X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Problems installing Sibelius First

My trial of Sibelius has come to an end. I expected that like many other packages, it would still work, but simply drop into a cut down version. No - it doesn't seem to do that.

Avid seem to have made things excessively difficult. After several abortive steps, getting a new password, dowloading the software again, and then still encountering problems.

Maybe this is a punishment for trying to run the software on an Apple Mac, or not deciding to pay for a much more expensive subscription. I'm not even that bothered about the application, as I do find that Musescore is good enough most of the time, but I would like to be able to use the score scanning software which allegedly is packaged with the Sibelius First software.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    My trial of Sibelius has come to an end. I expected that like many other packages, it would still work, but simply drop into a cut down version. No - it doesn't seem to do that.

Avid seem to have made things excessively difficult. After several abortive steps, getting a new password, dowloading the software again, and then still encountering problems.

Maybe this is a punishment for trying to run the software on an Apple Mac, or not deciding to pay for a much more expensive subscription. I'm not even that bothered about the application, as I do find that Musescore is good enough most of the time, but I would like to be able to use the score scanning software which allegedly is packaged with the Sibelius First software.
    I think your trial has come to an end...
    gone are the days when you could simply delete and start again OR reset the clock of the computer to get an everlasting trial
    NOTHING to do with Mac as I would guess that most people run Sibelius on a Mac anyway these days.

I know it's hard that they actually want to make money by selling you a licence but that's Capitalism for you

You will be able to find "cracked" versions i'm sure if that's what you want

Actually, on reflection, it will still work but you won't be able to save or export anything... I have a version of Sibelius 7 which i'm not planning to buy a licence for BUT I can open files sent to me etc etc

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      I think your trial has come to an end...
      gone are the days when you could simply delete and start again OR reset the clock of the computer to get an everlasting trial
      NOTHING to do with Mac as I would guess that most people run Sibelius on a Mac anyway these days.

I know it's hard that they actually want to make money by selling you a licence but that's Capitalism for you

You will be able to find "cracked" versions i'm sure if that's what you want

Actually, on reflection, it will still work but you won't be able to save or export anything... I have a version of Sibelius 7 which i'm not planning to buy a licence for BUT I can open files sent to me etc etc
      It's not the problem with the free trial that bothers me - but that the supposedly free version of Sibelius First doesn't load/install. Other software I've had over many years usually goes seamlessly into a reduced/cut down version if I decide not to pay for it.

Avid seem to have created a system which is very difficult to handle.

I don't mind paying for things if I "need" them, and the price is OK. For me the full version of Sibelius, whether it's good or bad, is a luxury item which I don't need, and I think the cut down versions aren't economic for me, either.

OH - re capitalism - it's a two way thing. If buyers don't want to buy at the price or under the conditions offered, then the supplier will go out of business, or will have to modify its pricing policies.

It may be that the core user base is not big enough for financial sustainability.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        It's not the problem with the free trial that bothers me - but that the supposedly free version of Sibelius First doesn't load/install. Other software I've had over many years usually goes seamlessly into a reduced/cut down version if I decide not to pay for it.
        I think it might be your machine
        As I said, I have a version that does this fine (as well as a paid previous version on the same computer)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

And there I was, thinking you were referring to the symphony.

Then I thought you were referring to an old version of Sibelius software. Wrong on both counts.

It got me thinking about have confusing the numbering has become:

Sibelius 7
          Sibelius 6
          Sibelius 7 Student
          Sibelius
          Sibelius 2
          Sibelius 3
          Sibelius 4
          Sibelius 5
          Sibelius 6
          Sibelius 7 (again)
          Sibelius 8...

All we need now is Kullervo

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            And there I was, thinking you were referring to the symphony.

Then I thought you were referring to an old version of Sibelius software. Wrong on both counts.

It got me thinking about have confusing the numbering has become:

Sibelius 7
            Sibelius 6
            Sibelius 7 Student
            Sibelius
            Sibelius 2
            Sibelius 3
            Sibelius 4
            Sibelius 5
            Sibelius 6
            Sibelius 7 (again)
            Sibelius 8...

All we need now is Kullervo
            Maybe a new generation - Pohjola’s Daughter

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              I think it might be your machine
              As I said, I have a version that does this fine (as well as a paid previous version on the same computer)
              I may try again later. Perhaps I'll contact the Avid help line.

It could be my machine, though I doubt it. One issue might be if there's a licence file which isn't updated correctly, and which I now perhaps can't delete or change. Most vendors doing this kind of trial get things like this sorted fairly seamlessly.

In the meantime I have had some sort of dubious success with another piece of software - see http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...568#post772568

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                Maybe a new generation - Pohjola’s Daughter
                Sandels!

Comment

Working...
                X