X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cmr_for3
    • Nov 2015

Connecting TV to Amp

I currently have my skybox (it's the wireless HD+ type) connecting to an input on my amp (L&R connections) via a scart adapter on the box. It works fine but the volume output is very low.

I was thinking would this change result in better audio quality/volume output.

Optical connection on TV to a dac connected to the currently used input on the amp?

What brand of DAC would serve the purpose? does price matter with this kit?

Thanks all
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

A few points. Are you receiving Sky via satellite or via broadband? May not matter, but we have noticed lip sync problems recently - though not with Sky, but with other broadcast channels received via internet. You won't want to improve the sound quality, and then discover you get some lip sync problems. This kind of issue is probably not of great concern for audio only systems, but for video it is important. If your TV can adjust for lip sync then the external devices matter less, but if it can't then you might want to make sure that your external device can adjust for any delays. Note also that lip sync can drift, so it's not necessarily a one off adjustment, unfortunately.

I wonder if Chromecast devices would work with your Sky HD+ box. I don't know about compatibility. Chromecast devices are pretty good, but they don't work in the same way as some others.

Are you only interested in stereo? There's a whole range of DACs, ranging from some very cheap (but acceptable) ones up to highly expensive and esoteric ones. Something like this might do the job - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Ana...9602257&sr=8-1 for around £20, or you may want to spend more and get something more refined.

If you want surround sound you'll need different kit.

Comment

• cmr_for3
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      A few points. Are you receiving Sky via satellite or via broadband? May not matter, but we have noticed lip sync problems recently - though not with Sky, but with other broadcast channels received via internet. You won't want to improve the sound quality, and then discover you get some lip sync problems. This kind of issue is probably not of great concern for audio only systems, but for video it is important. If your TV can adjust for lip sync then the external devices matter less, but if it can't then you might want to make sure that your external device can adjust for any delays. Note also that lip sync can drift, so it's not necessarily a one off adjustment, unfortunately.

I wonder if Chromecast devices would work with your Sky HD+ box. I don't know about compatibility. Chromecast devices are pretty good, but they don't work in the same way as some others.

Are you only interested in stereo? There's a whole range of DACs, ranging from some very cheap (but acceptable) ones up to highly expensive and esoteric ones. Something like this might do the job - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Ana...9602257&sr=8-1 for around £20, or you may want to spend more and get something more refined.

If you want surround sound you'll need different kit.
      Dave,

Thanks for the pointers.

I'm receiving Sky via satellite.

You have made me think though that I need to see if the Sky box has an optical connection as I want to route the Sky audio to the amp mainly when I'm gaming - of course if I connect the tv to the amp this purpose will be defeated!

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Does your TV have an optical out, or a coaxial output for audio? If you want to go with optical connections, and you want to switch devices, then - clunky as they are - optical switches similar to this may be quite useful - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-Opti...603640&sr=8-35

I have a couple like these which I used to hide under the TV bench, though they are not installed at present.

However, I've just noticed these electrical/electronic switches - https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=optical...f=nb_sb_noss_1

A few years back electronic switches for this kind of application were relatively expensive, but it looks as though prices have come down. There seems to have been a significant change with more electronic switches now available at much lower prices.

Comment

• cmr_for3
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          Does your TV have an optical out, or a coaxial output for audio? If you want to go with optical connections, and you want to switch devices, then - clunky as they are - optical switches similar to this may be quite useful - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ex-Pro-Opti...603640&sr=8-35

I have a couple like these which I used to hide under the TV bench, though they are not installed at present.

However, I've just noticed these electrical/electronic switches - https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=optical...f=nb_sb_noss_1

A few years back electronic switches for this kind of application were relatively expensive, but it looks as though prices have come down. There seems to have been a significant change with more electronic switches now available at much lower prices.
          Thanks Dave - very useful

so am I right in thinking my chain would need to go thus?:

Dac connected to hifi -> ouput on the switch. I can then connect my tv and sky box to the inputs on the switch.

Thanks

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Re switches - Yes - I think your suggested configuration should work. Some of the electronic switches might have some form of auto switching, or at least a remote control - though I don’t know. Some HDMI switchers work that way. Possibly some of these may also allow connection via coaxial cables as well as fibre links. Some enthusiasts claim that coax is better than optical cable for that form of link (TOSlink/SPDIF).

Although the optical mechanical switches probably do have input/output markings, essentially they just join optical cables together, so they are effectively bi-directional, though the optical signal could be reduced if several units are chained together, and that might affect some digital devices.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by cmr_for3 View Post
              I currently have my skybox (it's the wireless HD+ type) connecting to an input on my amp (L&R connections) via a scart adapter on the box. It works fine but the volume output is very low.

Optical connection on TV to a dac connected to the currently used input on the amp?

Thanks all

Don't know your budget, the amp or the space available but if its better sound you want - keep it simple: connect the Skybox coax or opt digital out to a DAC, and plug the DAC into your amp. If you can afford it, look at the Cambridge DACMAGIC range, either the "100" model or the "Plus"...
              Don't go too cheap as quality and reliability will be compromised...

Also: future-proofing: the more connectivity you have on the DAC the more you can do with it in future.... might you watch and listen to Proms on the same system, or connect a computer via USB? The Cambridge will certainly sound better on those...

Comment

• cmr_for3
                • Nov 2015

Thanks Jane this was my original plan.

I do like the look of the CA range. Just not sure I can justify the cost.

Incidentally my amp already has a DAC (but the optical input is being used by my Chromecast audio) I assume I'd have no issues connecting in effect a 2nd dac to one of my analogue inputs (the DAC Magic manual suggests not, and I am sure I may be showing my lack of knowledge here)

DAC 100 does look tempting...

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                  • Nov 2010

Thanks all
                  Why not ask our boarder colleague, AmpH?

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                    • Jan 2014

Thanks Jane this was my original plan.

I do like the look of the CA range. Just not sure I can justify the cost.

Incidentally my amp already has a DAC (but the optical input is being used by my Chromecast audio) I assume I'd have no issues connecting in effect a 2nd dac to one of my analogue inputs (the DAC Magic manual suggests not, and I am sure I may be showing my lack of knowledge here)

DAC 100 does look tempting...
                    If you type "optical switch" on the river people's site, there are remote controlled switches so you should be able to use your present DAC..(Make sure not to buy an HDMI switch).

This is a manual switch if you are prepared to forgo the remote. (I use a manual switch in my garage workshop and it works fine).

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

It is possible to use HDMI with an AV receiver, though that might not be the best way to go. For some purposes it could be a good option.

Some DACs have more then one set of inputs, so you wouldn’t necessarily need external switches, though this might also depend on the devices to be connected. My Beresford Caiman DAC has both optical and coax inputs (switchable), as well as a USB input. Jayne’s suggestion to buy a DAC with appropriate switchable inputs makes sense, though Sod’s law probably means you’ll get the wrong balance of different input types, and still find you’ll need some external switches or converters. Depends if you have expansionist tendencies I guess. Then you’ll always be one input short.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

any DAC with an optical input should work. AFAIK there aren’t DACs that are more geared towards TV vs music...

Comment

• cmr_for3
                          • Nov 2015

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Plumped for this in the end. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Shall report back when setup.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

TV is next to amp and I just use an optical cable straight from TV's digital audio output to one of amp's digital inputs. (Marantz PM 6006). I don't use DAC and don't seem to be missing much. It sounds great with speakers well placed either side of TV. I never use the tinny TV speakers.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                              TV is next to amp and I just use an optical cable straight from TV's digital audio output to one of amp's digital inputs. (Marantz PM 6006). I don't use DAC and don't seem to be missing much. It sounds great with speakers well placed either side of TV. I never use the tinny TV speakers.
                              In fact the DAC inside your Marantz 6006 is a pretty good & very versatile one from Cirrus Logic....

Comment

Working...
                              X