X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LezLee
    • Apr 2019

Pop-up spam problem

Don't know if this is really a tech question.
    For the last couple of days, on 2 or 3 different forums I've had a pop-up message saying 'Congratulations, you have been selected for ...' plus a 'close' option which just further describes whatever you've 'won'. There's also a cross by the url which does nothing! The only way out is to move to a safer site or switch off. Is there anything I can do?
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Best not to click on anything, as it could plant a virus on your device.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Spooky: Just had one on the York Press site at the same time as my landline rang, and there was no-one at the other end!
      Closed the site down, as Alpie suggested, and hope I've not been infected.

Comment

• LezLee
        • Apr 2019

Thanks, I'lll take your advice. Bloody nuisance though, one's a favourite site and I really want to read and post.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Best not to click on anything, as it could plant a virus on your device.
          More likely a worm than a virus, these days, but the same advice applies. If you don't know its provenance, don't click on it.

Comment

• LezLee
            • Apr 2019

But what I really want to know is, can I get rid of it? I've not been able to reply to posts on some sites and it's driving me mad!

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
              But what I really want to know is, can I get rid of it? I've not been able to reply to posts on some sites and it's driving me mad!
              What sort of device are you using? What identifying features does the pop-up carry? Have you Googled for help as to how to remove it? It looks like it ought to be identified as, at very least, a PUP, and be removeable by something like the free version of Malwarebytes.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Not sure how many devices you have. If you've more than one, you can try to reply to posts on one of the others while you sort out the issue (or not) on your main one. I suppose that might create a further hazard, if somone or some organisation is tracking you, as they might watch to see if you use another device - but then, how paranoid can you get?

Comment

• LezLee
                  • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  What sort of device are you using? What identifying features does the pop-up carry? Have you Googled for help as to how to remove it? It looks like it ought to be identified as, at very least, a PUP, and be removeable by something like the free version of Malwarebytes.
                  I'm using an iPad 4 Mini. The pop-up is a small white panel in the middle of the page:

'Congratulations! You have a chance to get a special award!' Close.

The url (with padlock) is: lpsaverdomain.com

Doesn't happen on my old MacBook. I'm not sure how to ask Google - I rarely use it!

Comment

• Dave2002
                    • Dec 2010

Are you using Safari, or some other browser? There are settings in Safari in iOS to block popups - have they been changed? Check in Settings.

If you are using another browser, check to see what popup blocking options you have. As suggested in other posts, do not click on any popup.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

I'm using an iPad 4 Mini. The pop-up is a small white panel in the middle of the page:

'Congratulations! You have a chance to get a special award!' Close.

The url (with padlock) is: lpsaverdomain.com

Doesn't happen on my old MacBook. I'm not sure how to ask Google - I rarely use it!
                      Ah. I am not an Apple fan. Others here are and may be able to offer more specific advice. However, it must be clearly understood that the commonly held view that Apple products are safe from malware is quite false. they are less vulnerable and less often targetted than Microsoft O/S devices but they can still suffer cyber-attacks. It is worth scanning with anti-malware apps such as the free version of Malwarebytes (just an example - others are avaiable).

Comment

• FFAdminMKS
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2010

This may help. The general view seems to be that the problem, if you're using an iOS device, is with the browser not the site you are trying to access. Clearing your cache should help.

Seeing Congrats You Won An Amazon Gift Card Pop-Ups on your iPhone or iPad while using Safari? If so, don't tap it--get rid of it! Here's How

Forum discussion: What is this? If I go to a legitimate (safe) site occasionally there are these pop ups Reminds me of Windows. I thought (hoped) Apple stuff was immune from it I never click on links nor install dodgy apps
                        --
                        Administrators

Comment

• johnb
                          • Mar 2007

Have you tried doing a hard reboot of your iPad: holding down the Home Button and the top right button until the iPad starts to reboot? (It solved a problem I once had.)

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                            Have you tried doing a hard reboot of your iPad: holding down the Home Button and the top right button until the iPad starts to reboot? (It solved a problem I once had.)
                            There is some advice from Apple here:

Find out how to block pop-up windows and handle persistent ads on your iPhone, iPad or Mac.

Comment

• Anastasius
                              • Mar 2015

Try these steps

Set your device to Airplane Mode.
                              Delete your Safari data by going to Settings, then Safari, then Clear History and Website Data.
                              Open Safari and exit Airplane Mode.
                              Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

Working...
                              X