X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mal
    • Dec 2016

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    I think the Bob Ludwig quote went over Mal’s head, Jayne.
    Maybe, and the Martians didn't help much either!

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
      As for Russ Andrews, I confess that I'm skeptical about some of the stuff he sells.
      Don't be daft
      I use one of these on my kettle and the depth of the tannins is impressive

Leading manufacturer and retailer of Hi-Fi mains cables, mains conditioning products and Kimber Kable interconnects and speaker cable. Est 1986.

About as credible as this https://www.homeopathycenter.org/remedy/luna

Comment

• johnb
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        Don't be daft

Leading manufacturer and retailer of Hi-Fi mains cables, mains conditioning products and Kimber Kable interconnects and speaker cable. Est 1986.

I trust you went for the "Super Burn in Plus" option.

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
          I trust you went for the "Super Burn in Plus" option.
          Of course I did
          Don't want to skimp on the PG Tipps

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Don't be daft
            If you want true depth of flavour, you need to get oxygen-free copper, at the very least, laid from a filter at the local mains distribution hub, to your presumably already oxygen-free copper ring mains.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              If you want true depth of flavour, you need to get oxygen-free copper, at the very least, laid from a filter at the local mains distribution hub, to your presumably already oxygen-free copper ring mains.
              It cost a fortune to get the electricity board to dig up the road and upgrade ALL the power from the hub but now that's done it's all systems go
              but........
              Just thinking about mugs ? What frequency do you think they should be "burned in" at ?
              Spoons are a whole other area where i'm sure improvements could be made

I'm not 100% convinced about the signal purity from the power station though

Comment

• gradus
                • Nov 2010

So we can use lighting flex to connect our speakers. Peter Walker was right after all.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                  • Nov 2010

I think at this point in HiFi discussions it’s mandatory to mention Peter Belt. So I have.
                  Steve

Comment

• Lordgeous
                    • Dec 2012

On March 13, May Belt of PWB Electronics announced via e-mail that Peter W. Belt, the company's founder and her husband of many years, passed away on February 17. He was 87.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                      I think at this point in HiFi discussions it’s mandatory to mention Peter Belt. So I have.
                      "Aligning the slots in screw heads.

Align the slots in all screw heads so that the slots are parallel to the earth’s surface. ALL screws – screws fastening light switches to the wall, screws fastening AC power sockets to the wall, screws fastening shelves to the wall etc. Listen to some music for a short time and then move any of the screw slots away from being parallel to the earth’s surface and see if you can listen to the same music with the same pleasure !!"

I'm loving this .... many thanks for giving me such great entertainment

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

"Aligning the slots in screw heads.

Align the slots in all screw heads so that the slots are parallel to the earth’s surface. ALL screws – screws fastening light switches to the wall, screws fastening AC power sockets to the wall, screws fastening shelves to the wall etc. Listen to some music for a short time and then move any of the screw slots away from being parallel to the earth’s surface and see if you can listen to the same music with the same pleasure !!"

I'm loving this .... many thanks for giving me such great entertainment
                        I tend to use star-head screws, so I'm . . .

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          I tend to use star-head screws, so I'm . . .
                          ... au contraire : star-heads optimal for multi-channel / surround-sound listening.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                            Banned
                            • Jul 2011

Exactly
                            And (as I'm often banging on about) why buy some overpriced DAC when you can get the RME one that was probably used to record the music in the first place for half the price?
                            As I've often remarked before, RME designs appear to have many redundant functions in a domestic context...why spend on things you don't need?..... and they aren't much different in price, often more than e.g. excellent Cambridge, Audiolab, Benchmark, Chord etc DAC designs...some RMEs cost considerably more, £1000+...and more than my own T&A, as I bought it for little more than half price 6 months old....
                            (RMEs aren't the prettiest, not my thing visually... and some need connecting cables through the fascia... wouldn't be practical here...)

Ease of use, simplicity & attractiveness of visual interface (nice big display, not too many tiny controls/readouts I never use....)...robust simple & elegant design....and nice to the touch!..... all important to me...

I use XLR cables almost throughout the system apart from USB, coax and BNC to the DAC........
                            I've had some very interesting - musically significant - experiences with mains cables and Isolation Transformers (still use the latter, a Trichord Powerblock...)..but the way this thread has gone (old jokes are the best, eh?) I'll keep them to myself.

Great Prom tonight though...(R3 AAC through AQ Jitterbugs, Kimber USB, Uptone Regen to the DAC..... XLRs to pre & Power Amp....Kimber 8TC to Harbeths....chosen by ear...
                            And very open, clear & musical it sounds...)

So I'm off to relax & stare out at the rain....hope the cricket starts again soon....or I might put that gorgeous Dalbavie album back on ...
                            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 16-08-19, 17:33.

Comment

• johnb
                              • Mar 2007

I see the RME ADI-2 DAC costs ~£800. Very interesting reviews though it is likely to be pretty cruel with poor recordings. It is no more "utilitarian" than the Benchmark DAC that costs over £1k.

Incidentally, I remember James Tanner of Bryston (whose kit is quite pricey) once posting that their XLR cables are made from relatively inexpensive Van Damme microphone cable with Neutric gold plated plugs and that is what they recommended to link their Pre and Power Amps.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

There's more !

Comment

Working...
                                X