Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stunsworth
    • Nov 2010

I’m pretty sure gaps between tracks are related to using a web browser rather than the Windows/Mac app. Also once upon a time a web browser would only play the MP3 version of an album regardless of the subscription you had, I don’t know if that’s the case.

I listen to Qobuz virtually every day either via Roon or one of the Qobuz apps, and I’ve never heard gaps between tracks.
    Steve

Comment

• Anastasius
      • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Have you bumped those 2009 machines up to Sierra or High Sierra? I have some machines which may be from that period, and I think Sierra may be the limit for some of them. I still have one running Snow Leopard, but I've not turned it on for some while now.
      Can't do it. El C on one...that's as far as it can go. T'other 2009 iMac on Maverick....ditto. MacBook on Lion I think...and it's this one that I listen to most as it's in the workshop. I do have a more modern MacBook Pro but it's in too good a nick to be subjected to the dust etc in the workshop.
      Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• johnb
        • Mar 2007

I've never heard any gaps between tracks. I'm using LMS (Logitech Media Server) running on a dedicated Ubuntu Server -> Squeezebox Touch -> DAC.

Incidentally, I'm thinking about replacing the Touch with RaspPi + an audio HAT board or with one of the more costly (and better looking) commercial streamers that can support LMS (e.g. Metrum Ambre with piCorePlayer).

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
          I use Qobuz Studio every day as a kind of personal radio station & New Release Service - no problem here at all, certainly not of that kind, now or in the past. They certainly don't insert gaps, or at least I've never heard any. Which recordings are they? I'll check them if you want. I used Qobuz HiFi from 2016-18, never any problem there either. All in the Audirvana+ Player of course. Super-stable.

It could be your playback system.... which is?

From time to time you get a glitch (extraneous brief noise etc.) or something on a file, I tell them and they usually thank me for it. But it can be down to the record company to correct so isn't always swiftly done.

On the few occasions I had a faulty download, they refunded it and offered me a free album....
          My experience is similar, though in the case of the Ives Ensemble recording of Feldman's SQ2, after I complained and they removed it in response, they later reinstated it with the very same faults.

Comment

• Anastasius
            • Mar 2015

An update...

Jayne Lee Wilson hads hit the nail on the head. I finally got round to actually doing some elementary fault-finding. Gosh...I wish I'd done it sooner. Ditched the elderlyMacbook and external DAC converter and simply fed my sound system from the earphone jack on my smartphone. No delays between tracks. But my God...like a veil being lifted. I listen to a lot of music with chorus...Gurrelieder...that sort of thing and never enjoyed it as the chorus always sounded rough and ragged. No such problem using my smartphone...the clarity is astounding compared to the mud I was listening through before).

Both smartphone and Macbook utilise the same wifi arrangement (mesh network). But the smartphone uses Qobuz's app and so it's not possible to say if it's the Macbook or the browser on the Macbook that causes the delays between tracks. But nay bother...I'll be using the smartphone from now on.

Comment

• Stunsworth
              • Nov 2010

Great news!

Did you every try the Qobuz app on the Mac? Of course depending on how old the Mac is it’s possible that the app isn’t supported.
              Steve

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
                An update...

Jayne Lee Wilson hads hit the nail on the head. I finally got round to actually doing some elementary fault-finding. Gosh...I wish I'd done it sooner. Ditched the elderlyMacbook and external DAC converter and simply fed my sound system from the earphone jack on my smartphone. No delays between tracks. But my God...like a veil being lifted. I listen to a lot of music with chorus...Gurrelieder...that sort of thing and never enjoyed it as the chorus always sounded rough and ragged. No such problem using my smartphone...the clarity is astounding compared to the mud I was listening through before).

Both smartphone and Macbook utilise the same wifi arrangement (mesh network). But the smartphone uses Qobuz's app and so it's not possible to say if it's the Macbook or the browser on the Macbook that causes the delays between tracks. But nay bother...I'll be using the smartphone from now on.
                Yes, I’ve always used the iPhone/iPad app (via Airport Express) and always revelled in the sound.

I have the impression that the output from the iPad is better, there is no doubt a detailed technical reason for that but anyway I use the iPad for serious listening.

Glad you’re sorted. I’ve certainly never had any gap issues.
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Anastasius
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                  Great news!

Did you every try the Qobuz app on the Mac? Of course depending on how old the Mac is it’s possible that the app isn’t supported.
                  The MacBook OS is too old. As is the MacBook !

Comment

• Stunsworth
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
                    The MacBook OS is too old. As is the MacBook !
                    Thanks.
                    Steve

Comment

• Beresford
                      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      Yes, I’ve always used the iPhone/iPad app (via Airport Express) and always revelled in the sound.

I have the impression that the output from the iPad is better, there is no doubt a detailed technical reason for that but anyway I use the iPad for serious listening.
                      I would be interested to know if the qobuz app on the iPad sounds better than using Safari. We have a mark 1 iPad and use Safari, with Bluetooth or headphone output, for qobuz and BBC iPlayer, and I suspect that the sound from Safari may be more compromised. Also I suspect that our iPad won't support Airport Express.

Comment

Working...
                      X