2014

The Feb 2020 edition (i.e. latest) of the Gramophone magazine (page 120) has a very positive review of these in-ear Bluetooth headphones just within your budget:

Lypertek Tevi True Wireless In Ear Isolating Earphones

River people ASIN ref: B07VB46R9Y

Comment

• cmr_for3
        • Nov 2015

I've only just learnt that ear buds refer to a specific style of earphone (the only sort I can wear) so I'll take an interest in this thread. My own earphone choices have never been high end (new to high end audio) and I've always just used them for work. My current pair are these if they are useful to anybody:

Comment

• Anastasius
          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Braunschlag View Post
          Perhaps have a look at the RHA brand. Had a pair of T20s at one point (which are more than your budget) but I was impressed by build/sound/comfort and they kind of hooked around so they didn’t drop out. I’m not a great fan of buds but these were very decent devices.
          https://www.rha-audio.com/uk/product...ones/t20?c=166
          That's annoying. Had a quick peek while in the workshop and used my smartphone. Offer of 25% off if doing a survey. Didn't have the time then. Few hours later...used my Mac and the offer has gone !

CS...many thanks and PM replied to.

Comment

• mallard fizz
            Banned
            • Oct 2019

RHA T-20 are first class earbuds. Had them a few years now. Wait for another discount to come around - wait or buy now, either way, you won't regret.

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

It might blow the budget, but there a some brands that require an audiologist to make a wax imprint of the ear canal. After 30 years of looking in peoples ears on a daily basis, I can testify that one size won’t fit all.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

I still have a suspicion that using these things, or headphones, increases the likelihood of earwax build up, which I encounter periodically. Travelling on planes doesn't help either.

Comment

• Anastasius
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                  It might blow the budget, but there a some brands that require an audiologist to make a wax imprint of the ear canal. After 30 years of looking in peoples ears on a daily basis, I can testify that one size won’t fit all.
                  Which is why I'm leaning towards the clip-over type like the RHA T-20. Trouble is I'm also leaning towards a wireless version which will most likely blow the budget. So I am thinking about extending their use as follows.

My wife's hearing is A1**. She could hear a pin drop a mile away...OK, I exaggerate ..mine is rather poor and so if we're watching TV, I've taken to wearing headphones on the end of a very long cable. They are a bit on the large side...market leaders in their time. So just wondering how I could get the TV sound into some wireless ear buds. A bluetooth audio transmitter perhaps?

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

Does your TV transmit BT? Or is it hooked up into an amp?

Comment

• Anastasius
                      • Mar 2015

It's connected up to a small amp that drives the current headphones. I've looked at Amazon and there are a lot of bluetooth amplifiers. Do you (or anyone else) have any experience of the Bose StayHere + ?

Comment

• Dave2002
                        • Dec 2010

I’m not sure about our older TVs (we have a -now- older Sharp model) , but newer ones do seem to come with Bluetooth - as in our not so old Toshiba.

I can’t speak for Anastasius. If one has to have earbuds/earphones, particularly for TV I would recommend some form of wireless over wired connections.

Alternatively, feed the TV audio to a headphone amp (by whatever means is most suitable - Ethernet, Home plug/Powerline, wireless) situated by a suitable chair for wired headphone listening.

Comment

• Anastasius
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          .....some form of wireless over wired connections.

??? Not sure what that is. Sounds like an oxymoron to me !

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
                            ??? Not sure what that is. Sounds like an oxymoron to me !
                            You could put wires from your TV to some form of headphone unit near your listening point, then have the last stretch via a wireless (e.g Bluetooth) link - for mobility reasons. The trouble with wires is that it might not be easy to put them in.

You could replace wires by powerline links, or use a wireless connection.

At least this would avoid falls and hospital visits due to trips.

Comment

• Anastasius
                              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              You could put wires from your TV to some form of headphone unit near your listening point, then have the last stretch via a wireless (e.g Bluetooth) link - for mobility reasons. The trouble with wires is that it might not be easy to put them in.

You could replace wires by powerline links, or use a wireless connection.

At least this would avoid falls and hospital visits due to trips.
                              Thanks for the clarification.

As I've already got the headphone amp by the TV, a simple Bluetooth transmitter will suffice, I think. The only reservation I have is possible audio delay and loss of lipsync. Mind you, with most actors mumbling their lines these days, it probably wouldn't make that much difference!

As an aside, I'm not a great fan of powerline adapters. Firstly as mentioned before, they can mess up any radio amateurs nearby. Secondly, the TP-Link adapters are very iffy in my experience. We watch Netflix via the smart TV but after 20 minutes or so, it all grinds down to a halt and we have to come out of the film, go back in and carry on again from where we'd got to. After a lot of Googling I came across a few posts saying that the TP/Links could cause this and so I've binned them. Replaced with a Mesh network from Zen.

Comment

Working...
                              X